Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sousa is just playing really, really well on grass. His serve really works on this surface and faced only one break point during the entire match.

Pospisil or Becker next. 1st portuguese ever to reach SF's in a grass tournament.

·
Registered
7,156 Posts
Re: s'Hertogenbosch QF: João Grassousa destroys Thiemo De Bakker 6-4 6-2

Wasnt he injured yesterday? Ferrer WO opened really good. If he could only play better in clay next year.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Wasnt he injured yesterday? Ferrer WO opened really good. If he could only play better in clay next week.
Yeah, he said that he was with some tension on his leg but nothing to be too worried about.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Wasnt he injured yesterday? Ferrer WO opened really good. If he could only play better in clay next week.
Uat?

Anyway, amazing perfomance from João. De Bakker played some very good points too, specially dropshots, but was very erratic too. Sousa played briliantly and was barely giving any free points to the dutch.

Sousa should fancy his chances to reach the final, here.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Re: s'Hertogenbosch QF: João Sousa destroys Thiemo De Bakker 6-4 6-2

Easy win for Joao, as expected. De Bakker has no game but an slightly above average first serve to play on grass.

Becker or Pospisil are also more than winnable in the SF.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Sorry, but Sousa beating De Bakker hardly equates to playing really, really well. De Bakker might have a game that's more suited to grass but there's a reason he's ranked around 150.

If Sousa can put together a couple of wins against players in the top 50 or so then it's worth noting, but so far he's not passed any serious test on grass.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

Great job João :yeah:

Thiemo wasted a big chance here though :speakles:

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

omg atp semifinals on grass, so deserved, not lucky at all!!!!

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry, but Sousa beating De Bakker hardly equates to playing really, really well. De Bakker might have a game that's more suited to grass but there's a reason he's ranked around 150.

If Sousa can put together a couple of wins against players in the top 50 or so then it's worth noting, but so far he's not passed any serious test on grass.
Mate, I'm talking about what I saw on the court during the match. Rankings aren't everything sometimes. Of course defeat De Bakker isn't that impressive, but his performance was really solid. Didn't saw João playing like this since the end of season in 2013, probably.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

Sousa taking full advantage of his draw. And he's actually playing well, confidence should be high after winning 5 straight matches.
Good, someone who seemed to watched the match is making a comment.

As for some of the people here, you obvously are commenting on something you don't know, because you didn't watch.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Mate, I'm talking about what I saw on the court during the match. Rankings aren't everything sometimes. Of course defeat De Bakker isn't that impressive, but his performance was really solid. Didn't saw João playing like this since the end of season in 2013, probably.
Do you not realise that playing a poor opponent makes an average player look good? It's much easier to hit some clean winners when your opponent is dropping the ball that little bit short or hitting with a little less pace.

You have to put things into context, Sousa's a top fifty ranked opponent who should look good against the likes of De Bakker. There's nothing remarkable about the result or the performance. Wait until he faces someone who can test him or if he can makes it R16 at Wimbledon before getting so carried away.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts

Good, someone who seemed to watched the match is making a comment.

As for some of the people here, you obvously are commenting on something you don't know, because you didn't watch.
I watched the end of the first set and the end of the second set.

Sousa is indeed moving well on grass and dictating play with his forehand, sadly he rarely goes to the net.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts

I watched the end of the first set and the end of the second set.

Sousa is indeed moving well on grass and dictating play with his forehand, sadly he rarely goes to the net.
He's been improving in that department, but I agree he should do it more often. He has really good reflexes and good volleys in general.

·
Registered
21,401 Posts
Back to back victories over a LL, Q and WC, what a beast :worship:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts