Mens Tennis Forums banner

Should the rule book be changed to take the Gamesmanship out of Injury Time Outs

  • Yes- there should be no injury time outs

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Yes- injury time outs should still be allowed but only at the umpires discretion

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes- injury time outs should be limited to a certain number per match (not one for every body part)

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • No- Injury time outs are legitimate and should be left the way they are

    Votes: 4 20.0%

  • Total voters
    20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PMac:I'm sick and tired of injury timeouts and they've got to stop!

This is a continuation of another thread started by Tennis Fool
 

·
#freeviktor
Joined
·
93,849 Posts
Was it necessary to continue this in another thread? I'm pretty sure the one was satisfactory. :shrug:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're probably right but what the hell, no harm no foul
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well actually I don't know or care how the v-cash thing works.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want you can have all of mine :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if my understanding is correct a player can have a 3 minute evaluation period and a 3 minute treatment period for every injury sustained on court. Theoretically then a player could have 6 minutes for each leg and 6 minutes for each arm. That would be a total of 24 minutes. Plus they could use the bathroom for a "reasonable amount of time" between each set. Plus treatment for "loss of conditioning" which is separate from the injuries. So it seems that the TO possibilities are nearly endless

BTW, how does it work, do I get money for every post or something, cuz if thats the case i should be v-rich
 

·
Gugaholic
Joined
·
84,779 Posts
Blowe said:
if my understanding is correct a player can have a 3 minute evaluation period and a 3 minute treatment period for every injury sustained on court. Theoretically then a player could have 6 minutes for each leg and 6 minutes for each arm. That would be a total of 24 minutes. Plus they could use the bathroom for a "reasonable amount of time" between each set. Plus treatment for "loss of conditioning" which is separate from the injuries. So it seems that the TO possibilities are nearly endless
I think I was wrong on only 3 medical time out.

BTW, how does it work, do I get money for every post or something, cuz if thats the case i should be v-rich
You earn vcash from creating a thead, make a post and other posters post in your thread or even read your thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,866 Posts
6 Gm threads started in your first 24 hours as a member here. Impressive (to some).

Welcome to the board. Have you been to any of the other forums here?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, its just that the last few days of tennis haven't been exactly exciting (including today) and I didn't make any other plans cuz I thought I would be enjoying some good tennis. Just trying to pass the time. :shrug:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,866 Posts
It has been kind of a letdown since the Agassi-Blake match I suppose. The Pierce-Dementieva match had interesting moments, but I'm kind of itching for the men's semis tomorrow.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this one just got interesting. I am for anybody but Yuri Sharapova :p (I know how much he hates that)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When people call him Yuri Sharapova he gets all angry (well angrier than he normally is)
So to me he will always be Yuri Sharapova
 

·
Gugaholic
Joined
·
84,779 Posts
Blowe said:
When people call him Yuri Sharapova he gets all angry (well angrier than he normally is)
So to me he will always be Yuri Sharapova
Oops, sorry missed your point. I rather call him something else but it's not very nice, so.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
I don't think they should be allowed to have injury timeouts. I'm with the commentators. Any other sport and when there's an injury the player comes of. Take for example football/soccer. Should a player get injured after the manager has already used three subs then they have to play on with 10 men regardless. Rules aren't changed because of injury.
Players shouldn't have to go out and be mentally tough when another player asks for a medical time out. Players go out to play a game of tennis, and albeit that there is a mental element in tennis needed, its unfortunate that so many players seem to be able to find loopholes in the rules to put their opponent off. I feel for Dementieva tonight, because apart from the timeoutand all the rest of it, i find when i watch mary pierce that i want to jump through the screen and push her into moving a bit quicker, imo her slowness (albeit part of her game) is a greater threat than an injury timeout.

But the timeouts are bad for the game, too many players use them as an excuse these days.
 

·
Gugaholic
Joined
·
84,779 Posts
Caren said:
I don't think they should be allowed to have injury timeouts. I'm with the commentators. Any other sport and when there's an injury the player comes of. Take for example football/soccer. Should a player get injured after the manager has already used three subs then they have to play on with 10 men regardless. Rules aren't changed because of injury.
Players shouldn't have to go out and be mentally tough when another player asks for a medical time out. Players go out to play a game of tennis, and albeit that there is a mental element in tennis needed, its unfortunate that so many players seem to be able to find loopholes in the rules to put their opponent off. I feel for Dementieva tonight, because apart from the timeoutand all the rest of it, i find when i watch mary pierce that i want to jump through the screen and push her into moving a bit quicker, imo her slowness (albeit part of her game) is a greater threat than an injury timeout.

But the timeouts are bad for the game, too many players use them as an excuse these days.
You can't compare a team sport to an individual sport.

In addition, injuried players in soccer are allowed to be treated by trainer. Once they recovered, they are allowed to return to the game. So, what's the difference here?
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top