Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maria Sharapova is keen to clinch her second Wimbledon title, as she looks to cement her place as the world’s leading player. The 25-year-old is currently a joint-10/3 bet with Serena Williams to win at SW19, according to the Betfair Wimbledon website.

The Russian moved to the top of the rankings by claiming her first French Open title, earlier this month, a result that completed her collection of the Grand Slams.

Sharapova won the Australian Open in 2008 and the US Open six years ago, after winning her first Grand Slam at Wimbledon, in 2004.

When still only 17, Sharapova beat Serena Williams 6-1 6-4 at SW19 and followed that up with a 6-4 6-4 victory over Justine Henin in the final of the 2006 US Open.

After losing the 2007 Australian Open final to Serena Williams, Sharapova bounced back, 12 months later, by beating Ana Ivanovic 7-5 6-3 in the Melbourne showpiece.

She was the runner-up at Wimbledon, last year, after being beaten by Petra Kvitova. She lost to Victoria Azarenka in the Australian Open final, earlier this year.

Sharapova became only the tenth woman to claim a clean sweep of the major tournaments, by beating Italy’s Sara Errani 6-3 6-2 in the final at Roland Garros.

She appears to be in the best form of her career, after initially struggling with shoulder surgery, four years ago.

Sharapova said: “It’s been a long journey. It started from a very young age. It is not over yet, far from it.

“I have a lot more in me to achieve and I believe in my game. I think one of the reasons why I won at Roland Garros is because I always believed I could be better.”

Other women to have won all four Grand Slam titles include Serena Williams, Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, and Chris Evert.

The tennis betting pages indicate that Sharapova’s major rivals at Wimbledon, this year, could be Petra Kvitova (4/1), Victoria Azarenka (8/1), and Justine Henin (9/1), in addition to Williams.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts