• No

Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think he will skip Paris and play WTF. How many opportunities will he get to play WTF? He might not even make it through next year, anything can happen at this stage of his career.

All the off court work in the world will not help a 37 year old man maintain his energy playing 3-4 matches in 4-5 days.

His legs get tired, his serve goes off, he has to work harder to hold serve, his legs get more tired, he starts mishitting balls cause his brain tells him to go for it but his legs didn't the message and he misses the shot.

He is 37, not 27. The problems in his game are not practice related. If Fed practiced as much as Nadal, he would never ever enter another tournament ;). If he took the rest of the season off and came into Australian Open with 3 months rest, he will still be feeling sore and tired if he made it to week 2.

We are near the end. The pattern is obvious, aging affects recovery time, confidence and consistency. Ask Sampras, Agassi, Edberg, McEnroe,etc. The effects appear marginal but the impact is dramatic. Hence, we see Federer getting more frustrated in more recent matches. He knows what is going on and he knows he can't stop it from happening. He is still capable of amazing shots but less capable of high level of play throughout a full tournament. Every victory is an achievement going forward.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Yes. He is likely to go 0-3 so why bother with WTF.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
In the WTF he'll be in a group with either Nole or Nadal....

It does get better...Cilic has been even worse of late...Dom is very beattable and if Nishikori makes it he beat him comfortably just the other week.

Think it will be same as last year, he'll be comfortable in the group (more so if he lands in the Nadal one) and then loses to peaking opponent in semi final (even more so if he plays second and Djokovic is already confirmed finalist).

I don't see him pulling out unless injured.

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
If he's not injured then No absolutely not, the only reason he should pull out is if it's injury related, if he's out of form and unlikely to win the event then he should still show up and take his beating like a man, which i'm sure he'll do anyway.

Honestly, he's not playing great, but it's not terrible either. Final and SF in his last 2 Masters and SF (at least) in Basel. It's not like he's consistently losing early here. No reason not to play WTF if he's not injured.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Yes. He is likely to go 0-3 so why bother with WTF.
Really? Certain defeat v Nole and dare I say it probable if Rafa gets back in his stride but most of the other opponents have also been in mediocre form lately, likes of Cilic or Theim could end up in his group and he also beat Nishikori comfortably in Shanghai. Heck even Dimitrov could still make it....

Playing someone like Anderson would be difficult though particularly after the Wimbledon match. If you can beat Federer there you can beat him on any court.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
He will still probably beat Nadal in WTF, probably can scramble 600-1000 points and with some luck might win the whole thing, he just needs to avoid Djokovic, and I can see someone like Isner, Cilic or Anderson taking Djokovic out in SF and then even this decrepit version of Federer can find a way to win the whole tournament.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
He won't get many chances at WTF now. I can't see Fed playing beyond 2020. 2019 or 2020 will be his last year on tour. Ideally he should skip it.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
No he should play for sure. If he's not good enough to in it anymore then that's that. But at least try it.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
He will still probably beat Nadal in WTF, probably can scramble 600-1000 points and with some luck might win the whole thing, he just needs to avoid Djokovic, and I can see someone like Isner, Cilic or Anderson taking Djokovic out in SF and then even this decrepit version of Federer can find a way to win the whole tournament.
In that case that would be one of the biggest vulturing of the Tour Finals ever, he might try, but there is no guarantee that Anderson will do this dirty work for him.
Isner won't make it and Cilic is too dire for it anyways...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts