Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
DecoColor - pretty slow for a hard court. Specifically, quite a high bounce.

That's if they haven't changed anything. It is oddly slow for the type of surface (compare with Washington for example, the same name of surface but much quicker).

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
They resurface the courts every year.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Federer actually bitched about it to the organizers last year (and not just then) and I've heard that the officials sent him back some info (during the USO) telling him that they've resurfaced and tested the speed of the court to what it should have been from the start.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Given the kind of draw Federer is in Asia, I would imagine some people had their heads cut off after last years' debacle.

Federer would've skipped it anyway but I guess it does plant a seed of doubt in the organizer's mind.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Early reports are claiming that the main court is a tad faster then the outer courts and that there's a possibility of rain throughout the week so chances to see some indoor matches.

There are a few matches tomorrow that will give us some good insight on how the conditions are like.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Do you really expect a fast hc these days? Fast surfaces are dead.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Thanks for the updates, Li.

Only comment I've seen is Bellucci saying it was slower than Beijing. That's pretty telling, cos Bellucci actually played an evening match in Beijing (13/14C, 85%+ humidity). Not sure how much to put in that though, he's not exactly a typical hard courter - with him what appears fast is likely more about bounce than the speed.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Flo Mayer also said that the courts in Shanghai suit him more than in Beijing, and we all know he's better on slow HC than fast HC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts