Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Seems last week's run in Brest by him was quite significant, going up 2 places to be in the 9th spot. With Shapovalov withdrawing, it seems his hard work there paid off and he's now a direct qualifier! Last young Polish player was Janowicz who is currently struggling to recover so maybe he can give Polish tennis some hope again. For Shapo I hope he recovers well and reasses what needs to readjust after an iffy 2nd half of the season.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
I could tell Denis was exhausted at the end of the year :sad: But I'm happy Hubert Hurkacz has now made it in :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think Tsitsipas should withdraw too. Clearly he is exhausted. These young players aren't used to the grueling schedule of the senior players. Maybe the NextGen finals should take place at a different time in the calendar when the players aren't so beaten down already. I feel bad for them.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Sad for Denis :sad:

I think Tsitsipas should withdraw too. Clearly he is exhausted. These young players aren't used to the grueling schedule of the senior players. Maybe the NextGen finals should take place at a different time in the calendar when the players aren't so beaten down already. I feel bad for them.
Indeed, what a dilemma. The Paris Masters could be an opportunity for younger/less accomplished players to pick up a M1000 (like Sock did last year) because top players are saving themselves for World Tour Finals and either withdrawing or playing half-assed. But the NextGen have played all year, too, and are tired. They have to decide between giving all at Paris (and maybe snagging a prestigious Masters title), or saving themselves for NextGen finals.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Best news of the year in every aspect :woohoo: (about Hurkacz, not about Shapo withdrawing :) )

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Happy for Hubert :smile2: Sad for Denis :frown2:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Tstsipas's schedule really isn't normal for a player that has started going deep in tournaments regularly. He seems to want to play a tournament every single week.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Probably for the best as I think Shapo's suffering from more than just physical exhaustion. Will do him good to take a break, take stock of his game and ideally return next year refreshed, re-energized and refocused.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Shapo's tinkering with his serve late this summer has not worked out for him. Double faults and low first-serve percentage are frustrating him. He will probably spend rest of year working on that aspect of his game. I think he needs a shorter swing option along with better shot selection to build a point.

His big game is a marvelous thing to watch when he is on. I saw him beat Nadal in Montreal and it was electrifying to witness his comeback in the tiebreak.

But when he is off, he beats himself against players he should be able to defeat.

Still young, still stuff to learn. I would like to see this generation of players who are coached by their parents move on to other coaches. Great job by parents to get them to the ATP level. Getting to the ATP and being a top player are different things. New and suitable coaches are required to evolve their game.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Happy for Hubert :smile2: Sad for Denis :frown2:
Glad to see you finally moved on and found yourself a new goddess to worship! Pepi will always be in our hearts. :hug:

On topic: good call. He has nothing to look for on the competitive court right now. He needs to sort out his coaching situation and his game.
If he thought his previous serve, which was terrifyingly effective and clutch, was a liability, it must have given him some physical discomfort. In which case he really didn't have a choice but to tinker it. Otherwise, that was a really unfortunate and wrongful decision, as many of us have pointed out from the get go.
Have a pleasant and fruitful off-season, Denis!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hurkacz is still playing a Challenger this week so I wonder if he's going to take the spot at all -- Mmoh I think is next in line.
Mmoh is playing a Challenger this week, too (in the USA, not in Europe like Hurkacz). And he's playing for a spot in the AO MD, unlike Hurkacz who has secured his.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Hurkacz is still playing a Challenger this week so I wonder if he's going to take the spot at all -- Mmoh I think is next in line.
Of course he will play. The prize money is worth it: 52K just for participating, even if you lose all matches.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
happy for hubert but woiuldnt be surprised if he withdraws too if he goes deep this week.

a little surprised denis played so much and now has to skip here. i thought he'd pull out of something else and give it his all here

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's a good decision on his part. He's clearly exhausted mentally and physically. He played a lot of tennis, and perhaps too much. Hopefully, he'll sit down and manage his schedule better for next year. My understanding from the last interview I saw was that his mom was only filling in temporarily. Robert Steckley was "auditioning" for the role of new coach. So, maybe that's why his mom was still hanging around. But, I think it's time for her to move on and him too. Marty was a good coach for him, and I'm hopeful he'll return, but that seems to be undecided for now. Don't know if Steckley would be good for him or not. But, it will be better if next year he travels with just the coach and physio as he began to do at the start of this year.

I don't know enough about his serve technically to say one way or the other. I read somewhere (here?) that Denis was pleased with the new serve, and it was changed because the old serve was causing some back pain? I wish he would clarify why he did this, not that it's my business of course, LOL.

Hope he has a restful, positive and productive off-season.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hubert already announced on his facebook that he is going to Milan.

The prize money is a huge incentive, remember that Polish male players don't have TA backup, don't have rich sponsors etc, basically everything is run by their families and friends.

50K just for participation is enough f.e. for flights in all 2019 and it will be ca. 10% of his all career prize money, for sure he will go. .

·
Registered
456 Posts
Glad to see you finally moved on and found yourself a new goddess to worship! Pepi will always be in our hearts. :hug:

On topic: good call. He has nothing to look for on the competitive court right now. He needs to sort out his coaching situation and his game.
If he thought his previous serve, which was terrifyingly effective and clutch, was a liability, it must have given him some physical discomfort. In which case he really didn't have a choice but to tinker it. Otherwise, that was a really unfortunate and wrongful decision, as many of us have pointed out from the get go.
Have a pleasant and fruitful off-season, Denis!
Yes, good call. The coaching issue needs to resolved first and foremost. The current situation with his mum, the (seemingly uncomfortable) temp Steckler and the invisible and mute Laurendeau is obviously not resolved. Power struggles (if that should be the case) within the camp is the very last thing he needs.
Hoping for the best!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts