Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw some of Johannson's footage. Of course Shapo is shorter. But, I mean, they are similar in that they both have a tendency of extreme aggressiveness and of hitting the hell out of the balls, although Shapo has become more controlled recently.

·
Registered
698 Posts
In fact, a hypothetical 6ft5 Shapovalov would have been exactly a left-handed Pim Pim.
If you say so. I guess I fail to see the likeness apart from a basically aggressive game. Pim Pim was a good player and had a promising career cut short by injuries.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Joachim Johansson was a player I liked to watch. 6'6'' and played like a big guy should. As you say, he hit the hell out of the ball, but he had more easy power than someone like the Canadian who seems to kill himself hitting the ball. Old Andre Agassi wasn't a tall player, but he had easy power. Those are my favourite players to watch.

Needless to say that his career was tragic. He absolutely could have gone on to challenge for slam titles and there's no reason why he couldn't have won one or more. I rated him that highly. He only played 9 slam events in his career. He still managed to get into the top 10 and win a few titles.

If he had a few years to develop, he would've been some player.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Shapovalov is a shorter and far less talented version of Pim Pim. If he stayed healthy the big 3 would have been in trouble. So sad, the last two good Swedish players having their careers spoiled by injury.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
I mean... except for both of them being aggressive, I don't think they're very much alike.

I remember watching Stockholm open 2013 live... Pim-Pim was participating despite hardly playing a pro match in years due to persistent injuries.
But the guy showed up and just blasted through qualifying... I saw him beat Falla 6-1 6-3 in the main draw and it basically looked like an adult crushing a child. Such a huge difference in firepower and potential.

His career is another sad chapter in the Swedish tennis legacy following the glory of the 80s/90s.

Reactions: Denis denis

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean... except for both of them being aggressive, I don't think they're very much alike.

I remember watching Stockholm open 2013 live... Pim-Pim was participating despite hardly playing a pro match in years due to persistent injuries.
But the guy showed up and just blasted through qualifying... I saw him beat Falla 6-1 6-3 in the main draw and it basically looked like an adult crushing a child. Such a huge difference in firepower and potential.

His career is another sad chapter in the Swedish tennis legacy following the glory of the 80s/90s.
People said that he beat the crap out of Blake in USO 2004.

I watched the Johannson-Agassi match. In addition to 51 aces, he hit down the line 1HBHs like crazy and also very good FH dropshots. Agassi was more clutch so he won, but he could have actually lost - he came close to lose the 2nd set.

Just a little later he also beat Ljubicic in Marsailles 2005 final playing an excellent all-court tennis.

I do feel that his serve motion was somewhat stiff and unnatural, unlike say, Krajicek - which might have contributed to his shoulder injury.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
If you want resemblace and similarity with the past , go no further , just LOOK in the stands : The Colonel Youzhny . Shapo did good to land him .

You've got practically every faset covered : technique , attittude , intensity , style ...Edit: Of course I'm talking peak , physical prime Misha perhaps even the mental side at times

1 - 9 of 9 Posts