Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Would like to see Feliciano López keep playing at least until his active streak of 75 consecutive grand slam appearances is broken. Plus, currently he is neck and neck with Federer for the record of most grand slam appearances ever, 79-76. If he qualifies for a full year after Federer retires he will have the record. Eventually that record will likely be broken, but he would always remain ahead of the longevous Federer.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Would like to see Feliciano López keep playing at least until his active streak of 75 consecutive grand slam appearances is broken. Plus, currently he is neck and neck with Federer for the record of most grand slam appearances ever, 79-76. If he qualifies for a full year after Federer retires he will have the record. Eventually that record will likely be broken, but he would always remain ahead of the longevous Federer.
He's on the perilous cliff right now of having to start qualifying for GS's :oops: I'm all for his streak to continue but unless he makes a really good run at a tournament soon, it seems like he's gonna drop out of the top 100 (edit - it's such a headbanger to follow the points deal these days with all the covid extensions and what not - but as i see it he's got 500 points to defend from Queens - that's almost half his points! So i guess he'll still get French and Wimbledon MDs... but after that 😬) and once you're in the meat grinder that is GS qualifying... that's rough territory for an older guy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, 100% He has been solid player for decades and a real sport, I have never heard of him doing or saying anything detrimental to tennis. I was so glad I saw him play at the recent AO, in the last match he won. Though I did leave after the second set because I really didn't think he'd win.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Oh and on-topic of course he should award himself a wildcard and school some youngster with serve and volley on the fast Madrid clay

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,661 Posts
Wouldn't be a good look for him. He prob should not play at all if director

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Wouldn't be a good look for him. He prob should not play at all if director
Who would protest though, He wouldn't do it himself, he would be given a WC by popular acclamation ... seriously, who would object?

I think it would be a pretty cool moment if when other staffers were the last two announcing WCs they would surprise him with his own. But moments like this aren't allowed anymore in this PC world. :(

Oh well, it would be a fun story 🤷‍♂️ , but i'm sure he knows the regulations by taking the position. Maybe he'll just do some goofy doubles exhibition to kick it off or something.

He's in the Barca main draw at least, and i'm sure he'll play Mallorca.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
12,661 Posts
Who would protest, He wouldn't do it himself, he would be given a WC by the masses by acclamation ... seriously, who would object?
Nobody...but i been there...if you play director and there is issue in your match...its really awkward

Reactions: Matthieu

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
He may as well - if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as the great Federer by chasing a few of his records, well so be it and if it keeps the doddery amigo happy.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Lopez has enough work on his plate as TD, he can't play it and should not play it. Though Judy Murray would disagree.
Feli can play tennis and can also quickly sprinkle the clay, water it, and sweep the court during changeovers.

It's definitely doable.

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Feli can play tennis and can also quickly sprinkle the clay, water it, and sweep the court during changeovers.

It's definitely doable.

You'd never catch Wafa doing that, he'd be too busy chucking towels at ballboys.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wait!! Does he need one? I thought he was ranked high enough to get a direct entry. God knows there will be a bunch of withdrawals.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
Interesting paradox we got here :D

But I think that would be a bit controversal and not even allowed. And he's got enough to do as a tournament director 😎

21 - 40 of 41 Posts