Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Madrid was a great location when it was an indoors MS1000 tournament, but basically because of Nadal they changed it to an outdoor clay tournament so that they could celebrate his triumphs in the country's capital.

But it has not worked out as well as it should, as the high altitude causes the bounce and pace to be not to Nadal's liking. Furthermore, the outdoor setting made the tournament seem more empty and listless and really took away from the atmosphere. Not to mention, most players regard the location to be not ideal for replicating conditions at RG.

The obvious compromise, if even that, is to have it as an indoors clay tournament. Better acoustics and atmosphere, and the air pressure can definitely be adjusted to mimic low altitude conditions much better.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
First of all, I thought it was money grubber Tiriac who pushed for the calendar change so he could get the more prestigious Euro clay slot? It also makes some sense that Spain's Masters, if they have one at all, should be clay regardless of what Nadal might do best on as clay is clearly the cultural surface of the country. Barca would certainly be a better host for the event but that's not going to happen for several reasons unfortunately.

Second, the organizers seem to have made significant efforts to make the surface play more like traditional red clay. I know they completely re-did the laying of the clay a couple years ago and I'm guessing the clay itself and/or maybe the balls were adjusted. It hasn't played especially faster than Rome to my eyes these past two years and the conditions aren't bad at all for someone like Nadal now.

Finally, you won't get another pre-WTF indoor Euro Masters so long as Shanghai stays in its slot. The USO isn't moving, even if the weather would be better if they started a few weeks later, so there simply isn't space to fit in another Masters between Shanghai and Paris. And if a slot did open for another fall indoor Euro Masters, I'd prefer Rotterdam get it over Madrid.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, I thought it was money grubber Tiriac who pushed for the calendar change so he could get the more prestigious Euro clay slot? It also makes some sense that Spain's Masters, if they have one at all, should be clay regardless of what Nadal might do best on as clay is clearly the cultural surface of the country. Barca would certainly be a better host for the event but that's not going to happen for several reasons unfortunately.

Second, the organizers seem to have made significant efforts to make the surface play more like traditional red clay. I know they completely re-did the laying of the clay a couple years ago and I'm guessing the clay itself and/or maybe the balls were adjusted. It hasn't played especially faster than Rome to my eyes these past two years and the conditions aren't bad at all for someone like Nadal now.

Finally, you won't get another pre-WTF indoor Euro Masters so long as Shanghai stays in its slot. The USO isn't moving, even if the weather would be better if they started a few weeks later, so there simply isn't space to fit in another Masters between Shanghai and Paris. And if a slot did open for another fall indoor Euro Masters, I'd prefer Rotterdam get it over Madrid.
I said indoor clay. Not indoor hardcourt. The clay component makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
^ Whoops. Apologies for not reading closely enough. It never would have crossed my mind to have Madrid close it's roof during the spring as the weather is quite beautiful. I still think the changes the organizers have made are enough to make it play properly as an outdoor clay event. It's really just the crowds, the antiseptic nature of the facilities, and the lack of history that make Madrid suffer by comparison to the other big Euro clay events at this point.

·
Super Moderator
22,648 Posts
Indoor blue clay!
Not sure about indoors, but I would like to see blue clay back as well, the problem was obviously something else, not the colour, but now that they know what the issue was and it was fixed, I don't think it would be a problem having blue clay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts