Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Shenzen R1 Murray def. Zhang 6-3 ,6-7(3-7)4-2 ret.

not at all convincing and bizarre ending. to be honest andy doesn't look to be making progress at all. zhang served for that 2nd set, ended up taking the tiebreaker. luckily for andy he'll have goffin next, who's helpless against him at the best of times but the idiot chose to party it up after winning the laver cup with team europe and took a late tuesday flight from chicago so will only arrive early wednesday. the affects of jet lag will make david even easier pickings than usual for andy but i don't see him getting further than that unless he drastically raises his level out of nowhere

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Murray obviously rusty and not at his fittest. Expected, given that he's decided to only play here and in Beijing. but Zhang was playing at 110%.

·
Registered
14,074 Posts
Dominant stuff.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Shenzen R1 Murray def. Zhang 6-3 ,6-7(3-7)4-2 ret.

not at all convincing and bizarre ending. to be honest andy doesn't look to be making progress at all. zhang served for that 2nd set, ended up taking the tiebreaker. luckily for andy he'll have goffin next, who's helpless against him at the best of times but the idiot chose to party it up after winning the laver cup with team europe and took a late tuesday flight from chicago so will only arrive early wednesday. the affects of jet lag will make david even easier pickings than usual for andy but i don't see him getting further than that unless he drastically raises his level out of nowhere
Damn, we were just talking about it on an earlier thread, traveling from USA to Eastern Asia is terrible, jetlag is very difficult to deal with in less than a week. Curious to see how David Goffin will look on the court 0:) But to be honest, on level alone David Goffin should be the favorite.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
This is very worrying. How can he still struggle against nobodies, months after making his comeback?
Clearly lacking in sharpness and fitness. He already announced he will only play shenzhen and beijing and take the rest of the year off. Zhang was playing at 110% though so the result seems worse than it was really. But yeh, clearly Murray is way off where he wants to be.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts

Damn, we were just talking about it on an earlier thread, traveling from USA to Eastern Asia is terrible, jetlag is very difficult to deal with in less than a week. Curious to see how David Goffin will look on the court 0:) But to be honest, on level alone David Goffin should be the favorite.
no. david looked awful in the laver cup. he had no serve and his forehand leaked errors. like i said, even at the best of times david was hopeless against andy. he has no weapons to hurt him with. but a goffin who is lacking energy due to jetlag, tired, has no serve and no forehand won't beat andy even in this state.

i'll tell you how he'll look: listless and hungover

my friends are high level swiss curlers who recently did something very similar . competing in the world cup of curling in china they competed in an event in ontario the week before. had they made the final they wouldn't have even been able to get there on time . as it is they lost before the playoffs. however they still only got there a day before it started. they were dead tried . it took them 3 days to fully recover from the jet lag , which, by the time they did it was useless. they'd lost so many times they were eliminated. those first 2 days were painful. they could barely make shots

i can't think why david would take such a late flight. its hard to imagine that between sunday and tuesday there was just 1 flight to china from chicago

he is defending champion here but he hasn't shown any priority to it

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This is very worrying. How can he still struggle against nobodies, months after making his comeback?
lets not forget this is only his 9th/10th match since his come back... and his 5th tournament this year...

He didn't really strugle... he relaxed in second set and when he tried to up his level again he couldn't find the target... it means he lack of match practice and auto-mode tennis.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

no. david looked awful in the laver cup. he had no serve and his forehand leaked errors. like i said, even at the best of times david was hopeless against andy. he has no weapons to hurt him with. but a goffin who is lacking energy due to jetlag, tired, has no serve and no forehand won't beat andy even in this state.

i'll tell you how he'll look: listless and hungover

my friends are high level swiss curlers who recently did something very similar . competing in the world cup of curling in china they competed in an event in ontario the week before. had they made the final they wouldn't have even been able to get there on time . as it is they lost before the playoffs. however they still only got there a day before it started. they were dead tried . it took them 3 days to fully recover from the jet lag , which, by the time they did it was useless. they'd lost so many times they were eliminated. those first 2 days were painful. they could barely make shots

i can't think why david would take such a late flight. its hard to imagine that between sunday and tuesday there was just 1 flight to china from chicago

he is defending champion here but he hasn't shown any priority to it
Well you are totally right regarding the jetlag, last time when I commenting on it (just two days ago) I was actually speaking from experience, only traveled once from North America to Asia and it was god damn awful. Waking up at 2 am, then at 5 am and then feeling sleepy at 1pm, like this for 4 or 5 days :D and the flight itself was obviously very long to start with. About Laver Cup, I 'll believe you then since I did not watch the event, but Andy Murray did look very average today. As I said, just curious to watch David Goffin and how he'll look with that jetlag.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I didn't see the match, but Zhizhen Zhang did reach the QFs last year here, but not a convincing result from Andy.
At least he's now at 289 in Slashers OER live rankings.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Murray should retire.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts