Mens Tennis Forums banner

Shot clock choices - pick one closest to your opinion

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put this also in the time violation new rules thread that has a lot of posts regarding the general subject, but maybe this deserves its own thread. Mods can decide whether to merge or not...

AP LONDON -- Roger Federer says shot clocks might soon be introduced to speed up play.

After advancing to the third round at Wimbledon, Federer said the ATP Player Council is discussing such an extreme measure because of players abusing the rule allowing 20 seconds between points at Grand Slams.

Federer, who fears tennis could lose viewers and fans if it's too slow, said, "I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen all of a sudden. Because you only just need a couple of guys always doing it, and that's when it happens."

The council's next meeting is in August.

Among the players often infringing on the rule is Rafael Nadal, who was criticized Thursday by his second-round opponent, Lukas Rosol, for his slow pace.

source

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Didn't this guy step down as the president so why is he still trying manipulate the council.

Tell him tennis viewership is doing fine.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts
Re: Federer: Shot clocks might soon be introduced to speed up play.

Lack of legit TV coverage is what we really need to be worried about when it comes to global TV viewership, not a few extra seconds to recover after a long rally.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts

I think it's a good decision if they are to put a shot clock. Not that I as a fan have any problem with players taking time between points, and I don't think it's bad for the game as Fed puts it. However, since they have this rule so they better enforce it. And having a shot clock is a good idea.
My post from the other thread. I don't think tennis viewership is suffering at all due to players taking time between points. I agree with Johnny Groove's post above.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts

finally some good action will be taken to prevent constant cheating, especially from the current #1

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It looks like the time may have finally come for a tennis shot clock. Or is this a tactical warning shot? The details of implementing one might be tricky. Maybe a new timekeeper umpire will be needed as the chair has enough to do, but perhaps with the chair's oversight.

Poll?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Lack of legit TV coverage is what we really need to be worried about when it comes to global TV viewership, not a few extra seconds to recover after a long rally.
Faster play = more viewers

Slower play certainly does not help TV ratings. No one can watch 4-5 hour matches.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Shot clock needs to be introduced because tennis is a joke. Also men should be prevented from making pregnant women noises to distract players during points. Nadal, Grannolers,... they are pretty up there as bad grunters. You can't take tennis seriously when players don't respect the rules.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

Shot clock needs to be introduced because tennis is a joke. Also men should be prevented from making pregnant women noises to distract players during points. Nadal, Grannolers,... they are pretty up there as bad grunters. You can't take tennis seriously when players don't respect the rules.
But nobody would watch tennis without Nadal taking 40 seconds between serves :confused:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

But nobody would watch tennis without Nadal taking 40 seconds between serves :confused:
The ATP is gutless... let's see, players get coached where to serve during grand slam finals, they take 40 seconds between points, they make distracting noises during points, take medical time outs and fake injuries, and who knows what else they do off the court, yet nothing happens to them. The ATP is more corrupt that FIFA

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I heard they are making a new rule where you can to hit to a players backhand more than twice

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Legit TV coverage is a concern, yes, with so many major sports vying for their share.

But it seems many viewers seem to prefer more continuous playing action to toweling off real or imaginary sweat, ball bouncers, and any other time wasting tactics. It's tennis after all, not golf, nor a chess match.

Matches are going on too long, because points go on too long, because they get too much rest between points and can reset their energy level to play more long points while we wait for someone to make an error. Then the time taken between each point also adds up. Speed up the play between points, points should get shorter, matches will get shorter, and maybe we won't have to deal with the nonsense that keeps surfacing about getting rid of best of 5 set matches in men's tennis.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
821 Posts

I put this also in the time violation new rules thread that has a lot of posts regarding the general subject, but maybe this deserves its own thread. Mods can decide whether to merge or not...

AP LONDON -- Roger Federer says shot clocks might soon be introduced to speed up play.

After advancing to the third round at Wimbledon, Federer said the ATP Player Council is discussing such an extreme measure because of players abusing the rule allowing 20 seconds between points at Grand Slams.

Federer, who fears tennis could lose viewers and fans if it's too slow, said, "I wouldn't be surprised if that were to happen all of a sudden. Because you only just need a couple of guys always doing it, and that's when it happens."

The council's next meeting is in August.

Among the players often infringing on the rule is Rafael Nadal, who was criticized Thursday by his second-round opponent, Lukas Rosol, for his slow pace.

source

Respectfully,
masterclass
Shame on federer for misusing power in such a way...If he cant beat Nadal..he should sit at home instead of doing all these politics.

He wants to kill tennis by speeding up the time...what is the fun if everybody does it within 20 seconds...where is the suspense...I like the time between the points and it builds up some tension for the people watching.

Federer wants to make tennis a boring game....as a players council head , he was never in support of players...but he is good at using this position to disrespect fellow players and his rivals.
He is playing all kinds of politics by creating player groups and asking them to attack his rivals.

Shame on you federer.

I hope the players realize federers divisive politics and teach him a lesson.

As a head of players council what the heck was he doing when Dmitry Tursunov insulted Nadal?
And how Dmitry Tursunov is ending up in mostly in federer's side of the draw?

·
Registered
26,785 Posts

I think clocks are a good idea. My problem is 25 seconds let alone 20 seconds. This is really stupid, don't players feel that? The time goes by much quicker now. So, I would suggest the players to make a decision about the clocks and changing time limit to half a minute.

·
Registered
100 Posts

So we will have players double faulting, collapsing on their serve after long rallies or after gruelling 3-4 hours of match and tennis will be about who will keep up with the stopwatch. And the crowd will be counting ten-nine-eight-seven-six when rooting against any player... Any distraction from the crowd, wind blow, necessity to clean outfit after dropping on clay court, untied shoelaces, сhange of rackets will cause point penalty for the server. OK, nice.

What is more , why 20sec? Why ATP insists on 25 sec, Majors - 20 sec? Who defined this figures? Why such a noticeble difference? Why on fast grass in Halle it's allowed 25 sec and on slow clay at RG, where there are much more long rallies, players should be fined for exceeding 20? Why taking 21 sec after 30 shot rally should be fined , while taking 20 sec between 2 aces is OK?

I still think that time violation is a deliberate delaying just to break opponent's rythm. For instanace, one player on average takes 25 sec between point and before serving to save BP takes 45 (significantly more) for no reason. It's a time violation. Not just exceeding this stupid 20 or 25 sec limit for 3 or 4 seconds.

·
Registered
821 Posts

I think clocks are a good idea. My problem is 25 seconds let alone 20 seconds. This is really stupid, don't players feel that? The time goes by much quicker now. So, I would suggest the players to make a decision about the clocks and changing time limit to half a minute.
I think a minimum of 35 seconds is required between points.

·
Registered
821 Posts

So we will have players double faulting, collapsing on their serve after long rallies or after gruelling 3-4 hours of match and tennis will be about who will keep up with the stopwatch. And the crowd will be counting ten-nine-eight-seven-six when rooting against any player... Any distraction from the crowd, wind blow, necessity to clean outfit after dropping on clay court, untied shoelaces, сhange of rackets will cause point penalty for the server. OK, nice.

What is more , why 20sec? Why ATP insists on 25 sec, Majors - 20 sec? Who defined this figures? Why such a noticeble difference? Why on fast grass in Halle it's allowed 25 sec and on slow clay at RG, where there are much more long rallies, players should be fined for exceeding 20? Why taking 21 sec after 30 shot rally should be fined , while taking 20 sec between 2 aces is OK?

I still think that time vilation is a deliberate delaying just to break opponent's rythm. For instanace, one player on average takes 25 sec between point and before serving to save BP takes 45 (significantly more) for no reason. It's a time violation. Not just exceeding this stupid 20 or 25 sec limit for 3 or 4 seconds.
This is the best post I have read in this forum.

You are absolutely right, but our federer wants to use his position to insult djokovic and nadal and so misusing it.

·
Your visions will happen
47,121 Posts

Faster play = more viewers

Slower play certainly does not help TV ratings. No one can watch 4-5 hour matches.
You pull this out of your ass?

Any research cannot be found?

:spit:

What's next? Players not allowed to sweat during a match? Not allowed to switch racquets? Not allowed to scratch balls? Jesus Christ people, are we so impatient we must change everything about the game just because we don't want to wait a few extra seconds between points?

Legit TV coverage is a concern, yes, with so many major sports vying for their share.

But it seems many viewers seem to prefer more continuous playing action to toweling off real or imaginary sweat, ball bouncers, and any other time wasting tactics. It's tennis after all, not golf, nor a chess match.

Matches are going on too long, because points go on too long, because they get too much rest between points and can reset their energy level to play more long points while we wait for someone to make an error. Then the time taken between each point also adds up. Speed up the play between points, points should get shorter, matches will get shorter, and maybe we won't have to deal with the nonsense that keeps surfacing about getting rid of best of 5 set matches in men's tennis.

Respectfully,
masterclass
Don't want long rallies? Then speed up the courts. Change the balls. Guys are hitting harder, running faster, expending more and more energy. You cannot have draconian 1914 rules for 2014 athletics.

Respectfully,
Johnny Groove

Shame on federer for misusing power in such a way...If he cant beat Nadal..he should sit at home instead of doing all these politics.

He wants to kill tennis by speeding up the time...what is the fun if everybody does it within 20 seconds...where is the suspense...I like the time between the points and it builds up some tension for the people watching.

Federer wants to make tennis a boring game....as a players council head , he was never in support of players...but he is good at using this position to disrespect fellow players and his rivals.
He is playing all kinds of politics by creating player groups and asking them to attack his rivals.

Shame on you federer.

I hope the players realize federers divisive politics and teach him a lesson.

As a head of players council what the heck was he doing when Dmitry Tursunov insulted Nadal?
And how Dmitry Tursunov is ending up in mostly in federer's side of the draw?
Agreed 100%, this guy knows what he's talking about

1 - 20 of 400 Posts