Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we know, he's the tournament director now, and has said he will retire from playing this year.

I think it would be magnificent for him to get a swan song in his hometown and home tournament in Madrid to put a cap in the hat of his fantastic incredibly long, successful tennis career!

Wildcard haters would of course go ballistic but I do believe he deserves and has earned his right to give himself a WC to his tournament, Madrid. 😎 (y)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I think that it was not allowed for a tournament director to participate. But I could not tell you if that is written down somewhere in the ATP rulebook. But fairly logical indeed. The thought behind it must be correlation between competition and too much influence in fixing things for your own benefit and by that damaging the credibility of the competitive spirit and sportsmanship.
Therefore it will not happen.

Reactions: Matthieu

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that it was not allowed for a tournament director to participate. But I could not tell you if that is written down somewhere in the ATP rulebook. But fairly logical indeed. The thought behind it must be correlation between competition and too much influence in fixing things for your own benefit and by that damaging the credibility of the competitive spirit and sportsmanship.
Therefore it will not happen.
Yep, admittedly there are probably plenty of rules that would not allow it to take place. (though I do not know this for sure!) Too bad really, soulless ATP...😔 Vasek & Novak would let him play. 😎

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Would be too funny if he did. For the meltdown alone.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The only sure thing about Madrid wildcard all over the years is Copil!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't Tommy Haas playing in IW as a director ?
I did a quick look, he was named director in June of 2016 and the last time he played Indian Wells was 2014. So no...

...Still, can anyone find in an ATP rulebook if there's anything about tournament directors/staff/whatever playing in said tournament?

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
It would be brilliant if its WC Feliciano Lopez vs. Federer R1 (y)

Reactions: Matthieu

·
justice for all
17,602 Posts
Can't you see any conflict of interest? 😬

·
Registered
61 Posts
As we know, he's the tournament director now, and has said he will retire from playing this year.

I think it would be magnificent for him to get a swan song in his hometown and home tournament in Madrid to put a cap in the hat of his fantastic incredibly long, successful tennis career!

Wildcard haters would of course go ballistic but I do believe he deserves and has earned his right to give himself a WC to his tournament, Madrid. 😎 (y)
What he’s retiring?! Since when?!

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
This article says Tommy Haas was unable to play IW because he was tournament director so we might as well move this thread to the Ruins along with all of Matthieu's other threads.

Though Haas was unable to play at Indian Wells due to being the tournament director

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This article says Tommy Haas was unable to play IW because he was tournament director so we might as well move this thread to the Ruins along with all of Matthieu's other threads.

Fine, ruins it is, the question is answered. 🤷‍♂️ Though realistically why and how would Feli do anything uncouth by putting himself in the draw? sure it won't be possible, but it should be.

(cheers for the unnecessary attack though, so i'll tell you what isn't so fine though... I've been here five years, you've got 11k posts and I've literally never heard of you. :oops: )

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Didn't Ferrer play multiple times at Valencia, even though he was one of the tournament directors there, although he's ranked high before to be seeded, much less even needing a WC.
Interesting info (y) anybody got any more details on this?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Lopez has enough work on his plate as TD, he can't play it and should not play it. Though Judy Murray would disagree.

Reactions: Mateya

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Didn't Ferrer play multiple times at Valencia, even though he was one of the tournament directors there, although he's ranked high before to be seeded, much less even needing a WC.
No, JC Ferrero was tournament director of Valencia, Ferrer was only one of Ferrero's fellow licence holders of the tournament. Ferrer only became Barcelona tournament director in 2019 after he retired from tennis.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts