• No, father time is undefeated.

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate what Ljubicic has done for Federer, but it's clear that his style of play isn't working anymore. Federer is making too many errors on standard basic shots because his reflexes have slowed down. He can't stand right on the baseline hitting half volleys and taking the ball early. He can't do that. I think time has come to get rid of Ljubicic and bring back Edberg or someone of the similar mold, because Federer needs to go back to his 2014-15 game to be a top contender again. He can't keep on playing this style of play or he will slide down the rankings really quick.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Does Edberg own the fountain of youth?

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
He should bring someone who practices returns on slow serves with him. It was evident from the beginning that the match would stand or fall with federers returns. Too bad they were even worse than all week

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
He can get a different coach for sure but I think he's done. 36-37 is the decline point in the current era I guess.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For an athlete, yes, he is old. I know Rosewall played into his late 30s as did Jimmy Connors, but it's quite rare. In this age of power tennis, these athletes' bodies are going to wear out even faster. We're seeing all kinds of injuries rarely seen in tennis in previous eras. They are damaging their bodies to win matches. But, then athletes do that.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Fed is also just unlucky. I mean when does he ever catch a break in a final? He got a peaking Delpotro at IW and he still should've won blowing 3 MPs which imo derailed his season completely.

Today he finally gets an opening and gets a zoning DJ. So I mean Fed just never catches a break. Always gets one of dull/faker/200% player. I can't remember the last time Fed got an opponent in the final who was playing worse than he was.

If he played someone like Cilic or botnic he could've won this tournament just like dull got sitsipas in Montreal instead of faker.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
He looked and played like a really old man in that match. His return game was worrying to say the least. I think at this pt, a sudden decline shouldn't be terribly unexpected. He should still be able to hang around the top 6-7 for a couple of years, just because of his talent and experience. We'll see how he fares at USO.

·
Registered
21,284 Posts
No. No coach can fix Federer. It’s old age. Federer was never gonna last forever.

But fact if he’s still making finals and still #2nd in the race he still has some years left of tennis. Big 3 are having their last hurrah, next gen gotta overtake them soon.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
That’s just ridiculous. Why should his return decline so much in a few months? The return brought him into the Indian Wells finals ffs he was serving terribly there. he was also returning extremely well in Stuttgart against much better servers than goffin and djokovic. But that del Potro match something is off. He lacks confidence in big matches. He is nervous and doesn’t know how to approach them anymore. Then suddenly also his return went awol in the fourth set against Anderson.

Looking at the stats the ground game wasn’t the issue. He won even more points in medium rallies and only one fewer in long rallies. The issue were the easy sitters and the excessive rushing to the net on bad approaches...

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Rosewall actually played until he was 43, but he remained competitive to the end. Despite his successful defence of the AO, Federer has been fading over the last year, so I don't know what he can do anymore, although he really shouldn't be making so many unforced errors.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s just ridiculous. Why should his return decline so much in a few months? The return brought him into the Indian Wells finals ffs he was serving terribly there. he was also returning extremely well in Stuttgart against much better servers than goffin and djokovic. But that del Potro match something is off. He lacks confidence in big matches. He is nervous and doesn’t know how to approach them anymore. Then suddenly also his return went awol in the fourth set against Anderson.

Looking at the stats the ground game wasn’t the issue. He won even more points in medium rallies and only one fewer in long rallies. The issue were the easy sitters and the excessive rushing to the net on bad approaches...
That Delpo match at IW seems to have destroyed him mentally. He was serving for the match and even had 2 MPs but choked and since then, his performances have been tragic, except for Stuttgart.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The coach is not Fed's problem. Djokovic is the problem.

Federer can deal with all the other players and beat them consistently but not Djokovic sadly.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The coach is not Fed's problem. Djokovic is the problem.

Federer can deal with all the other players and beat them consistently but not Djokovic sadly.
it's age

look at various players he's been losing to

in 2018 alone he's lost to

delpo
kokkinakis
coric
anderson
djokovic

after wimby 2017 he lost to

a zverev
delpo
goffin

and withdrew from others notably cincy

so djokovic is not the problem. it's old age.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
next gen gotta overtake them soon.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Only Federer is done but Nole still has quite some time to go, especially considering how light his last couple of years were on the legs.

But next gen? :spit: Come on :haha: :haha: :haha:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts