Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
denis , once again served for the match but then lost 4 games in a row. i was just surprised so many people thought he'd win this event. he is nowhere near ready to win nor is he playing well enough and it keeps showing

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Re: Shenzen R2 Nishioka def. Shapovalov 7-6(7-5), 3-6, 7-5

He had one matchpoint on his racket, could have let it bounce but decided to take it from the air and net it.

·
Registered
57,587 Posts

Massive choke by Shapovalov here, unreal miss on MP. But the bigger issue is probably the serve. With his old serve he never would have been in a match close enough to choke. Has gone from having one of the best serves for his height to having one of the worst serves period over the last 6 months. The new serve just isn't working, and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Needs to revert to old serve ASAP, and if the old serve was causing injury as some have speculated he needs to try something else.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

He had 2 matchpoints on his serve too. Proceeds to then get broken at 3-5* then loses the next 4 games. Feels like 75% of his losses these days are chokes. Sadly, he's turned into one of the biggest chokers on tour now and that's saying something.

This is a REALLY bad loss too because Nishioka is ranked 171. How is he struggling with these type of players?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

What an incomprehensible mess.
Should've been 6:3 6:2

Each had 15 BP's. :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Massive choke by Shapovalov here, unreal miss on MP. But the bigger issue is probably the serve. With his old serve he never would have been in a match close enough to choke. Has gone from having one of the best serves for his height to having one of the worst serves period over the last 6 months. The new serve just isn't working, and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Needs to revert to old serve ASAP, and if the old serve was causing injury as some have speculated he needs to try something else.
yeah, that miss was truly hilarious

·
Registered
8,626 Posts

This is a REALLY bad loss too because Nishioka is ranked 171. How is he struggling with these type of players?
He wasn't struggling with his opponent. He's struggling with himself rn.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He had 2 matchpoints on his serve too. Proceeds to then get broken at 3-5* then loses the next 4 games. Feels like 75% of his losses these days are chokes. Sadly, he's turned into one of the biggest chokers on tour now and that's saying something.

denis just does not have a style that will deal with players like nishioka with good defensive skills well. he's to impatient and guys that can get a lot of balls back frustrate him. they likely always will

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

Yup. Really, really bad loss here for Shapovalov.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Maybe now people will believe me when I say something's wrong. It's not just his serve. There is something much deeper going on with Denis. He displays a lot of anger and frustration on the court. His emotions are all over the place. Now it could be many things: the change in the serve is an obvious one, the pressure, a loss of confidence, being only 19 and struggling with hormonal and other physical changes could also be a factor. But, I've never seen him have match point and lose. Now that happens to many players at one time or another. But, this is not a guy he should've lost to. He's 171 in the world and not even in Denis' league when it comes to talent.

But, I agree that it's in two areas - the serve and the coaching. I don't think his Mom can handle him, and he's really going downhill under her. This needs to be addressed ASAP, or he could really start to lose all his confidence, and that's a difficult thing to fix.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Terrible choke, was looking forward to Coric Shapo clash.

Shapo needs to get his shit together.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

Something is going on and I would be a little concerned if I were a devout Shapo fan. The worst thing a young player can do is stagnate or worse, decline....you always want to see growth even if it's slow. I dare say Shapo was a better player a year ago than now even though he has a higher ranking.

This is a dissapointing day for yongsters...hopefully, Felix can close it out on Chung.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Yes, that's exactly right. Could not be said any better. The question is, what is he struggling with? It's as if the player we saw two weeks ago in Davis Cup doesn't even exist any longer. Two tournaments in a row he's served for the match, only to go down. Something is deeply bothering him. And, only he knows what that is. On another forum, people are saying that it's his anger management and I'm beginning to think there's something to that. He's very angry and impatient out there. He's lost his groove entirely. I truly hope he and his team sit down and have a long heart to heart with him, because he needs some help!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

Something is going on and I would be a little concerned if I were a devout Shapo fan. The worst thing a young player can do is stagnate or worse, decline....you always want to see growth even if it's slow. I dare say Shapo was a better player a year ago than now even though he has a higher ranking.

This is a dissapointing day for yongsters...hopefully, Felix can close it out on Chung.
He's 19 for Gods sake.

Yes, it's a bad loss and he's having a rough patch, but these hot takes are ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts

He's 19 for Gods sake.

Yes, it's a bad loss and he's having a rough patch, but these hot takes are ridiculous.
19 and showing tendencies of perpetual choking. We're not talking about one choke here or there....it's a very common occurence now with Shapo in the last 4 months.

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts

I mean seriously why hasn't this guy retired yet? He's missed all the opportunities he'll ever have, no way now he could ever improve. Losing a match in an ATP250 in China in late September is a career killer - perhaps he could go into teaching tennis as a club pro? Actually you know what, I saw that match point, I'm sure he's not even good enough for that.

I'll be waiting on twitter the rest of the day for the retirement announcement.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

The thing about Shapovalov's double faults is that many of them are not even close. They really killed him in this one.

This is a REALLY bad loss too because Nishioka is ranked 171.
Almost entirely because he had to take a long time off due to severe knee injury. He seems not quite physically 100% yet, but as most ATP fans should know, he's not a 171st-ranked player quality-wise.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts