Mens Tennis Forums banner

?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some posters say, he must protect the body, but I can say 2 full and half days (likely night match on Wed to help him) will be enough for him to recover.

Obviously, after two titles in a row, one cannot expect Murray to conquer Rome as well :lol: But getting couple of matches in Rome, and ofc some points, before losing in QF wouldn't hurt him much. Will have 10-11 days before French Open.

What do you think?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I think he will play. He might decide to give someone else a chance to win a clay title for once though

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
I couldn't for fault him for just taking a break and basking in his win, but I think he should continue his momentum. Everyone was clamoring for him to skip/tank Madrid, and that would have been a folly of epic proportions.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
In that case he should definitely play...then fake injury and retire after 0:4 in the 1st set...Saving the humanity is high on the priority list of Lord Clayray, OBE.
You'll have a lot of hard years in the near future...courtesy of Borna Ćorić. :D

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
He's played a lot of matches, but not really a great deal of games. Kohl took a set, but the 3rd was a bagel so that wasn't too demanding. Granollers only won two games total. Raonic was a serve fest and those aren't too hard physically. Nishi and Nadal were fairly short matches.

Kinda evil draw though: Chardy, Goffin/Tsonga, Ferrer, Djoko, Nadal.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm sure he'll play a few matches but he won't fancy getting into a grindfest with a Ferrer-like player. If he faces someone like him he'll just go for everything and hope for the best. Similar conditions to RG though so he shouldn't skip it entirely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, he has momentum. Rome historically is where clayray has played his best clay court tennis. Tough draw, but i'd like to see him vs nole when he's in this form.

That's the biggest hurdle left for him now, getting that win vs nole.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Only if he feels okay.

He has a chance to win his tenth clay court match in a row against Chardy. I think he has managed ten wins in a row on hard and grass, so a victory over the Frenchman would complete the set.

That would be a nice thing to achieve.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Tankray will probably play 1 match before giving a W/O. No way is he giving that pr11ck Coric a place in the draw as a LL.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
If he feels able, then he should play. Points are points. Didn't Murray narrowly lose the #2 seeding to Nadal at the USO'13? Who knows when something like that could happen again.

If he loses early then just chalk it up to fatigue and move on.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts