Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should Nadal play in the post Wimbledon- pre-Masters events?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really not expecting anything but an early exit at Wimbledon at this point with such low ranking.. But i'm starting to think that part of any potential resurgence for Nadal will entail that he starts to win again, i mean win anything..You know something like what Murray did last fall (Shenzen/Vienna/Valencia)-- a stretch of regaining old habits of winning and pulling through even on a small tier ..

Nadal is probably not recapturing pre-2014 self, but at least there is a tennis reality to be found again for him where he isn't getting clowned by the likes of Fognini and Verdasco...

·
Registered
19,417 Posts
Re: Should Nadal enter the summer MM events (Hambourg/Washington etc..)?

Yes, he should, I expect another early exit in Wimbledon for him too but he could get some better practice before the US Open series

·
Registered
3,209 Posts

Really not expecting anything but an early exit at Wimbledon at this point with such low ranking.. But i'm starting to think that part of any potential resurgence for Nadal will entail that he starts to win again, i mean win anything..You know something like what Murray did last fall (Shenzen/Vienna/Valencia)-- a stretch of regaining old habits of winning and pulling through even on a small tier ..

Nadal is probably not recapturing pre-2014 self, but at least there is a tennis reality to be found again for him where he isn't getting clowned by the likes of Fognini and Verdasco...
Murray didn't really beat any decent players on that run, it was mainly vulturing points to get a top 8 seed for Australia. How much confidence will he get beating up on mugs and what if he loses to them a la Rogie 2013? I think he needs to spend more time on the practice court hitting forehands.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

The good thing is he doesnt have points to defend. Those hurdles are all gone. So the only way to go is up.

Im curious to know which racket hes going to uso.

The old one or the new one.

·
The special one
14,810 Posts

No, he's already playing stuttgart and queens and those clay tournaments between aus and iw, he's just going to end up burning himself out if he plays too much and end up injured for another 6 months, the guy never learns

·
Banned
858 Posts

No he shouldn't. He will reach at least semis at wim (if avoids djoker). Book it. Nadal's mugginess is overrated on grass. Last year he could make a final and even could have won it if not the best serving day in Kyrgios' career. He has plenty of time to adjust his game for grass and gain confidence. His serve improved a lot at RG -he even had better average speed on 1st serve than Djoker in QF. If he finds his fh, he can shorten the points by coming to the net. His backhand was decent too in that QF btw..

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

He should play Hamburg and some other 250 - now not sure which one based on how is calendar. Anyway Hamburg might be good for him, 500 points is pretty good number for his current ranking and it´s not like he is lock for title there so he might even play some tough matches, potentially get confidence, match practice so he can at least play as average top 20 on faster summer surfaces in NA

·
Bring it Home
21,144 Posts

No, too much danger of drawing The Fogmeister in Hamburg, would be schooled again. :devil:

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Who cares.

Player who is not top 10 playing on MM tournaments. Big deal.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Nadal should spend some quality time on the beach with Juan Monaco, it worked for his last come back.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,916 Posts
He made a mistake in not playing Brisbane earlier in the year.
well he chose Doha (he was defending pts there)...but Brisbane is a quick court and he got knocked out by Berrer of all people. Not convincing

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
I say keep the normal schedule. playing excessive tournaments at this age will do nothing for him. his form comes back or it doesn't, but Nadal's not stupid, at this point in his career he's not going to get some magical fake confidence from winning smaller events

he should just focus on practicing in his off time in the summer and stick to the big events

recall he lost at Wimbledon 2013 early and didn't play all summer (I believe if memory is correct) and came back and dominated that summmer HC events.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

Clearly the latest comeback hasn't worked out great so far, so trying something different is worth a shot. If what Nadal lacks is game wins and confidence, then it could really help. If his speed and stamina is going, then it might harm him to play more tournaments physically. That said, if he's crashing out early at events the latter won't be a problem.

On a related note, I'm surprised he switched racquets in the middle of the season, like Federer attempted. Surely that kind of drastic change should be done at the end of a season, not when you're trying to build points on tour and under pressure to do so?

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That Stuttgart draw has an early exit all over it for him with Baghdatis/Rosol going Dreddy Brown on him. He has to get a minimum of 6 matches between Stuttgart/Queens to have any remote chance at clearing a couple of rounds in Wimbledon..

·
Registered
3,095 Posts

What will happen with Nadal is he will fall out of the top 20. And everyone will count him out and focus on Djokovic. Then he may surprise people and win a few. The glory slam days are over. The hard running he has done over the last decade has caught up with him.

The first thing to go in all athletes is the legs. That's why you don't ever see any 40 year old Olympic sprint champions. At the moment we have a Nadal playing at 60% Not good enough to beat the top 10. The last year he was playing at 80% plus was 2013. And look what he did.

Me personally I wouldn't mind if he retired. He has achieved things in this sport I believe will never be surpassed.

9 FRENCH OPENS. And 10 consecutive years with at least one slam. Are never getting broken. He is a clay God and a tennis legend. He could retire today. And enjoy life and forever be an ALLTIME great.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
It would be interesting to see him come to Washington. I expect Hamburg, maaaaaaaaaybe Gstaad before the two M1000s.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts