Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Unfortunately Verdasco had way more fight in him and peak groundstrokes in his prime, but generally I agree.
If Shapovalov only had at least Raonic's peak mentality with which he defeated Wawrinka almost in straights (credit to the Swiss to come back in sets 3-4) and only injury prevented him to oust Murray in 2016 AO, he could be a force on the Tour.
It feels that even the coach change came a bit late... he should have sorted his serving and inconsistency issues by now. Even then he would be a headcase.
Saying this as his fan, but inconsistency coupled with huge mental walkabouts does not bear any kind of recipy for big success.

Can you explain how the opposition was stronger then? i don't know if I agree or disagree, I just was wondering why you are saying that.
This is the well known Federer fans' narrative: 2004-09 era was stronger than perceived now.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
This is the well known Federer fans' narrative: 2004-09 era was stronger than perceived now.
Any era with at least one prime ATG was stronger than now; takes but a bit of honesty and understanding to discern. Unfortunately, many lack either or both.

I'm watching Medvedev-Krajinovic right now and the tennis is by and large toothless with sharp shots coming but occasionally. Some champion caliber tennis.

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Any era with at least one prime ATG was stronger than now; takes but a bit of honesty and understanding to discern. Unfortunately, many lack either or both.

I'm watching Medvedev-Krajinovic right now and the tennis is by and large toothless with sharp shots coming but occasionally. Some champion caliber tennis.
Medvedev might be that ATG who will be soon hitting his prime.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Medvedev might be that ATG who will be soon hitting his prime.
Would take an indescribably weak era for him to amass the requisite slam titles. No matter if he's my compatirot and a funny character, the plain fact is that his attacking capabilities are massively limited for a top player, which puts a hard cap on his peak level, helplessly below historical ATGs who were all capable of maintaining sharp attacking play on serve and return alike. I'll believe in Medvedev's greatness the day I see him making aggressive forehands more often than once per three games or something.

·
Premium Member
29,776 Posts
Would take an indescribably weak era for him to amass the requisite slam titles. No matter if he's my compatirot and a funny character, the plain fact is that his attacking capabilities are massively limited for a top player, which puts a hard cap on his peak level, helplessly below historical ATGs who were all capable of maintaining sharp attacking play on serve and return alike. I'll believe in Medvedev's greatness the day I see him making aggressive forehands more often than once per three games or something.
I need to agree here. Still it is not entirely defense what even makes Medvedev keep winning, though his attacking is fairly limited, maybe more peaking on return sometimes which makes him a bit similar to Djokovic.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I need to agree here. Still it is not entirely defense what even makes Medvedev keep winning, though his attacking is fairly limited, maybe more peaking on return sometimes which makes him a bit similar to Djokovic.
Medvedev is good at managing return depth, certainly. Don't recall seeing him go on a roll slapping returns like Djokovic has done not infrequently when he felt particularly confident - again a mark of true ATG level, even if he mostly prefers clogging opponents with placement/depth from anywhere on court. Djo's offensive potency sometimes gets demeaned by the narrow-minded like Federer's defensive skills.

·
Registered
Nadal
1,914 Posts
Too early to say which player is better yet let Sharapova play few more seasons first before judging.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Not a bad post by the OP. Shapovalov will win something big because he can be very dangerous when he is on. But he lacks consistency and that's a huge problem. In this part I don't see a huge improvement of him so far. If he can get better there he can be Top 5. If not he will be Top 15.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I hadn't seen much of him until Wimbledon this year, and I thought he was a cert to win a slam soon after he reached the SFs, but he hasn't really kicked on since then.

He has all the shots in the book and can play some outstanding tennis, but some of his tactical decisions mid-match are baffling and smack of someone with all the skills but very little know-how on how to most effectively use them. He could just be another in a long line of players that have the technical and physical ability to win the big prizes, but don't have the Tennis IQ when it's truly required.

He's 22, so I'd give him another 2-3 years to develop that side of his game.

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
He clearly doesn't have the mentality to win big titles, just need to look at the Wimbledon semifinal, missed some of the worst shots in history, should've won at least 2 sets in that match and went home empty handed. He might snatch a big title here and there if stars start to align but will never be a contender for the big titles.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Honestly, I don't know what to say any longer. Three years ago, I said let's wait and see what will transpire in 2-3 years. Sadly, it isn't happening. That doesn't mean it won't, but I have far less confidence in him and his game. Mentally, he is so fragile sometimes, yet other times he's very strong. Many things could be going on but I believe it comes down to the fact that he doesn't strategize on court, he doesn't fix that serve problem, and mentally, he's very vulnerable. Too bad really as he has a beautiful game when it works.

·
31,241 Posts
Any era with at least one prime ATG was stronger than now; takes but a bit of honesty and understanding to discern.
So feelings.. that are just supposed to blindly believed because you are saying them with arrogance?

Couldn’t you make the argument just as easily that it was a weak era because one player dominated and the rest were not too good. Again feelings.. as you might arrogantly say, be sure to check your biases at the door when you are posting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Shapovalov is way overhyped here. He is just a ballbasher without discipline or ROS.

He is like Verdasco and Janowicz or a worse lefty version of Wawrinka, only flash but no substance and no brain. Talent is nothing without consistency. Everybody top 50 is able to peak like Klizan, Brands or PHM (like they did against Nadal in the FO for exemple) by painting the lines or hitting FH like Peak Federer for one match. To do it for every match is another story. Tennis never award the low % game.

People even compared him to Federer because of his " offensive " tennis mindset (like we compared Dimitrov to Federer, calling him " Baby Federer " )

The only title he won in his career so far is a ATP 250 at Stockholm beating HC titan Krajinovic. He has done nothing except his lucky Wimbledon SF where he beat a washed-up Murray, declined RBA and king mug Kachanov.

Shapovalov wouldn't even be able to play like AO 2009 Verdasco who pushed to the limit Nadal who was at his zenith then. Prime Verdasco would have at least took a set from Djokovic in the Wimbledon SF
why does everyone just bash Stan. for crying out loud, he has won 3 GS's. Made deep runs in several more (finals at RG, SF's in some more GS's).

21 - 40 of 68 Posts