Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came to me in the other thread re; poor Oz records. It was brought up that Hrbaty had beaten Safin at Oz 2001 and that this was a surprise - which at the time I suppose it was, but then I thought to myself "then again, Hrbaty should be better than he is".

What I mean, is players who have loads of talent and athletic ability, but just don't put it all together most of the time.

I guess that some of these could also be classified into the "head case" catagory. However, I differeniate between the two. For example, Safin is a headcase and sometimes "should be better than he is". But he HAS put it all together before and won a slam, masters series titles, davis cup etc. Thus, I don't count him in this (along with others who are similar to him).

I am refering to players who are REALLY good, but never have been able to win big for various reasons...

Anyhow, so I still start us off with two prime candidates for "should be better than he is" :

Hrbaty
Kiefer

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
I think those are 'head case' too. It's just that Safin has the talent to win it all if he can put himself together while Hrbaty, Kiefer, etc even their heads can hold up for the whole tourny, their talent still can win it all for them.

You need talent to be in Top 20 in a consistent pattern and you need talent, mentality, dedication, determination and luck to win a slam.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really saying that I think these are players who could all win slams or be at the top of their sport - I'm just saying what I"m saying - they should be better than they are.

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Yea, I think Roddick is a candidate too. Sure, I don't think he's REALLY good, but he definitely can and could have accomplished more if he didn't have those mental breakdowns/letdowns of his...ie. over line call QF last year at USO v. Hewitt...who knows, maybe he would have eeked out a victory and then went on to win the Slam if he kept his cool? Maybe even a TMS or two under his belt..*shrugs*

Federer could be under this category too..and I'm referring to the earlier part of this year. He definitely has the talent as we all have seen...but he "choked" in tournies that he could have single-handedly won.

Safin, when everything's together is just scary.:eek: IMO he is able to beat everyone 6-3, 6-4 ish at their respective bests. He makes those down-the-line power strokes look really easy and natural.

And can I add farmer Henman, on grass, to this? :eek: *ducks from incoming flying objects*

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Horror of horrors, Jan-Michael Gambill. He's made a few finals, and a quarterfinal at Wimbly, and played exceptionally well at this year's US Open, but where has he usually been?

And I'll add my boy Kratochvil to that list, too -- last year was almost his breakout year and this year he tanked after Wimbly :( He has major head problems, unfortunately :(:(

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
TennisHack said:
Horror of horrors, Jan-Michael Gambill. He's made a few finals, and a quarterfinal at Wimbly, and played exceptionally well at this year's US Open, but where has he usually been?

And I'll add my boy Kratochvil to that list, too -- last year was almost his breakout year and this year he tanked after Wimbly :( He has major head problems, unfortunately :(:(
I think JMG is still not yet fully recovered from his injuries. For whole year, he's not playing 100% and then the confidence level starts to drop.

For Michel, I think lots of tennis players (may be professional sports player too) somehow get down a bit after their berak out year.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree about Gambill.

I don't feel he is top ten material exactly, but I do feel that at his best he's a solid top 20 player.

But injuries and spotty results have prevented him from keeping his rank where it should be.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nicolas Kiefer definitely... But I believe he could find his best form next year :)

Another player: Karol Kucera, Greg Rusedski

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Lee said:
For Michel, I think lots of tennis players (may be professional sports player too) somehow get down a bit after their berak out year.
Oh, yes, I think we've seen evidence of that in several players. And as Michel's biggest fan here on this board, I haven't given up on him, of course :) He played some big matches this year, then got down and got sick :sad: He seems to especially have this thing about not being able to close out a match against an injured opponent -- see Wimbly against Henman and Indianapolis against Haas.

I hope he can get over it and rock out next year :)

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Rebecca said:
I agree about Gambill.

I don't feel he is top ten material exactly, but I do feel that at his best he's a solid top 20 player.

But injuries and spotty results have prevented him from keeping his rank where it should be.
Agreed, I don't think he's cream of the crop material, but he's certainly better than his 50ish ranking.

I also wonder if he has the Anna K syndrome, liking the modelling and Hollywood lifestyle more than his game . . . just a thought!

Another player who has squandered his talent is Mark P. He doesn't have knees now, so I don't know how good his form can ever be again, but he certainly had big expectations -- and fell for the lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Federer should have a Slam already!!! He is Prince of Earth

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Okay, honestly, Vinciguerra... God I miss him

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Hicham Arazi is another one with amazing shots and ability but when things go just a fraction off he loses the plot and tanks :mad: :sad:

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's great to see some of you fellas acknowleding Dominik Hrbaty. I believe he fits well into the category. He is EXTREMLY fit, strong, skillful, and cool. He is heat resistant too, so he can win the 2003 AO. Hrbaty will wins grand slams, and be number 0 just give him time to figure things out. Another brilliant player plagued by injury is Mark Phillipousis. He also will win grand slams, given he gets a free run with injuries. COME ON HRBATY! GIVE IT TO THEM!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts