• Unsure

Votes: 7 8.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would allow him to hit the grass early again. No point beating up his body for a tournament he can't win or go particularly deep in.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree with this. It seems clay aggravates his back (which the surgery doesn't seem to have fixed :sad:) and a BO5 clay tournament is likely to cause damage. It's starting to look like the upcoming grass season might be his last chance to do something significant and he must be in the best shape possible when it arrives.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I think it depends on how confident he is that he'll do damage on the grass. If he's very confident that he will, then maybe it would be for the best. If not, then he can't afford to miss out on picking up GS points, as sad as it sounds.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Naah, besides, I doubt he would want to skip it. Says doing well there is one of his goals for the season.

Could do with getting a coach that knows his way around the surface, if one is on his shortlist.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think it depends on how confident he is that he'll do damage on the grass. If he's very confident that he will, then maybe it would be for the best. If not, then he can't afford to miss out on picking up GS points, as sad as it sounds.
He also needs to get his form back and you only do that with real matches. Actually, same with confidence. So, unless playing is going to make his back worse, I say play on.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Says doing well there is one of his goals for the season.
He's surely just saying that because it's what's expected of him though? A bit like how he said he needed more matches on clay to develop - then scheduled his way to playing as little on clay as possible.

Unless this surgery somehow bears fruit over time, I don't think we'll ever see him do anything of note on clay again. I just hope he can find his form on hard/grass again, because it's concerning at this point. Looked like he was getting somewhere in Miami, but unfortunately that was the last event before clay...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wouldn't make a difference. Going out in Round 1 of Roland Garros or not coming there at all = Who cares? Result is the same. His charismatic personality will be sorely missed though.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You people are all forgetting that he was a semi-finalist three years ago and lost a tight 4 set QF in 2012 to Vulture.

·
Registered
702 Posts
No.
He can't just always skip this part of the season, he needs to be consistent or atleast try to be on all surfaces, and it's a SLAM for God's sake.
He is still a highly marketable name, even tho he is pretty weak on this surface it will still add a + to RG.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
No.
He can't just always skip this part of the season, he needs to be consistent or atleast try to be on all surfaces, and it's a SLAM for God's sake.
He is still a highly marketable name, even tho he is pretty weak on this surface it will still add a + to RG.
This.

He needs to play on clay. He needs more matches. He has to improve his rankings and get his confidence back. I don't think him skipping RG would help him defend W at all. He'll be vulnerable at Wimbledon this year for obvious reasons (his form is not that great, he hasn't had any big wins this year, his back is probably not 100% etc).

·
Your visions will happen
47,123 Posts
Hell no. He needs to work himself into the shape. Rome result, RG result means shit. Let's say QF in Rome and even R16 in RG would keep him in a nice spot for the grass season.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Nah, nothing pleases me more than seeing the boring Scot get thrashed in a BO5 match.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Hell fuckin no.

He needs more matches, more and more on clay. Lost in QF in Rome and in 4th round at RG? Doesn't matter. Keep working. And grass season stars.

He needs time. He will be OK.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Andy has played a lot this year, he does not need more matches.

He has admitted his confidence is low, and its only going to deteriorate further if he plays Rome and the French Open. I think he got a mental edge from hitting the grass early last year which helped him deliver the ultimate.

Why risk aggravating an injury on a surface that causes him bother so close to Wimbledon? He is nearly 27, focus on what you are good at and stop wasting time chasing something that ain't going to happen.

Next year there is an extra week before Wimbledon, so play the French then. Defending his Wimbledon crown should be at the forefront of his mind right now.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts