Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nadal has just won his 33rd Masters, beating his own record and has nothing to prove on that score. He has also won 730 more points than his combined total last year from Canada and Cinci. He has a terrible draw in Cinci and doubtless could do with a rest before the USO, which is infinitely more important. Should he therefore withdraw?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
No.

However, Rafa should not push his body too much, if he can't. US Open title defense is the key.

There is a week layoff between Cincinnati and US Open. Take it easy and use Cincinnati to get as many matches as he can under his belt. The winning momentum is with Rafa. Why handover the advantage to old man and joker?

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Yes.

Hope he does.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think you have a point. But I suspect he wants a couple of more matches to be completely ready. Besides, he likely won't play again until Wednesday, which will give him a couple of days down time. That draw is gonna be rough, but you never know what may happen.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
He feels good and will perform the sweep again so no. With a Cincy and us open he can rest until tour finals.
He has to play mickey mouse tournament of Beijing to keep the Asian fans Happy, dont forget it.

Im with you here.. give his all try to win Cinci-USO and then take a long rest... until WTF... maybe play some an entretaining mickey mouse like Beijing or Basel in between.

·
Bunned!
3,050 Posts
He should but he wont.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Nadal has just won his 33rd Masters, beating his own record and has nothing to prove on that score. He has also won 730 more points than his combined total last year from Canada and Cinci. He has a terrible draw in Cinci and doubtless could do with a rest before the USO, which is infinitely more important. Should he therefore withdraw?
Well when you put it that way ....

I've never liked seeing fans thinking they know how to manage their players schedule better than the player himself, but I guess we can say what we think without implying we think we know enough to say it's what he should do ...

Cincy does seem wrong. His chances there aren't fantastic given the speed of that court, though I realize he won it in 2013, beating Fed on the way to Isner in the final.
The concern is of injury from playing too much (by the time the USO is underway) or tiring himself out for the USO.

But if he feels healthy and wants to play it, I have to trust his judgement.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well when you put it that way ....

I've never liked seeing fans thinking they know how to manage their players schedule better than the player himself, but I guess we can say what we think without implying we think we know enough to say it's what he should do ...

Cincy does seem wrong. His chances there aren't fantastic given the speed of that court, though I realize he won it in 2013, beating Fed on the way to Isner in the final.
The concern is of injury from playing too much (by the time the USO is underway) or tiring himself out for the USO.

But if he feels healthy and wants to play it, I have to trust his judgement.
I agree, only he knows how he feels, so despite my opening gambit I'm not suggesting that he should withdraw, although I shan't be disappointed if he does (providing it's not due to injury of course) for the reasons I've given in the OP.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
23,064 Posts
It's so weird that he decided to withdraw AFTER deciding to fly to Cincinnati -- I wonder if he's going to stay there though for tournament commitments, but then again it's supposed to be automatic that he's waived from those responsibilities, from what I know, being fully exempt from Masters Commitment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts