Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it should. It's a great surface. At least 2 MSs,

Week 1: Halle (MS1000)
Week 2: Queens (MS1000)
Week 3: 250s
Week 4-5: Wimbledon

Take Madrid and one of IWs/Miami out of the masters.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
This is never going to happen as long as Bald is playing. But it would sure be great to see more grass tennis.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Would love more grass, but where exactly would you fit two masters between RG and Wimbledon? Besides, two masters in consecutive weeks is a bad idea IMO. Or is one to appear randomly in the season, sort of like IW and Miami now?

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
This is never going to happen as long as Bald is playing. But it would sure be great to see more grass tennis.
This. I love grass tennis, we don't get nearly enough. So unfair that there aren't any masters on grass.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
It would be cool if it was extended but unfortunately the OP is an unrealistic blueprint:

Madrid won't go; too much money. Same probably goes for Miami and especially Indian Wells.
Queens isn't big enough, or so I've heard, and cannot practically be enlarged.
Back to back Grass Masters right after the French Open would see many withdrawals and tanks. You'd need to put a week of 250s, then a Masters, then maybe another week of 250s, then Wimbledon.

Plus I'm not sure how much control the ATP has over the actual scheduling of Slams - because here you'd need to move at least two and maybe even three depending on the exact timeline. Wimbledon is moving back in the near future but this will be a slow process.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
this has been overdiscussed in the past, you may as well merge this with an older thread (there are many with the same topic). The answer always obviously, and rightfully so, is yes. but it is difficult to change the calendar with so many contracts and committments.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Of course it should

·
Registered
73 Posts
I want it to happen but it won't. The French and the clay events will never move forward in the calendar and wimbledon cannot move back anymore than it's doing in 2015 as it will clash with the Open golf and impact on the US hard court and olympics.

One way of having more grass court tennis Would be for the Australian Open to move back to being played on grass. The Australians have a rich history of grass court tennis. As the event Is so early on in the season the only other events on grass would need to be the Aussie warm ups - Sydney, Brisbane...

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
most pressing issue in tennis today

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
1st of all its been like this since i can remember. Its not about Rafa so i dont know why some tarts are calling Rafa out and or blamming him for it.

Its probably because hes been so dominant. Hey its life.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Tennis is outdoor sport and indoor tournaments are already enough. Just serve, serve, serve. BTW, i'd like to get more of a grass season because it's not only serving joke. The surface is great and brings a lot of touch skills, crazy volleys and tactics. Also good on eye rather than robotic indoor tournaments.

2 Masters too much. I'd say add one more week, make Queen and Halle 500 tournaments and make that extra tournament Masters. Hertogen and Eastbourne should stay as 250s. (pre Wimbledon) They will make Halle and Queen 500's, so that's great news but still no Masters tournament.

Right now we have 3 clay masters and 6 hard court masters. 6 is too much i think. Still, regardless of these tournaments special status, i can't see one of them going down as 500. (though, i think Paris should really be 500, hardly laughable tennis there) I think they can make it 10 Masters tournament and make that grass tournament not mandatory like Monte Carlo. Or they can say you should play one of Monte Carlo or that grass tournament. So clay court lovers can play MC while grass lovers play grass masters.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Isn't Nottingham more suited for hosting TMS than Queens?

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
1st of all its been like this since i can remember. Its not about Rafa so i dont know why some tarts are calling Rafa out and or blamming him for it.

Its probably because hes been so dominant. Hey its life.
They should remember that Rafa has 2 Wimbledon title and 3 finals on that surface. Maybe he lost badly in last two Wimbledon but he's still a great player there and he always says he's loving grass more than hard court. He actually doesn't love hard courts.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Isn't Nottingham more suited for hosting TMS than Queens?
I don't think we would be able to finish a tournament in Queens with all of those rain delays. :eek:

Halle is great on that spot, they have roof! And since grass court matches mostly short, they can play dozens of matches on centre court if even rain is consistent.

Z

·
0 Posts
Why can't they have 1-2 grass masters after Wimbledon? Like they have with Indian Wells and Miami after Australian Open.

It wouldn't be as epic, but it would avoid the scheduling conflict with RG and Wimbledon.

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
No, need more indoor hard.

There needs to be more fast HCs on the tour IMO.
The grass season was already extended for next year and will be 6 weeks (including Newport) long. That's almost longer than the European Clay season. :tape. The grass fanatics really have no reason to complain.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
There needs to be more fast HCs on the tour IMO.
The grass season was already extended for next year and will be 6 weeks (including Newport) long. That's almost longer than the European Clay season. :tape. The grass fanatics really have no reason to complain.
The duration may be similar, but the point distribution is not.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Also there is SA tour for clay courters. (turning Acapulco into hardcourt was a joke, it was part of a clay season!) And after Wimbledon there are lots of clay tournaments until Cincinnati.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts