Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maria Sharapova struggled to hide her elation after completing a grand slam of major tournament victories with a straight-sets win against Sara Errani in the French Open final.

The Russian became the 10th woman in the history of the game to achieve the live tennis feat of winning all four grand slams, producing some stunning tennis at Roland Garros to clinch her maiden French title.

The victory against Errani was Sharapova’s first grand slam final win since her Australian Open success in 2008, which was followed by a shoulder problem that at one time threatened to cut short the her career.

Now back fully fit, Sharapova has been slowly working her way back to the top again, with victory in Paris showing just reward for the hard work put in to recover from the injury.

Sharapova says that this French Open victory ranks higher than any other career achievement, even eclipsing her triumph at Wimbledon as a 17-year old back in 2004.

"It's the most unique moment I've experienced in my career. I never thought I would have that," commented Sharapova.

"I thought that when I won Wimbledon at 17, that would be the most treasured moment of my career.”

"But when I fell down on my knees I realised that this was extremely special, and even more so."

Sharapova will now head to Wimbledon as the world’s number one and with the belief that she can win a second title at the All England Club.

On the evidence of her form during the French Open, Sharapova will be excited about what the rest of 2012 is going to bring, while punters will eagerly anticipate the tennis betting offers she will feature in.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts