Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
justice for all
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good that Denis recovered from that devastating Klizan loss with a win but he needed 3 sets again to dispatch Ivashka.

Nishioka in R2 will be tricky me thinks.

·
justice for all
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tricky how and why? Always curious to know. Where did you watch the match?
I didn't. I just commented on the scoreline.

Well, Nishioka scored some good wins and runs on HC in the past. Denis should prevail though (hopefully).

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Big fat implosion in the second set, after narrowly clinching the first. Shapovalov made this way more difficult for himself than necessary. As per usual.

Nishioka is pretty comparable to Ivashka in the grinding department minus the serve. On paper should be easier. But, of course, it's never easy for The Menace, if he can help it. :p

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How did people watch this match? I'd like to see them if I can. And, yes, he tends to make things a bit too hard on himself sometimes. It's like he goes "walkabout" and loses focus, then regains his focus and is right back on track. It's an issue of concentration. Same thing in the Davis Cup match. The first two sets were pretty awful, and then all of a sudden he plays 3 brilliant sets. Ah well, hopefully, this will be ironed out one day. Now, can anyone give me 1 good reason why his serve was tweaked?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The serve has been so much better in Denis's last 4 matches. All three setters. No more than three double faults in any of the matches. And he got 8 aces in today's match.

In retrospect, I think he lucked out having his coach out the past few months and having his mom fill in. No way his coach would have risked his job by changing Denis's serve in the middle of the season and risk a string of losses. His mom could do so because she is his mom and because it's way harder to fire your mom if you start losing ? By the end of this season, he will have had half a season of live action with the new serve and can use the off season to iron out any wrinkles found over the last several months.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The serve has been so much better in Denis's last 4 matches. All three setters. No more than three double faults in any of the matches. And he got 8 aces in today's match.
Where did you see the match? I subscribe to Tennis TV and they start streaming Shenzhen tomorrow. Edit: On Friday it seems...

In retrospect, I think he lucked out having his coach out the past few months and having his mom fill in. No way his coach would have risked his job by changing Denis's serve in the middle of the season and risk a string of losses. His mom could do so because she is his mom and because it's way harder to fire your mom if you start losing ? By the end of this season, he will have had half a season of live action with the new serve and can use the off season to iron out any wrinkles found over the last several months.
In his last four matches his serve has been up and down I would say. When his first serve works he usually dominates. My guess is that his first serve % was low in the second set today.
We have no idea why he slightly changed his serve or who made the decision. As someone pointed out, the only reason you would do that mid-season is if he felt the serve motion was causing him pain (or if it was failing big time which it wasn't). In any case it hasn't really been a change for the worse so no real harm done. He needs a proper coach though.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
SD ?????????? ??????? ? HDTENNIS.RU has Shenzhen broadcasts. The website is Russian, but you can translate to English using Chrome. The quality is low, too, but it's better than nothing.

In his last four matches his serve has been up and down I would say. When his first serve works he usually dominates. My guess is that his first serve % was low in the second set today.
We have no idea why he slightly changed his serve or who made the decision. As someone pointed out, the only reason you would do that mid-season is if he felt the serve motion was causing him pain (or if it was failing big time which it wasn't). In any case it hasn't really been a change for the worse so no real harm done. He needs a proper coach though.
Yeah, his first serve % dips into 40's for at least one if not more sets. Which is harmful, since that's exactly what makes his matches more difficult than they should be. However, since we don't really know the reason for the change nor if it's going to benefit him in the long run, all we can do is wait and see.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
SD ?????????? ??????? ? HDTENNIS.RU has Shenzhen broadcasts. The website is Russian, but you can translate to English using Chrome. The quality is low, too, but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, his first serve % dips into 40's for at least one if not more sets. Which is harmful, since that's exactly what makes his matches more difficult than they should be. However, since we don't really know the reason for the change nor if it's going to benefit him in the long run, all we can do is wait and see.
It looks like a betting site. How can it be changed to English?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
It looks like a betting site. How can it be changed to English?
It's not a betting site, not directly anyway - it only grabs steams from betting sites and contains some links to them. It's safe as these websites only can be. I've been using it for a long time.
In Chrome browser just right-click anywhere on the page and choose "Translate to English" from the context menu.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's not a betting site, not directly anyway - it only grabs steams from betting sites and contains some links to them. It's safe as these websites only can be. I've been using it for a long time.
In Chrome browser just right-click anywhere on the page and choose "Translate to English" from the context menu.
Thanks, that was helpful.

I don't understand why TennisTV can't just show all the rounds; obviously the infrastructure is there because other sites are streaming. Is it a $$ thing?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts