Votes: 47 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 56 54.4%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think he should, there are other Aussies that have done much over the past 12 months and deserve a shot at the main draw ahead of Philippoussis...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
His (lack of) performance suggests that he isn't deserving of one. However, because his attendance will likely increase ticket sales and TV ratings (in Australia), thereby promoting the game there, I would be surprised and disappointed if he didn't get one. Besides, there aren't exactly many young Australians deserving of one.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
No. Last time he got one I had to watch him in my night session get cained Grosjean. What a fucken waste of 50 bucks for the ticket.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
No. Last time he got one I had to watch him in my night session get cained Grosjean. What a fucken waste of 50 bucks for the ticket.
Well if it's not him, it will be some other Aussie young guy who will also get caned in straights. I don't think it's going to come down to wildcard to the Poo v/s wildcard to any tennis player from any part of the world. They will find an Aussie to give it to

·
Registered
98 Posts
^^^^ doubtful because they wouldn't put a young aussie guy that no one knows on Rod Laver for the night session :)

I don't think he is deserving of one, if he earns one by playing for it then that's ok but he shouldn't be given a free ride :)

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
He is entered in the draw for the WC playoff next week (check the thread in the AO tournament section). If he makes a legitimate effort to play that, but loses anyway, I would not be surprised if the AO powers go ahead and give him one of the other WC's anyway. Same thing with Smeets and Lindahl, maybe Healey too.

In a similar vein, and absolutely not worthy of a new thread, who should get the USTA wildcard? It seems like the USTA is not doing a playoff (although I suppose I should ask around about that), Young is in, Isner is only 3 out and will probably get in. Should Robby Ginepri get it (now that his DC buddies have written to the USTA on his behalf) or should it go to a younger player like Jesse Levine or Wayne Odesnik?

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
How many Australian MD WC's are on offer? i know theres one for france and juniors but how many for just the aussies?

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
How many Australian MD WC's are on offer? i know theres one for france and juniors but how many for just the aussies?
From the entry list in the AO forum

121 (WC) Istomin, Denis UZB (Asian champion)
122 (WC) TBA (USTA)
123 (WC) TBA (FFT)
124 (WC) TBA (AO wildcard playoff champion)
125 (WC) TBA (TA)
126 (WC) TBA (TA)
127 (WC) TBA (TA)
128 (WC) TBA (TA)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Regardless of the tournament, I always feel it's a better idea to give WC's to young-and-upcoming players, if only for encouragement, rather than to obvious hasbeens (and sorry, Poo fans, but he IS a hasbeen...).

But we all know, 'money talks and shit walks', so I wouldn't be too surprised if Scud indeed gets one. Well, he'll be out in round 1 nevertheless.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
I'm his fan but it's really getting ridiculous. Every January he comes and asks for a wildcard after doing virtually nothing for the past year. He should try and get through the qualifying draw, it would be good for him at this stage to get some matches in.

He should only get a WC if he officially announces his farewell (like Arthurs last year), if not just give it to the youngsters such as Nick Lindahl, Greg Jones and Brydan Klein. At least they would make good use of the experience.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Should Robby Ginepri get it (now that his DC buddies have written to the USTA on his behalf) or should it go to a younger player like Jesse Levine or Wayne Odesnik?
It should go to a younger player like Odesnik, Levine, or whomever among the US men played well the past three months, but still can't get straight into the AO.

Why are they not having the playoff? I never liked it because they put an age cap on who could participate, but it was a semi fair way to disperse the available spot.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm his fan but it's really getting ridiculous. Every January he comes and asks for a wildcard after doing virtually nothing for the past year. He should try and get through the qualifying draw, it would be good for him at this stage to get some matches in.

He should only get a WC if he officially announces his farewell (like Arthurs last year), if not just give it to the youngsters such as Nick Lindahl, Greg Jones and Brydan Klein. At least they would make good use of the experience.
What really put me off on Mark this year is his going over the Gavin Rossdale's house to get 'practice'. Rossdale is not ideal practice partner material. That made it clear that he was not serious about his tennis. Where is his head?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
What really put me off on Mark this year is his going over the Gavin Rossdale's house to get 'practice'. Rossdale is not ideal practice partner material. That made it clear that he was not serious about his tennis. Where is his head?
:lol: Yeah, that sounds like it'd be more of a hit-and-giggle.

He then later got some "practice" by playing on the Seniors tour (where he lost two matches) which would be okay if he went on to play challengers but he hasn't played anything since.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Hmmm

4 Aussie WCV should go to

Alun Jones Def
Robert Smeets Def
Nick Lindahl Prolly Def
Hmm this one is hard Sirianni? Klein? G.Jones? Philippoussis

1 - 20 of 80 Posts