Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Djokovic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shapovalov is way overhyped here. He is just a ballbasher without discipline or ROS.

He is like Verdasco and Janowicz or a worse lefty version of Wawrinka, only flash but no substance and no brain. Talent is nothing without consistency. Everybody top 50 is able to peak like Klizan, Brands or PHM (like they did against Nadal in the FO for exemple) by painting the lines or hitting FH like Peak Federer for one match. To do it for every match is another story. Tennis never award the low % game.

People even compared him to Federer because of his " offensive " tennis mindset (like we compared Dimitrov to Federer, calling him " Baby Federer " )

The only title he won in his career so far is a ATP 250 at Stockholm beating HC titan Krajinovic. He has done nothing except his lucky Wimbledon SF where he beat a washed-up Murray, declined RBA and king mug Kachanov.

Shapovalov wouldn't even be able to play like AO 2009 Verdasco who pushed to the limit Nadal who was at his zenith then. Prime Verdasco would have at least took a set from Djokovic in the Wimbledon SF

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Unfortunately yes. Shapovalov can still transform his game like Wawrinka did.

·
Your visions will happen
54,001 Posts
:sleep:

Super weak bait thread if I ever saw one. Verdasco is much superior player.
Career wise, yes so far. We will see if Shapo can improve that

·
Registered
158 Posts
I’ve said it before that I always felt Shap had the best tools of the next gen he just needed too put it together. Now 2 years later he is still in the same position when between 20 and 22 you should be adding consistency too your game.

Yet he is still a player that can beat anyone but lose too anyone. He lacks tactics and a tennis brain for me. He never plays smart or has a tennis IQ

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Verdasco made 4 slam QFs or better in his entire career; Shapovalov already has 2.
Verdasco made 2 masters SFs or better in his entire career; Shapovalov already has 5.

Seems obvious Shapovalov will likely accomplish much more than Verdasco when it's all said and done.

·
Your visions will happen
54,001 Posts
Verdasco made 4 slam QFs or better in his entire career; Shapovalov already has 2.
Verdasco made 2 masters SFs or better in his entire career; Shapovalov already has 5.

Seems obvious Shapovalov will likely accomplish much more than Verdasco when it's all said and done.
Verdasco won 7 titles and career high rank #7, played in a YEC
Shapo has won 1 title and career high rank #10

It is likely Shapo exceeds Verdasco numerically, but has yet to reach Verdasco's best level

·
Registered
Federer
1,446 Posts
I like how @DinnerWarrior thinks Fiasco is a god LMAO. Maybe a decade ago for one match :sneaky:. Who the fuck cares? Shapo will have a much better career than that clown.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts