Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only watched the final set tiebreak. Ebden was smart and played well tactically, hasn't lost a point on serve, while Thiem was a typical Thiem on hardcourts.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Fantastic work there from Matty Ebden. He played beautifully throughout but he was most effective at the net where he volleyed beautifully. Was very unlucky to lose the second set but came back strongly. Three way tussle going on for the number 1 Aussie ranking. Exciting times for Australian tennis.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matthew Ebden :rocker: What a player
Great one.

Already +30 positions in comparison to 2017 YE rankings. It seems that peaking at >30 y.o. has become common in ATP :)

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Thiem should have stayed in Europe, this match definitely wasn't worth the travelling. Otherwise the draw looked quite good actually...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
Ebden played a great match, despite failing to serve it out. Thiem honestly didn't exactly do that much wrong in some ways.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ebden played a great match, despite failing to serve it out. Thiem honestly didn't exactly do that much wrong in some ways.
Exactly, Thiem has already played way worse matches on speed hard courts but Edben's serves were too efficient and earn him many easy volleys.
Congrats to him: seeing this kind of tactics played during an entire match is always pleasing to the eyes.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
That's fast court's biggest appeal and why they are needed in the tour. The baseline game even if real good like thiem can be beaten by a good attacking on a good day. All makes for tennis variety and the difference toward other sports

·
Registered
397 Posts
I love bashing Domi. He deserved all critics here, losing it to a serve bot like an utmost mug he really is. I mean i like him, he is a funny and nice guy but pls. dont anybody ever ever consider him as a favorite for anything outside of clay. He is one of my dearest players that dissapointed me so much times, but i keep believing in him dont know why.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,625 Posts
I love bashing Domi. He deserved all critics here, losing it to a serve bot like an utmost mug he really is. I mean i like him, he is a funny and nice guy but pls. dont anybody ever ever consider him as a favorite for anything outside of clay. He is one of my dearest players that dissapointed me so much times, but i keep believing in him dont know why.
we eat from the same wafer bowl.
I think life without understanding and going through failure is actually a dull one, as fallible human beings. Failure makes us want to consider the alternative possibilities, and appreciate the successes a lot more. Maybe you can connect with him more this way.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Domi made a smart decision to only play one tournament in this year's Asian swing. Next year he should take it a step further and skip Shanghai too, it's just not worth the travel. Those courts are absolute poison to his game.

Although it has to be said that Ebden was absolutely peaking from what I have seen, flawless off the ground, a wall at the net, and a serve that was always there when he needed it

Surprised Matt didn't choke that TB away after that choke from *6-5 not serving it out. Tennis saved!
"choke"

Thiem hit like five winners in that game

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Where is Demonic? :rolls:

and thiem is now winless in asia over the last 2 years
That's just criminal for a top 6 player and multiple GS semifinalist :surprise:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Where is Demonic? :rolls:

That's just criminal
for a top 6 player and multiple GS semifinalist :surprise:
Why? As a mini Nadal, it's really only expected from these court conditions, as we repeatedly keep seeing from Claybots away from slow surfaces.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Ebden a serve bot? :confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts