Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In the past few weeks, there have been many discussions about where Rafa should be ranked at the French Open. My contention is that considering how hard it is to win a major, the defending champ in each major should be automatically ranked #1 for the next year's event regardless of the rankings. Sure, funny things could happen if someone gets injured for 9 months and does not play at all. But if majors are so hard to win, the previous winner should earn to defend it as the #1 seed.

What do you think? Why or why shouldn't this happen?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even for Cilic, I am for it. Look, he won the title. He should earn the right to defend it as #1 seed and would probably lose early but so be it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
seedlings? :superlol: Too much Pseudofed this McEnroe.

In all seriousness, no. Rankings exist for a reason. I don't agree with how Wimbledon manipulates the seedings and I don't believe that doing the same in every other GS is the solution.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
In the past few weeks, there have been many discussions about where Rafa should be ranked at the French Open. My contention is that considering how hard it is to win a major, the defending champ in each major should be automatically ranked #1 for the next year's event regardless of the rankings. Sure, funny things could happen if someone gets injured for 9 months and does not play at all. But if majors are so hard to win, the previous winner should earn to defend it as the #1 seed.

It can be much harder to get to the finals from the other strong half or after strong tournaments before the slam than winning the slam sleepwalking through own rigged half and tired opponent in the final or not playing tournaments before or losing early therein e.g. Sampras skipping clay season for Wimbledon, Borg AO etc.

If 2000 points is not enough to get you no.1 seeding then you don't deserve it.

Additional points from the clay tournaments the previous year, similar to Wimbledon, would be another plausible solution, or if injured for the better part of the year then maybe automatically becoming seed no.5-8 but not higher.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
So, a player possibly ranked in the 10-18 range come the U.S. Open, should become the number one seed, overtaking players who have played more consistently than him over the past 12 months?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
It's boring. He is 7th so will be 7th seed, unless someone from top6 will pull out. That's why we have this fucking ranking to use it for seeding purposes.
Nadull :wavey:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, a player possibly ranked in the 10-18 range come the U.S. Open, should become the number one seed, overtaking players who have played more consistently than him over the past 12 months?
If majors are as hard as we think they are, then I am for it. It's just for the tournament he won. Heck, in soccer they used to have the defending champ automatically quality for the next tournament, which was way worse

It's boring. He is 7th so will be 7th seed, unless someone from top6 will pull out. That's why we have this fucking ranking to use it for seeding purposes.
Nadull :wavey:
I am not a Rafa fan around. I'd dance in the streets naked when he loses at RG. This was just a general suggestion and not for FO only.... :D

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
No, McEnroe does not have it right.

The defending champ should not even have to play in the main draw.

He should only have to face the winner of the main draw where normal seeding is in place.

The defending champ has earned this privilege. I'm sure William Renshaw would agree. :shrug:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
596 Posts
You could maybe make a case if Rafa had won a few Clay Masters leading into RG...

·
21,326 Posts
Got beaten to it

He should only have to face the winner of the main draw where normal seeding is in place.

The defending champ has earned this privilege. I'm sure William Renshaw would agree. :shrug:

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could maybe make a case if Rafa had won a few Clay Masters leading into RG...
Totally not about Rafa. I am saying in general regardless of results in masters. Let's say Roger wins US Open this year but his ranking drops to 8th next season. With Nole #1, they could meet much earlier than they should. I think everyone would want to see #1 ranked vs. defending champ final in most cases, no?

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Respectfully,
masterclass
That's stupid and does not contribute to the discussion. Getting ranked #1 is different than not playing any matches. Now, this used to happen in the chess world and other sports in the 1900s but not anymore.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Totally not about Rafa. I am saying in general regardless of results in masters. Let's say Roger wins US Open this year but his ranking drops to 8th next season. With Nole #1, they could meet much earlier than they should. I think everyone would want to see #1 ranked vs. defending champ final in most cases, no?
I agree when it comes to marquee players, but no one wants to see a Nole v Cilic Us Open final. Not even Cilic.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

They deserve more, they should be placed automatically into the finals. Also they should get to own a third world country of their choosing.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
PMac is an utter moron.

Injuries and drops in form are part of the game. No one deserves special treatment. Rafa will be seeded low because he has sucked the last year, it's his fault and his fault alone.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
They probably should. But since it's never done Roland Garros can't just change it now because they feel like it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts