Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at Novak's schedule and he doesn't have any tournaments scheduled between RG and Wimbledon. I think playing Queens last year really helped Novak get his grass preparation in for Wimbledon, despite losing the final to Cilic. He was so low after RG last year and needed the confidence boost before Wimbledon. I think playing Queens again would help him again this year, surprised he isn't playing tbh.

·
Registered
284 Posts
One thing is confidence, but another is ranking points.

Queens is only a 500 points and there is the problem,Nole is so far ahead in the rankings he really don't need the points he would gain by winning queens

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
One thing is confidence, but another is ranking points.

Queens is only a 500 points and there is the problem,Nole is so far ahead in the rankings he really don't need the points he would gain by winning queens
Well it really depends how he does at Wimbledon and the summer hardcourt season. In the race Nadal is already only 20 points behind and will be 780 points ahead if he wins tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,493 Posts
Either Queens or Halle.
Though the Queens field used to be stronger, and it could help him to regain some lost confidence.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well it really depends how he does at Wimbledon and the summer hardcourt season. In the race Nadal is already only 20 points behind and will be 780 points ahead if he wins tomorrow.
He is so far ahead in the live ranking and when it comes to the year end I think he would bet that he would better then Rafa in Wimby and the rest of the year on hard courts that he can skip a 500 tourny

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Yes, not for ranking points, but for grass preparation and confidence boost. But I’m afraid he may give it a pass this year. Last year he was just so low in confidence.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Yes so he can continue working on his new net game strategy, he's shown some skill. Just for the memes, Djokovic storming through the field at Wimby with serve and volley would be hilarious.

I mean just think about it, he's a world class gymnast. What volley couldn't he get to if he really put his mind to it?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Based on what I've seen this year so far. I don't think he needs a tournament before Wimbledon. There is a busy 3 months ahead, 2 slams and 2 masters is plenty to keep him busy.

I think Djokovic can win Wimbledon without playing an ATP event before hand. In my opinion Djokovic is more of a favourite for Wimbledon than the US Open. I don't see who has the serve/return combo to hurt him.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
He played it last year because he barely played in the clay season and was low on confidence due to his loss against a journeyman.This year he has played 15 matches in 4 weeks so I think he'll skip it .

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Djokovic does not need Queens. It is completely irrelevant. He won W before without any preparations. Last year was different because he was 'coming back'.

Djokovic doesn't need any points, so NO. He will not play any grass tournaments except SW17.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
he doesnt really need it. he'll get a draw at wimbledon that likely allows him to work himself into the event. he's gone without playing before wimbledon before

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Don't think he needs to. I expect him to win Wimbledon again. I think we will get a new major winner at the US open this year, so most likely two majors for Djoker this year.

·
6,246 Posts
He'll probably skip it, but I think it would be a good idea this year to play it, as he did last year.
He is not as young as he used to be, and needs the continuous match play on the grass to get his rhythm back.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Don't think he needs to. I expect him to win Wimbledon again. I think we will get a new major winner at the US open this year, so most likely two majors for Djoker this year.
Defending two more slams seems like a tough task to me, after having to deal with the pressure of a potential NCGS until yesterday. He may well fall short of both.

·
Registered
346 Posts
He doesnt really need it because his game is there and also because rest of the field (bar the obvious big names) are mostly weaker on grass than on hardcourt, but by the time he has his first real test, his game will be where it needs to be

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Defending two more slams seems like a tough task to me, after having to deal with the pressure of a potential NCGS until yesterday. He may well fall short of both.

Defending the US open is tough, no one has done it for years and years. Players are often running on fumes, and carrying injuries. Djoker is a fast court player these days, grass suits him well. As you are a Federer fan, you are hoping Djoker does not defend Wimbledon, but Djoker won Wimbledon last year when he was not even at his best. Djoker would need a draw from hell not to win Wimbledon this year. Many players would have to tire him out, which is tough on grass, as Djoker gets more free points on serve. It's Djokovic's to lose.

I picked him to win his first major in 2 years at Wimbledon, and he did it. I see him defending Wimbledon, just like he did in 2015.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The way things have been going lately, if Djokovic does decide to enter Queens, the next thing you know someone will be accusing him of "taking" a wildcard without asking for permission first. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts