Mens Tennis Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Verdasco was a better player than Shapovalov and played against stronger opposition.
You are such a non appreciator of Canadian tennis. We never had players this good for almost a century. Whatever their flaws.
And Shap is just 22 and already at his best better than Verdasco.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
OP generator of garbage threads, one after another.

Shap is massively disappointing these days. Yep0
But way too soon he is another "verdasco" --he's 22 for crissakes and anyway he's not like Verdasco.
Did Verdasco beat Nadal when he was 17? I don't think so.

They're nothing alike.
As I wrote above, verdasco choked, On cue.
Shap doesn't really choke, he's just totally on or totally off and nothing in between.

You want to compare him to a "failed talent" --but at 22 you can't make these claims, then maybe
Dolgopolov.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
I’ve said it before that I always felt Shap had the best tools of the next gen he just needed too put it together. Now 2 years later he is still in the same position when between 20 and 22 you should be adding consistency too your game.

Yet he is still a player that can beat anyone but lose too anyone. He lacks tactics and a tennis brain for me. He never plays smart or has a tennis IQ
You're getting closer to the truth than most here.
But the issue is not tennis IQ or brains.
It has to do with how he wants to play.
He wants to play elite, beautiful shots, yet he can't execute them consistently.
He has no "B" game.
All on or all off.
When all on everyone loves him, when off, say he has not tennis IQ.

He needs a B game, but his lack of one has more to do with his stubborness to try to perfect his A game. And if he does, the same idiots who are slamming him here will be his biggest fans.

·
Premium Member
11,743 Posts
[...]

They're nothing alike.
As I wrote above, verdasco choked, On cue.
Shap doesn't really choke, he's just totally on or totally off and nothing in between.

You want to compare him to a "failed talent" --but at 22 you can't make these claims, then maybe
Dolgopolov.
Incorrect. Have seen Shap succumb to his nerves numerous times.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Shapovalov is way overhyped here. He is just a ballbasher without discipline or ROS.

He is like Verdasco and Janowicz or a worse lefty version of Wawrinka, only flash but no substance and no brain. Talent is nothing without consistency. Everybody top 50 is able to peak like Klizan, Brands or PHM (like they did against Nadal in the FO for exemple) by painting the lines or hitting FH like Peak Federer for one match. To do it for every match is another story. Tennis never award the low % game.

People even compared him to Federer because of his " offensive " tennis mindset (like we compared Dimitrov to Federer, calling him " Baby Federer " )

The only title he won in his career so far is a ATP 250 at Stockholm beating HC titan Krajinovic. He has done nothing except his lucky Wimbledon SF where he beat a washed-up Murray, declined RBA and king mug Kachanov.

Shapovalov wouldn't even be able to play like AO 2009 Verdasco who pushed to the limit Nadal who was at his zenith then. Prime Verdasco would have at least took a set from Djokovic in the Wimbledon SF
Shap pushed nadal to his limit on clay in Rome--had 2 MPS-- which is even more impressive than doing so on HC.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You're getting closer to the truth than most here.
But the issue is not tennis IQ or brains.
It has to do with how he wants to play.
He wants to play elite, beautiful shots, yet he can't execute them consistently.
He has no "B" game.
All on or all off.
When all on everyone loves him, when off, say he has not tennis IQ.

He needs a B game, but his lack of one has more to do with his stubborness to try to perfect his A game. And if he does, the same idiots who are slamming him here will be his biggest fans.
"The issue isn't Tennis IQ or brains, but he has no B game."

Someone with a good Tennis IQ would want to develop a B, C and D game as part of their repertoire because they would understand the limitations of their A game when there are extenuating circumstances like wind for example, or because they understand they can't always play lights out tennis. The ability to then do this during matches and implement an alternative strategy to win is part of a good Tennis IQ.

As much as I like watching him play, I've not yet seen this from Shapo.

·
Premium Member
29,713 Posts
Wow. As someone who really dislikes Fiasco and likes Shapo, this thread title hit right where it hurts.

I'm still holding out hope that Denis will find some consistency one day. But it's true, we don't know if it will ever happen.

·
Registered
Nadal
1,916 Posts
You kidding? Shap is more talented but Berd was the biggest choker imaginable.
Shap doesn't "choke" he's just hot or cold.
I just was just saying Verdasco stronger mindset of the two players not saying Verdasco mentally strong at all of course I remember he's choking. However Sharapova choking just as much in his matches do just purely Opinion based on who's got stronger mindset for Me Verdasco got more fire in him.

·
justice for all
19,575 Posts
As a big Shapo fan I admit his progress and development during the last c.a. 2 years is... disappointing.

Most Next Gen players made a step or two in that period and have improved their games and position on tour.

But hey, hope dies last and there's been many players who transformed their level into another dimension late in their careers just to mention Stan who was a similar case until c.a. 28.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Still very young. Let us give some time and see.. Unfair to compare yet. Verdasco had some epic matches.. who knows how Shapo will evolve..

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Even though he’s still young, he’s been around quite a long time. At what age did he beat Nadal? I believe he was 18. It’s been 4 years.
Of course he’s still young and we have to wait and see, but we certainly expected him to be better than he’s now because he should’ve done better.

He has a flashy game, and is a joy to watch when he’s on, but lacks mentality and tactics. I hope he could develop the strategy on how to win ugly even when he is playing bad.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
You are such a non appreciator of Canadian tennis. We never had players this good for almost a century. Whatever their flaws.
I like Leylah Fernandez. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and knows what to do in a match-by-match basis unlike FAA and Shapovalov. I was impressed with her US Open run in a way I was never impressed by the Canadian men.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
So feelings.. that are just supposed to blindly believed because you are saying them with arrogance?

Couldn’t you make the argument just as easily that it was a weak era because one player dominated and the rest were not too good. Again feelings.. as you might arrogantly say, be sure to check your biases at the door when you are posting.
Visual analysis is 'feelings' when it suits you, sure. Like I said, it's blatantly obvious if you have a half-decent grasp of the workings of tennis. Observe the game, not the name. Of course, commentators are paid to 'promote the game' by habitually hyping whatever the current generation/year/match is. It's darkly hilarious to consider Medvedev is cementing himself as the best 90s-born player but doesn't even make top 10 among the 80s-born bunch by talent/ceiling.

·
31,241 Posts
It's darkly hilarious to consider Medvedev is cementing himself as the best 90s-born player but doesn't even make top 10 among the 80s-born bunch by talent/ceiling.
Care to post your top 10 (it doesn't have to be in order). Do you think that some of that has to do with the fact that players born in the 80's are retired or nearing retirement. For example, Wawrinka looked like a talented headcase at age 25 (or so) but at age 35 he is considered a talented player. I wonder if maybe you have a biased towards liking or thinking one style of tennis is more talented than another style.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I like Leylah Fernandez. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and knows what to do in a match-by-match basis unlike FAA and Shapovalov. I was impressed with her US Open run in a way I was never impressed by the Canadian men.
Leylah has already shown more composure and determination at the USO than FAA and Shapovalov in their whole careers.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts