Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
53,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that he's clinched YE #1, should he skip Paris once again and rest up for TMC? At the moment, he is 1820 points clear of Nadal. However, as we all know, Tio Toni's magic has started to come back and Nadal's Paris draw is rather piss easy, with all the roasters save Youzhny and Gonzo on the other half, and those 2 sucking balls at the moment.

Optimistically, say Nadal wins Paris (shut up people, im just saying in theory, it may or may not happen, remember, hes never lost in Paris :p)

The gap then would be 1320, and then the TMC points would come off, and the gap would be 770 :eek:

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Personally, I don't think he will. But if he wants to win the title, he will have to improve his level and show more intensity than he did today.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Nadal will be roasted in Bercy regardless, probably in the final.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I think with 2 Basel titles now, Fed might skip it next year to go for Bercy.

·
Your visions will happen
53,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nadal will be roasted in Bercy regardless, probably in the final.
If he loses in the final, then gap would be 920 going into Shanghai

·
Your visions will happen
53,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is too close for comfort. He ought to play to keep a cushion, but he's rolling the dice.

Btw, you haven't given the points breakdown for Djokovic to narrow the gap to No.2
Well, if Nole wins, he'll have 4965, and lets say Nadal pulls out, Nadal will have 5185 :eek: Just over 200 points :eek:

So #1 and #2 both have their leads possibly becoming too close for comfort by not playing here. Nadal has no excuse to skip, Federer we dont know

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I hope he plays, but no, he shouldn't go. He looks like a tired man. He'll probably lose to Karlovic or at best to Nalbandian. He won't gain many points there.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
He looked to me today extremely quick in movement, no sign of fatigue at all. If his body permits, I hope he shows up in Paris AND with some decent play. The points difference is simply too small to feel comfortable.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
Yeah, if he wants to keep a good buffer between #1 and #2. I get the feeling that he is not concerned about #1 however and he only wants to beat Pete's record.

He may anyway bow out early from Paris if he plays like he played today.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
I hope so. It's not like he's had an energy draining week and the final was less than an hour. Yes the previous week in Madrid has to be factored in as well but he's a pro athlete and it's nearly the seasons end, he has a maximum of 10 matches left to play this year and I think he should stretch himself considerning he hasn't played Paris for years.

That said, I fully expect a withdrawal but if he doesn't it would be good. Problem for him is he has a very tough draw. It's not like he can play a round at 75% and still get through, either Ivo or Nando could punish him for that and then Nalbandian has shown how tough he is.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Now that he's clinched YE #1, should he skip Paris once again and rest up for TMC? At the moment, he is 1820 points clear of Nadal. However, as we all know, Tio Toni's magic has started to come back and Nadal's Paris draw is rather piss easy, with all the roasters save Youzhny and Gonzo on the other half, and those 2 sucking balls at the moment.

Optimistically, say Nadal wins Paris (shut up people, im just saying in theory, it may or may not happen, remember, hes never lost in Paris :p)

The gap then would be 1320, and then the TMC points would come off, and the gap would be 770 :eek:

I like you, Jonathan, but you jinx Nadal big time :p

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Yeah, if he wants to keep a good buffer between #1 and #2. I get the feeling that he is not concerned about #1 however and he only wants to beat Pete's record.

He may anyway bow out early from Paris if he plays like he played today.
I strongly disagree. I think he is VERY concerned with the #1 ranking, he always lists it as pretty much top priority for him. The slam record he is obviousl aware of but he isn't the type of guy who is going to JUST focus on slams, he wants to keep that #1 spot.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Well, if Nole wins, he'll have 4965, and lets say Nadal pulls out, Nadal will have 5185 :eek: Just over 200 points :eek:

So #1 and #2 both have their leads possibly becoming too close for comfort by not playing here. Nadal has no excuse to skip, Federer we dont know
Yikes. Well, Federer is probably taking the chance that by their playing in Paris, they will both have a little less left for Shanghai. I don't know :shrug:
There is also the issue that if he plays here this year, then he'll have to defend those points next year.

Nadal I really don't think would wd so your point differential between 2 and 3 is really the worst case scenario.

·
Your visions will happen
53,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like you, Jonathan, but you jinx Nadal big time :p
I dont believe in jinxes. If discussions on MTF can cause tennistic jinxes and make players lose or win, then we should never talk about anything pertaining to the future on here.

Since i dont believe it, I will say whatever i want :) ;)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts