Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the compressed schedule, would it benefit Rafa to play Valencia, than Monte Carlo...take a week off, and then play Rome? I think this is the course he should have scheduled when he saw how compacted the schedule was.

He plays in Spain AND he gets a much needed week off in this insane portion of the schedule.

As it is, will there be, with the Olympics too, ANYONE on the tour who escapes injury or fatigue?:mad:

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Knee jerk reaction at its best.

The guy is flying from Miami, then playing a Davis Cup tie on hardcourt and then you think it's a good idea to play an event straight away on clay.

That's MTF logic at its best.

Barcelona is an ISG event and Valencia isn't.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Well the OP obviously has a point. Will Nadal be able to play four tournaments on clay - where he is expected not to lose a single match - in four weeks? That's a tough prospect, especially if you consider how spent he looked in the Hamburg final last year - and back then he had only played 3 weeks in a row (as far as I remember).

It would have been sensible to skip Davis Cup to play Valencia and drop Barcelona in the hope of winning all three clay TMS events.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Rafa is scheduled to play every year in Spain's most important clay tournament (Barcelona) which is a proud to all spaniards to play it. And it is a very important tittle, so I see very difficullt to skip it.
He will play it for sure, he also defends the title there.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Rafa will win 20 matches in 28 days. Count on it.

:worship::rolleyes::sad:
It doesn't sound like a bad idea.
However, Raf is committed to his "home tournament" Barcelona (like Fed is committed to Basel).
But, I agree, he can't play his current schedule and still be able to walk...
Somethings gonna give. :sad:

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Cataluña >>> Spain, so he should stick with Barcelona :p

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Yeah he has a bit of a dilemna, for sure. Can't really see him favouring Valencia over Barcelona...obviously loves playing at the latter venue, and it offers considerably more points, so it is better worth his time. But playing 4 consecutive weeks is mad, and, for this reason, I'd be drawn to siding with Jimnik in thinking it might be best he forfeits Hamburg (not as if he hasn't done this before). But I guess if he does that, he isn't helping his cause in the battle for #1. :lol:

No idea what he should do.

·
Registered
42,421 Posts
Rafa will win 20 matches in 28 days. Count on it.

:worship::rolleyes::sad:
Yeah and with your magnificent prediction skills now we can be sure Rafa to lose 1st rd in every clay court tournament. :worship::rolleyes::sad: :tape: :eek:

·
Ace Loveforty
83,410 Posts
skip Barcelona and play just the 3 Masters if he is smart

·
Banned
42 Posts
What a ludicrous idea, Barcelona is probably the most prestigious and highest order clay tournament outside of the masters series, and even has more prestige than Hamburg. Not to mention it has significantly more points than Valencia.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes, I'm totally agree, Barcelona is the most prestigious clay court tournament right after the Master Seriers (Monte-Carlo, Rome and Hamburg). So it's almost imposible to skip it. And Rafa wants his fourth crown there. :)

·
Banned
220 Posts

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
skip Barcelona and play just the 3 Masters if he is smart
That would be the smart option thinking about maximizing points, but Nadal definitely believes that Monte Carlo Barcelona and Rome are the most convenient tournaments to prepare for RG, so with that in mind I would be surprised if he skips Barcelona. He will play 3 weeks then drop Hamburg if he goes deep in all three events.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That would be the smart option thinking about maximizing points, but Nadal definitely believes that Monte Carlo Barcelona and Rome are the most convenient tournaments to prepare for RG, so with that in mind I would be surprised if he skips Barcelona. He will play 3 weeks then drop Hamburg if he goes deep in all three events.
That's what I would advise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts