Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We already knew it will be a shorter entry list (12 teams) but most missed a lot of other informations...

It will be a shorter Event in many other ways....

Shorter length 5 days only which means if I am correct an only possible schedule : 3 days RR + SF + F (and probably 4 groups of 3 teams) and one only resting day during RR ( second day for seeded teams if they want RR3 not to be a dead rubber).

Shorter money (half 2020 money) with 6 millions € (this amount can be cut off to 3.6 millions € if no crowd finally allowed)

Shorter ATP points 500 (750 in 2020).

From rumours Teams should be selected with their #1 ranking which means :

SERBIA
SPAIN
AUSTRIA (with a second player like Novak at best, which is quite funny if that team is seeded)
RUSSIA
SWITZERLAND (if no forfeit)
GREECE (with a journeyman second player)
GERMANY
ARGENTINA
ITALY
FRANCE
CANADA
wc AUSTRALIA

and alternates BELGIUM and BULGARIA (and other journeymen as second player as Andreev is still very young)

No news about drawing but as pots are verysimilar we can have a group with AUSTRIA GREECE and FRANCE and a lucky SFist to face this group winner.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,294 Posts
We already knew it will be a shorter entry list (12 teams) but most missed a lot of other informations...

It will be a shorter Event in many other ways....

Shorter length 5 days only which means if I am correct an only possible schedule : 3 days RR + SF + F (and probably 4 groups of 3 teams) and one only resting day during RR ( second day for seeded teams if they want RR3 not to be a dead rubber).

Shorter money (half 2020 money) with 6 millions € (this amount can be cut off to 3.6 millions € if no crowd finally allowed)

Shorter ATP points 500 (750 in 2020).

From rumours Teams should be selected with their #1 ranking which means :

SERBIA
SPAIN
AUSTRIA (with a second player like Novak at best, which is quite funny if that team is seeded)
RUSSIA
SWITZERLAND (if no forfeit)
GREECE (with a journeyman second player)
GERMANY
ARGENTINA
ITALY
FRANCE
CANADA
wc AUSTRALIA

and alternates BELGIUM and BULGARIA (and other journeymen as second player as Andreev is still very young)

No news about drawing but as pots are verysimilar we can have a group with AUSTRIA GREECE and FRANCE and a lucky SFist to face this group winner.
have to say I was surprised by how well Dennis Novak and Pervolarakis played in hindsight there considering their relative inexperience. Not sure it will repeat though.

·
|
15,331 Posts
I hope it stays short forever.
Last year was a disaster with Nadal arriving completely out-of-form so having to grind for patriotism and burning himself out.
You cannot afford to go-for-broke when playing for your country, so you either have to win with form or win ugly.
Whereas if its just a regular lead-up event you can hit your way into form and if the errors flow its ok.

·
54,294 Posts
Last year was a disaster with Nadal being completely out-of-form so having to grind for patriotism and burning himself out.
he probably wouldn't have defeated Djokovic. Zverev may have been difficult too.

On the bright side I got to see Nadal live for the first time in my life in Sydney, though he lost that match (Goffin) despite me cheering for him. :cautious:

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year was a disaster with Nadal arriving completely out-of-form so having to grind for patriotism and burning himself out.
You cannot afford to go-for-broke when playing for your country, so you either have to win with form or win ugly.
Whereas if its just a regular lead-up event you can hit your way into form and if the errors flow its ok.
I am afraid considering Federer Nadal and Djokovic ages, ATP Cup gonna probably be longer than them.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have to say I was surprised by how well Dennis Novak and Pervolarakis played in hindsight there considering their relative inexperience. Not sure it will repeat though.

Well Pervolarakis lost 1 and 3 to FAA and 1 and 4 to Struff (not sure his opponents even tried hard) and just had a close 3 setter to Millman in a dead rubber...

Considering what both did afterwards and how Thiem Tsitsipas Zverev or Millman performed in AO, I am afraid big players rustiness and focuse on Slam made those journeymen appear far bigger than they really were.

But as usually fans and crowds like to believe in fairy tales....

·
54,294 Posts
I am curious whether you agree with this model. Singles players ranked outside 250 can only earn 250 pts max. I know it is highly unlikely that they would go undefeated in singles to the final, but that seems unfair to me to get just 55 pts there if they did manage the feat, while others get 75 pts just for a group win. I suppose the ATP sees things from the point of view of not wanting to "overrank" a player who would normally be playing ITFs, CH events [also from the point of view of opportunity, as not many such players would be included/"qualify"].

·
Registered
801 Posts
Greece won't play since only Australian Open main draw players and lucky losers will be allowed into the country. Unless Stefanos lists other Greek players as his player support team members at the expense of his coach and physio.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Greece won't play since only Australian Open main draw players and lucky losers will be allowed into the country. Unless Stefanos lists other Greek players as his player support team members at the expense of his coach and physio.
TBH I had the same feeling like you about Greece or Bulgaria but I guess ATP said it would be unfair not to allow Tsitsipas competing for big points because no other greek competitive player....

From ATP Cup web site updated news, "Eleven countries will qualify based on the FedEx ATP Ranking of its highest-ranked singles player. As host country, Australia will be given a wild card into the tournament.", it is quite obvious they will find a way to have another greek player in Melbourne blatantly travelling for this Event only (maybe Petros at his brother expenses).

ATP Cup 2021 Confirmed For February

·
Registered
12,266 Posts
Stefanos can test the ATP/WTA merge waters by asking Maria Sakkari to play. Why not?

\

I mean look at her shoulders and arms.
She puts Roger to shame, and probably several others...

And intensity that might match RAFA's

Ελα ΕΛΛΑΔΑ !

Come on GREECE! (y)

Hopman Cup > ATP Cup

Watchfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
801 Posts
TBH I had the same feeling like you about Greece or Bulgaria but I guess ATP said it would be unfair not to allow Tsitsipas competing for big points because no other greek competitive player....

From ATP Cup web site, "Eleven countries will qualify based on the FedEx ATP Ranking of its highest-ranked singles player. As host country, Australia will be given a wild card into the tournament.", it is quite obvious they will find a way to have another greek player in Melbourne.

ATP Cup 2021 Confirmed For February
I very much doubt they will find a way. The Victorian government couldn't care less about 'fairness' for Tsitsipas who, btw, could play a 250 if he wants points or match practice. What ATP Cup website says is irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I very much doubt they will find a way. The Victorian government couldn't care less about 'fairness' for Tsitsipas who, btw, could play a 250 if he wants points or match practice. What ATP Cup website says is irrelevant.
Victoria state will not interfere in who can enter individually or not, they gave Tennis Australia a total package of [xxx] people entering on January 15th and 16th and quarantined..... In this package there are obviously free spots as top players can buy spots for extra staff members and there is no option for Victoria State to interfere and favour individually Thiem physio over Djokovic PR or Mirka Federer.... If Tennis Australia decides to keep ONE spot for a greek player I guess they can, as well as they can do a minimal change into the number of players entering the country by giving more or less AO WC to locals.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stefanos can test the ATP/WTA merge waters by asking Maria Sakkari to play. Why not?

\

Ελα ΕΛΛΑΔΑ !

Come on GREECE! (y)

Hopman Cup > ATP Cup

Watchfully,
masterclass
^^

I know I should learn not to judge other tastes but when looking at those picks I bloody miss Ana...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Victoria state will not interfere in who can enter individually or not, they gave Tennis Australia a total package of [xxx] people entering on January 15th and 16th and quarantined..... In this package there are obviously free spots as top players can buy spots for extra staff members and there is no option for Victoria State to interfere and favour individually Thiem physio over Djokovic PR or Mirka Federer.... If Tennis Australia decides to keep ONE spot for a greek player I guess they can, as well as they can do a minimal change into the number of players entering the country by giving more or less AO WC to locals.
That's absolutely not how it works. But okay.

·
Premium Member
9,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That's absolutely not how it works. But okay.
I should not answer that to you because of my Serbian ascents and deep friendship between our countries, but Victoria State has no FSB (ФСБ) and is probably far most permissive.

That written, no crystal ball here and we will see what happens next month.

·
54,294 Posts

\

Ελα ΕΛΛΑΔΑ !

Come on GREECE! (y)

Hopman Cup > ATP Cup

Watchfully,
masterclass
She couldn't beat Serena at USO despite good chances. Not really gonna bode too well.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Ifs, coulds, shoulds & maybes r not gonna 🪰 on this forum. Try improving game on HC, then winning the Cup + AO like Novak for Serbia.

·
|
15,331 Posts
Ifs, coulds, shoulds & maybes r not gonna 🪰 on this forum. Try improving game on HC, then winning the Cup + AO like Novak for Serbia.
Or even more importantly try improving your game on HC, then winning the Davis Cup + US Open like Nadal did for Spain in 2019.

·
King Of Tennis
3,241 Posts
Serbia won the ATP Cup the prestigious inaugural year there were 24 countries in the draw. If another country wins the 2021 edition it's not going to be as epic. I still have amazing memories of King beating Nadal in straight sets, winning sets 18 and 19 in a row against him on hardcourt - then winning the decisive doubles inn straight sets too, serving out the match while Nadal sat on the bench like a coward, too scared to get another beatdown from King on the same night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts