Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Second seed Andy Murray will meet Spaniard David Ferrer in the final of the Shanghai Masters after a straight sets win over Kei Nishikori of Japan. By reaching the semi-finals, Nishikori will become the highest ranked Japanese men's singles player ever when the rankings are released on Monday. Murray also stands a chance of improving his ranking: a win against Ferrer in the final would see him jump to third in the rankings, overtaking Roger Federer.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Andy played well but not spectacular, he didn't have to. Kei was completely flat, most likely tired from the earlier rounds. Disappointment of a match.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Murray too strong today. Everything was working, his serve was looking great especially. I expect him to win the title for sure now, and then to jump to number three. Good match from Murray, disapointing from Nishikori.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
You sound like a news reporter. Heh.

Well, disappointing that it was so comfortable for Andy, but he played his best tennis of the week.

Kei should be proud of this week, he'll go up in leaps and bounds. Played some fluid points in the first set and some great touches.

Reactions: EddceLLent

·
Registered
903 Posts
Did you enjoy your bagel Kei ;)

Reactions: wildemu

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Well...at least Kei's consistent. He ate a bagel in the very first set and now fed again in the final set at this tournament.

He seem a bit off, and Murray was brutal and the result was expected.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Murray strong and hitting the ball cleanly and serving well, but clearly it was one match too far for Kei, after the first six games he was lost and by the end he couldn't wait to get off court.

It's one of the consequences of his game - he struggles through matches a lot, plays a lot of three setters and so when he gets through to a SF there's not necessarily a lot of energy left in the tank.

Still, it's been an excellent week overall for him, finally over the Project 45 hump and can focus on improving and getting fitter for 2012.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Kei... :hug: :sad:
I think poor Kei was hurting, probably his right ankle, because he was not running from around the middle of the third set. He will need to learn to spend less time in early rounds so that he has his stamina left in later rounds.

Murray was serving great and was in complete control of the match. Well done to him.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Eh, Nishi played some good points in the first set, but Murray has bageled someone in the final set the previous two weeks as well, so not unexpected.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Never understood why there is so much love for this Japanese chump.

I guess it's cuz it's cuz people will support anyone but Murray!! Lol Murray.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Good from Murray, but typical of him to play well only when everyone is either tired, injured or burnt out. World number one Vulture.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Good from Murray, but typical of him to play well only when everyone is either tired, injured or burnt out. World number one Vulture.
:yawn: Nadal wasn't injured, tired, or burnt out, and said so in his interview. In fact he looked the sharpest of the week in his first set against Murray. Also, Murray is the one who has played 4 tournaments in 3 weeks, so if anyone should be tired, it should be him.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Andy played well but not spectacular, he didn't have to. Kei was completely flat, most likely tired from the earlier rounds. Disappointment of a match.
That statement is definitely wrong. Nishikori came out firing on all cylinders ripping crushing forehands but as we all know no one absorbs power better than Murray and this stupid game plan cost the Jap. He definitely wasn't flat though. His big hitting would have knocked a lot of guys off the court.

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
That statement is definitely wrong. Nishikori came out firing on all cylinders ripping crushing forehands but as we all know no one absorbs power better than Murray and this stupid game plan cost the Jap. He definitely wasn't flat though. His big hitting would have knocked a lot of guys off the court.
:rolleyes: Alright, I'll correct myself. After half a set, Nishikori went completely flat.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
:rolleyes: Alright, I'll correct myself. After half a set, Nishikori went completely flat.
Yeah, he wasn't able to keep up the play he showed in a few rallies early on, which is understandable. If he had though, I'm certain a Murray lapse was around the corner for Kei to take advantage.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Kei really had no chance to put any pressure on Murray though, because he couldn't get into Murray's service games. After he went really aggressive at the start, it was a bit reckless and he gave a break to Murray. After that he was always going to be behind, unless he could put pressure on Murray which as I said he couldn't, too many unreturned 2nd serves.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts