Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets be honest. Fed beat both murry and djoker in 2012 with his back hurt using ps 90 inch frame. Fed was doing just fine through aussie 2013 with the old stick. Remember how good the backhand was in roland garros 2011 with the old stick.

I think the new raquet is getting too much love from when federer was injured last year.. If you compare him to 2012 I dont see what it really is helping him out in.

I mean sampras had that ridiculous serve with a ps 85 sq inch.. The backhand, volleys, and serve were already there in 2012 and he lost that extra bite on his backhand slice which only appeaared a few times in 2014 wimbledone. This is all come down to federer's kill shot.. the forehand... it has been hampered into more of a pushing shot with the new stick.. and agaisnt the likes of djokvoic.. he needs that kill shot in the rally to turn the tables..... you can say age or whatever but as soon as he switched raquets that forehand kill shot is not there all of a sudden...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Not completely out of the question, but his backhand is unquestionably better now. It's harder to abuse that side now and it's keeping him in rallies as a result. Forehand is another matter altogether.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It may be keeping him in rallies but he needs that kills shot to win the more important ones against the likes of djokovic, murray.. he's not going to beat those guys in consistency off the ground.. he's going to beat them with that one or two blisstering forehands and closing the net or getting the winner or unforced error...

And for the those who thinks it helps his second serve.. maybe at this age yes... but fed had wicked kick even more than now in his heyday with the older 90 sq racket.

i mean just look at the first set highlights here... backhand is fine against nadal on a hard court.. and the forehan was scary still..

This is aug 2013 federer just gettig back into form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwlCYjdn5I4

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
His FH was a bit better on hard courts in Dubai,IW but he is still not very confident in his FH . Maybe he needed to play more matches on clay before Wimbeldon but he could not because of the birth of his boys. It is normal that his FH will need more time but it will get better . I think Djokovic when he changed his racquet took him one year and it was not
such a big change as Federer made after 17 years.

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
No he shouldn't imo. He made a change and it's so far giving him great results as compared to last year so he should stick to it. And he wasn't injured for the whole of last year tbf. Just in few parts. Serve looks much better, and that's is the most important weapon. Backhand as well of course. As far the forehand is concerned, its not the new racket, his forehand was just fine in Dubai/AO/Brisbane, it looked pretty powerful, so from that we can conclude that the problem lies with Federer, not the racket, it seems that he lacks confidence with it recently, he is not confident to go aggressive with it. And for a player like Federer, it's very important to have confidence in your shots. He needs to sort this out.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
No he shouldn't imo. He made a change and it's so far giving him great results as compared to last year so he should stick to it. And he wasn't injured for the whole of last year tbf. Just in few parts. Serve looks much better, and that's is the most important weapon. Backhand as well of course. As far the forehand is concerned, its not the new racket, his forehand was just fine in Dubai/AO/Brisbane, it looked pretty powerful, so from that we can conclude that the problem lies with Federer, not the racket, it seems that he lacks confidence with it recently, he is not confident to go aggressive with it. And for a player like Federer, it's very important to have confidence in your shots. He needs to sort this out.
This.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There is nothing to discuss here... he shouldn't switch.
1. He is getting slower and slower and you need perfect timing when playing with a 90 sq inch racquet.
2. He has recurring back issues and the new racquet gives him easier power on the serve.

The only thing he needs to do is to adjust his forehand motion a bit.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I wondered about his FH in Halle, actually, and whether it was just that he hadn't got used to playing on grass with the new racquet, or whether there is some sort of grass-related problem there. It'll be interesting to see how he does when he gets back on the hard courts, but no, I don't think he should switch back at this stage.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Lets be honest. Fed beat both murry and djoker in 2012 with his back hurt using ps 90 inch frame. Fed was doing just fine through aussie 2013 with the old stick. Remember how good the backhand was in roland garros 2011 with the old stick.

I think the new raquet is getting too much love from when federer was injured last year.. If you compare him to 2012 I dont see what it really is helping him out in.

I mean sampras had that ridiculous serve with a ps 85 sq inch.. The backhand, volleys, and serve were already there in 2012 and he lost that extra bite on his backhand slice which only appeaared a few times in 2014 wimbledone. This is all come down to federer's kill shot.. the forehand... it has been hampered into more of a pushing shot with the new stick.. and agaisnt the likes of djokvoic.. he needs that kill shot in the rally to turn the tables..... you can say age or whatever but as soon as he switched raquets that forehand kill shot is not there all of a sudden...
You are absolutely right.
At this age if federer continues with the current racquet, he is going to get his wrist injured.
Federer should switch back to his old racquet with which he played his entire career.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
-Lifetime Scientist-
12,199 Posts
You are absolutely right.
At this age if federer continues with the current racquet, he is going to get his wrist injured.
Federer should switch back to his old racquet with which he played his entire career.
You just want to see him losing more, Mr. Fedhater.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You just want to see him losing more, Mr. Fedhater.
Some times you get good suggestions from tennis fans.
If I want him to lose more, I would have said..."federer should continue to use bigger racquet."

Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
His forehand looked fine on the hardcourts this year. I don't think his best ground game has ever come at Wimbledon even in his best days so if I had to hazard a guess I'd say his FH is going to look better the rest of the year than what it was at Wimbledon. But in no way is he changing the racquet considering it's been branded now. It has helped with his serve which is the most important thing. Without that, he wouldn't be doing as well as he has this year.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Not completely out of the question, but his backhand is unquestionably better now. It's harder to abuse that side now and it's keeping him in rallies as a result. Forehand is another matter altogether.
new racket:
backhand is way more consistent
forehand is top20? quality

But in no way is he changing the racquet considering it's been branded now.
link?
edit nevermind
http://www.wilson.com/betterer/us/

"betterer" lol
i guess thats that

·
Registered
82 Posts
His forehand looked fine on the hardcourts this year. I don't think his best ground game has ever come at Wimbledon even in his best days so if I had to hazard a guess I'd say his FH is going to look better the rest of the year than what it was at Wimbledon. But in no way is he changing the racquet considering it's been branded now. It has helped with his serve which is the most important thing. Without that, he wouldn't be doing as well as he has this year.
Mate, Federer certainly did show the best ground game ever seen on grasscourts, and his footwork used to let you thinking OMG how this man covered so much field so quickly to hit a inside out forehand. he's just heavier and needs to retire. He used to get winners from nowhere in this surface from both wings.

His forehand Used to get a lot of his energy out of his legs pushing upwards, now hi lost that. Needs to retire.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts