Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finals of Wimbledon, F in Toronto, W in Cincinnati

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Finals of Wimbledon, F in Toronto, W in Cincinnati
No, he still has to avoid certain opponents at his age and the amount of tennis he has played this year. He is certainly one of the favs. The thing is that if he has an off day he can easily go out or get involved in a 5 setter and ruin his chances.

Just look at 2012. He reached the final in Halle, won Wimbledon, final in Olympics, won Cinci and ended up losing in the QFs at the US Open.

I won't say he is one of the favs until he gets to the SF.

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
If history wasn't against Nadal in that he's never defended a non-clay title, I'd put him as the favourite. But overall I think Djokovic and Nadal are the favourites with slight edge to Nadal.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
It depends on the draw, I think he has a good chance but if Nadal plays and manages to get through the early rounds i can't see him beating him. I think Djokovic will beat Nadal though so he would be my favourite despite his recent form.

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
If history wasn't against Nadal in that he's never defended a non-clay title, I'd put him as the favourite. But overall I think Djokovic and Nadal are the favourites with slight edge to Nadal.

i understand ur a fan but u know pretty well rafa has got to win a few games on HC to have a chance so if ur trolling its ok but if ur not, thats so :eek:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, he still has to avoid certain opponents at his age and the amount of tennis he has played this year. He is certainly one of the favs. The thing is that if he has an off day he can easily go out or get involved in a 5 setter and ruin his chances.

Just look at 2012. He reached the final in Halle, won Wimbledon, final in Olympics, won Cinci and ended up losing in the QFs at the US Open.

I won't say he is one of the favs until he gets to the SF.
Imo based on form fed should be the Us open favorite. Tiredness could play a factor but just off firm he's the favorite

We don't even know if Nadal is going to play

·
Registered
20,715 Posts
Fed's consistency and focus is just what the doctor ordered for best of 5 matches. Add to this how tight he is in every under pressure situation and you'll be on road to find out how this thread has no sense

·
Registered
36,855 Posts
he is not the fav, still think its nole even if he is 1-4 in F but just slightly fav

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Cincinnati, despite being the last big warmup event before the USO hasn't been barometer of success in NYC, and in a shockingly big way..Since 1990, of the past 24 Cincinnati Champions only 6 went on to take home the USO (Agassi in 1995, Rafter 1998, Roddick in 2003, Federer in 2005 and 2007, and Nadal in 2013)...

For Federer, I think it still really depends whether Nadal and Djokovic got their shit together or not..

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
US open fave's:

1. Nole
2. nadal if he plays
3. murray
4. wawa
5. federer

For fed to win... he has to hope he avoids being in nadals half, avoid birdshit and murray quarterfinals, and perhaps even a tsonga r4 which could cost him energy even if fed does manage to win it and even if nadal doesn't play and nole is in the final against fed.. its noles match to lose..

Wawa has shown the ability to beat nole, nadal, and birdshit and murray in slams and multiple of them that is why he goes ahead of federer provided he makes it that deep... Fed may in form now but that usually means shit for the us open which is super slow tennis on arther ashe. Plus lets hope the guy didn't overplay and pays for lack of freshness... If federer is around on super saturday and is not facing nadal then we can see.. too many obstacles before hand and djoker is going to be super fresh and nadal if he plays will be super fresh and they can play themselves quickly into form and happen to play amazing regardless of form if fed is across the net.

You cannot be ranked high as a favorite if you need so many factors to go down for a chance to win... nole, nadal, wawa, and if murray avoid nadal can all eseentially beat anyone else and have teh stamina to do it and not be affected by prior rounds.

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
US open fave's:

1. Nole
2. nadal if he plays
3. murray
4. wawa
5. federer

For fed to win... he has to hope he avoids being in nadals half, avoid birdshit and murray quarterfinals, and perhaps even a tsonga r4 which could cost him energy even if fed does manage to win it and even if nadal doesn't play and nole is in the final against fed.. its noles match to lose..

Wawa has shown the ability to beat nole, nadal, and birdshit and murray in slams and multiple of them that is why he goes ahead of federer provided he makes it that deep... Fed may in form now but that usually means shit for the us open which is super slow tennis on arther ashe. Plus lets hope the guy didn't overplay and pays for lack of freshness... If federer is around on super saturday and is not facing nadal then we can see.. too many obstacles before hand and djoker is going to be super fresh and nadal if he plays will be super fresh and they can play themselves quickly into form and happen to play amazing regardless of form if fed is across the net.

You cannot be ranked high as a favorite if you need so many factors to go down
Agree with most except avoiding Murray in the QFs. Maybe in R4, yes.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Based on the last few tournaments, I think he is the favorite. But Djokovic, Nadal and even Murray may be saving their best tennis for the USO, as often happens.

·
Administrator
6,070 Posts
No. Djokovic had a bad couple of tournaments but he is still the best player in the world, should be fresh and motivated for USO, and the first few rounds should help him shake off any rust and get back into form. If Nadal plays he will always be the favourite against Federer, and we've all seen what happens when Nadal comes back from injury - even if he starts out badly her has every chance to scrape scrape his way through the early rounds and be fine for the late stages.

Beyond that, I think Wawrinka could be a big threat if he manages not to bomb in the early rounds, and there's always a chance that this will be the tournament Murray plays like a top 10 player again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Djokovic is the slight favourite. He will show his beast form at the us open! That's what the top players want. Nadal if he plays could win it too. He a beast in slams too bar Wimbledon now. I still will be surprised if either djoko or nadal don't win it. Federer 3rd favourite though

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No chance, it's still Djokovic. But the draw will be interesting unless Nadal pulls out.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
favorite to reach the final? Maybe. Winning it? I can't see it... He needs a lot of help. I would love for him to win it. But he needs Djokovic's wife's help. Only a sextuplet would stop Nole from winning the title there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts