IN Fyrstenberg, M. POL/Matkowski, M. POL
1 Melo, M. BRA/Sa, A. BRA
2 Aspelin, S. SWE/Knowle, J. AUT
3 Damm, M. CZE/Vizner, P. CZE

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Shanghai Entry List (as of July 9, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/bigthree.asp
NEWS
July 9, 2008
Top Trio Qualifies For Tennis Masters Cup

New Wimbledon champion Rafael Nadal is among a star trio announced as the first qualifiers for the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup. The Spaniard will join four-time champion Roger Federer of Switzerland, whom he beat in an epic Wimbledon final, and Serbian Novak Djokovic at the prestigious circuit finale, to be held for the fourth year at Shanghai’s Qi Zhong Stadium from November 9-16.

New Wimbledon champions and Stanford ATP Doubles Race leaders Daniel Nestor of Canada and Serbian Nenad Zimonjic, and American twins Bob and Mike Bryan, have also clinched the first two doubles places in the elite eight-team field at Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai.

ATP World No. 2 Nadal, who became the first player since Sweden’s Bjorn Borg in 1980 to capture to Roland Garros and Wimbledon title back-to-back, has held down the top stop in the ATP 2008 Race standings since clinching his fourth straight Roland Garros title in June. He currently leads the ATP circuit with a 56-7 match record and six titles this season. Following runner-up finishes in Chennai and at the ATP Masters Series event in Miami, the Spaniard won at Monte-Carlo, Barcelona, Hamburg and Roland Garros and then collected his first career grass court title at Queen’s Club prior to his historic triumph at the All England Club.

“I have just been informed that I have qualified for the Masters in Shanghai,” said Nadal, a semifinalist in his two Tennis Masters Cup appearances. “I am very happy about this fact since it will be my fourth consecutive. I couldn’t play on the first one and I have never managed to win it, so I am really looking forward for this year’s event and as always I’ll try my best knowing it won’t be easy.”

ATP World No. 1 and defending Tennis Masters Cup champion Federer is set to return to the circuit finale for the seventh straight year following his appearance in the Wimbledon final. The Swiss has compiled a 43-9 season record, collecting ATP titles in April at Estoril and in June at Halle. In addition to Wimbledon, he finished as runner-up to Nadal at Masters Series Monte-Carlo, Masters Series Hamburg and Roland Garros.

Federer has reached the Tennis Masters Cup final the past five years. He won back-to-back titles in 2003-04 and again in 2006-07.

Djokovic earns his second straight Tennis Masters Cup berth, having compiled a 38-9 record and three titles through the first half of the season. The 21-year-old Serb opened the year by capturing his first career Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, and followed it up with the ATP Masters Series titles at Indian Wells and Rome.

Following the Wimbledon final, Nadal has accumulated 955 points to lead the ATP 2008 Race. Federer holds the second position in the Race with 685 points and Djokovic the third with 649 points, 278 points ahead of his nearest rival, Nikolay Davydenko.

“It is wonderful to see these three great players, Rafa, Roger and Novak, qualify for the Tennis Masters Cup again. Shanghai 2008 is certain to be a thrilling finale as the battle for the year-end World No.1 ranking is the closest in years,” said Tennis Masters Cup Tournament Director Brad Drewett.

Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic overtook the Bryan twins at the top position in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race by winning their third title from their fifth consecutive final, Saturday at Wimbledon. Nestor and Zimonjic have compiled a 22-2 team record in their last five tournaments, lifting the trophies at Masters Series Hamburg, Queen’s Club and Wimbledon and finishing runners-up at Masters Series Rome and Roland Garros.

This marks the sixth straight year that Nestor has qualified for the Tennis Masters Cup. After reaching the final for the first time in 2006, he and long-time partner Mark Knowles clinched the title last year. Zimonjic will be making his third appearance in the circuit finale, and reached the final in his Tennis Masters Cup debut three years ago with Leander Paes.

Bob and Mike Bryan, the No. 1 doubles team for the past three years, have a 43-12 season record with three titles in eight finals. They moved into sole position of the No. 4 position on the list of Open Era doubles titles leaders by clinching their 45th career ATP title in April at Miami, and then titled at Barcelona and Rome.

The 30-year-old American twins, who missed last year’s circuit finale due to Mike’s elbow injury, won back-to-back Tennis Masters Cup titles in 2003-04 when the tournament was held in Houston.

The top seven players in the ATP 2008 Race and the top seven teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race following the BNP Paribas Masters qualify for the circuit finale, with one spot reserved for Grand Slam champions finishing within the Top 20.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Shanghai Entry List (as of July 9, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/murray_qualifies.asp
September 9, 2008
Murray, Erlich/Ram Qualify for Tennis Masters Cup

- US Open finalist to make debut at prestigious circuit finale
- Reigning Australian Open doubles champions return to Shanghai for third year

Shanghai, China – US Open finalist Andy Murray of Great Britain secured his first trip to the prestigious Tennis Masters Cup—to be held at Shanghai’s Qi Zhong Stadium from November 9-16—joining the ATP’s top trio of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic as singles players to have clinched their place in the elite eight-man, eight-team field. Meanwhile, reigning Australian Open doubles champions Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram became the third team to qualify for the circuit finale.

Murray moved up to a career-high No. 4 in the ATP 2008 Race and South African Airways ATP Rankings – matching the highest ranking ever held by a British man – after reaching his first Grand Slam final at the US Open. En route, he defeated World No. 10 Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round, snapped Juan Martin del Potro’s 23-match winning streak in the quarterfinals and posted his first win in six meetings against World No. 1 Nadal in the semifinals.

“I am having my best season ever and qualifying for (Tennis Masters Cup) Shanghai is a great reward. It was one of my goals at the beginning of 2008 and I look forward to competing there for the first time,” said Murray, the first Briton to qualify for the circuit finale since Tim Henman in 2004.

The 21-year-old from Dunblane, Scotland, has enjoyed an impressive 2008 campaign with a 41-14 record. He won the Doha and Marseille titles in the first two months of the season, and collected his first ATP Masters Series title in August at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters in Cincinnati. His eight wins against Top 10 players this season – inclusive of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic – is the second-best on the ATP circuit behind Nadal’s 16.

Tennis Masters Cup Tournament Director Brad Drewett said: “We are very excited to have Andy in Shanghai this year, especially as he was so close to qualifying last year. He has had another outstanding year and everyone in China is looking forward to having him qualifying for his first Masters Cup event later this year.”

Erlich and Ram, currently No. 3 in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race behind US Open champions Bob and Mike Bryan and Wimbledon titlists Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic, will be making their third straight appearance at the Tennis Masters Cup. They will be looking to advance beyond the round robin stage for the first time in Shanghai, after going 1-2 in each of their circuit finale showings. The Israeli duo enjoyed a strong start to the 2008 season with their team’s first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open and the ATP Masters Series shield at Indian Wells.

The top eight players in the ATP 2008 Race following the BNP Paribas Masters along with the top seven teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race, with one spot reserved for Grand Slam champions finishing within the Top 20, will qualify for the circuit finale.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated September 9, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/davydenko_qualifies.asp
October 19, 2008
Davydenko, 2 Doubles Teams Qualify

Russian Nikolay Davydenko is the fifth player to secure a position in the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The 27-year-old joins the Top 4 of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray in the eight- player field, which will be held Nov. 9-16. There are three spots remaining with more than 10 players in contention in the final two weeks of the regular season.

Davydenko is on course to finish in the Top 5 South African Airways ATP Rankings for the fourth consecutive year. This season he’s won three ATP titles, at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami, his second career ATP Masters Series shield, in Poertschach and Warsaw. He also reached the final in Estoril. He’s compiled a 49-18 match record on the season

Davydenko said: "I'm very happy to qualify to the Tennis Masters Cup for the fourth consecutive year. It is very special for me to play in Shanghai. The tournament is so good. The organization, the stadium, the hotel, the crowd, everything is great."

In doubles, two more teams qualified for Shanghai. The No. 3 team in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race, Mahesh Bhupathi of India and Mark Knowles of Bahamas, along with Roland Garros champions Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay and Luis Horna of Peru.

Bhupathi and Knowles have won ATP titles in Memphis and Dubai while reaching four finals, three at ATP Masters Series events (Miami, Monte Carlo, Madrid). Cuevas and Horna have played together in three tournaments this season (7-2 record), gaining entry into Shanghai as a result of their Roland Garros title (d. Nestor-Zimonjic) in June.

The top eight players in the ATP 2008 Race following the BNP Paribas Masters and the top seven teams in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race, plus Roland Garros champions Cuevas and Horna, qualify for the circuit finale.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated October 20, 2008)

vamos Horna y Cuevas!

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated October 26, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/2/players/singles/roddick.asp
October 30, 2008
Andy Roddick

Andy Roddick became the sixth player to qualify for Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai by reaching the quarterfinals of the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris.

The 26-year-old American is competing at the prestigious circuit finale for the fifth time in his career. He has reached the semifinals three times in 2003 (l. to Federer), and 2004 (l. to Hewitt) at Houston and last year in Shanghai (l. to Ferrer). He also qualified in 2005, but withdrew prior to the event due to a back injury.

Roddick has captured three ATP titles at San Jose (d. Stepanek), Dubai (d. Lopez) and Beijing (d. Sela) this season. He also finished runner-up at Los Angeles (l. to del Potro) prior to a quarterfinal exit at the US Open (l. to Djokovic), which represented his best Grand Slam performance in 2008.

The Austin, Texas resident also made semifinal runs at ATP Masters Series events in Miami (l. to Davydenko) and Rome (l. to Wawrinka), Queen’s Club (l. to Nadal) and Tokyo (l. to Berdych).

At the Australian Open in January, Roddick fired a career-high 42 aces in his five-set loss (8-6 in fifth) to Philipp Kohlschreiber in the third round.

TENNIS MASTERS CUP
Appearances: Qualifying for sixth time
W-L record: 8-7

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated October 30, 2008)

If Del Potro qualifies but withdraw, and Ferrer does the same thing, a tie for the 8th spot between Blake and Tsonga would be posible (with Semis for Tsonga and QF for Blake in Paris)... Who would go to Shangai then?

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated October 30, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/2/players/singles/delpotro.asp
November 1, 2008
Juan Martin del Potro

Juan Martin del Potro became the seventh player to qualify for Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai, where he will compete at the prestigious circuit finale for the first time.

The 20-year-old Argentine is one of the most improved players on the ATP circuit in 2008, winning four ATP titles in five finals while breaking into the Top 10 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings. He is also the youngest player to earn a spot in Shanghai.

Del Potro climbed from No. 65 on July 7 to No. 13 on September 8, after capturing four titles in a row. Following his second round exit at Wimbledon, from July on he has won 36 of 41 matches, including a personal-best 23-match winning streak.

He captured his first ATP title at Stuttgart (d. Gasquet) and the following week won the Kitzbuhel crown (d. Melzer). At his next tournament, on hard courts in August he won back-to-back titles in Los Angeles (d. Roddick) and Washington (d. Troicki) before his streak ended with a quarterfinal loss at the US Open (l. to Murray).

He finished runner-up in Tokyo (l. to Berdych) and broke into the Top 10 on October 6 (from No. 12 to No. 9).

TENNIS MASTERS CUP
Appearances: 1 (2008)
W-L: 0-0

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated November 1, 2008)

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/doubles/
November 1, 2008
South Africans Claim Final Shanghai Berth

South Africans Wesley Moodie and Jeff Coetzee secured the final berth at Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai after defeating in-form Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski 6-4, 6-3 in the semifinals of the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris on Saturday.

The sixth seeds converted four of seven break points in total and dropped only eight points on serve to prevail in 1 hr., 5 min. They will make their team debut at the prestigious circuit finale that will be held at the Qi Zhong Stadium from November 8-16.

Coetzee and Moodie improved to 28-14 on the season, highlighted by capturing the Estoril title (d. Murray-Ullyett) and finishing runners-up at Doha (l. to Kohlschreiber-Skoch). They are through to their first ATP Masters Series final.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated November 1, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/fieldset.asp
November 3, 2008
Tsonga Claims Last Shanghai Slot

Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga clinched the eighth and final singles berth at Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai by winning the BNP Paribas Masters title in Paris on Sunday. In a winner-take-all final that rewarded the victor with the final Shanghai slot, Tsonga defeated defending champion David Nalbandian 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to qualify for his first year-end championship.

Tennis Masters Cup begins this Sunday, Nov. 9 and runs through Sunday Nov. 16 in Shanghai, China.

Tsonga completes a diverse field comprised of players from eight different nations, including ATP World No. 1 Rafael Nadal, of Spain, and four-time champion Roger Federer, of Switzerland. (See full list of qualifiers below).

The only previous time in the history of the year-end championships eight players from eight different countries were represented came in 1974 in Melbourne. The field comprised Bjorn Borg (SWE), John Newcombe (AUS), Guillermo Vilas (ARG), Onny Parun (NZL), Ilie Nastase (ROM), Manuel Orantes (ESP), Raul Ramirez (MEX) and Harold Solomon (USA).

Tsonga, who began Sunday at No. 8 in the ATP 2008 Race, received a further 30 points to leapfrog Juan Martin del Potro – who also will make his Tennis Masters Cup debut - and claim seventh place. Earlier in the tournament American Andy Roddick qualified for the circuit finale for the sixth time in his career.

"I'm going to go there (Shanghai) really to represent France and all my family and my friends," said Tsonga. "That's it. I'm going to represent everyone and I'm going to give my best. I think the Masters will be a very important moment for me. Maybe another great victory could maybe replace this one."

Tsonga began the year by reaching the Australian Open final but missed three months in the middle of the season after undergoing right knee surgery. He returned to the ATP tour at the US Open and soon after won the Bangkok title before also winning his first ATP Masters Series shield in Paris.

Del Potro created history this year when he won his first ATP title in Stuttgart in July and went on to win four consecutive titles (Kitzbuehel, Los Angeles, Washington). Roddick, who has won three titles in 2008 (San Jose, Dubai, Beijing) has qualified for Tennis Masters Cup for six consecutive years (he withdrew in 2005). He has reached the semifinals three times, including in Shanghai last year.

The BNP Paribas Masters also decided the final doubles place at Tennis Masters Cup. That battle also hinged on a head-to-head showdown between the last two contenders: South Africans Jeff Coetzee and Wesley Moodie and Polish duo Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski. The two teams met in the semifinals, with Coetzee and Moodie triumphing to clinch their first appearance at Tennis Masters Cup. The South Africans lost the Paris final to Jonas Bjorkman and Kevin Ullyett, but moved to sixth in the Stanford ATP Doubles Race.

·
Premium Member
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Re: Shanghai Entry List (updated November 2, 2008)

http://www.masters-cup.com/1/news/2008/nadal_withdraws.asp
November 3, 2008
Nadal Withdraws From Tennis Masters Cup

ATP World No. 1 Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai, which begins Sunday. Nadal's withdrawal elevates Frenchman Gilles Simon into the elite eight-man playing field. Simon is No. 9 in the ATP 2008 Race after his breakout season, which included three titles in Casablanca, Indianapolis and Bucharest.

In the doubles event at Tennis Masters Cup, Australian Open champions Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram have withdrawn and will be replaced by Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski. Erlich (elbow) has not played since the US Open.

Nadal injured his right knee during last week's BNP Paribas Masters in Paris, when he retired after the first set of his quarterfinal match with Nikolay Davydenko. "I know that many people were speculating with this news and even though I have not yet done any test, I can say I take the right decision," Nadal said in a statement.

Nadal had qualified for Tennis Masters Cup for the fourth consecutive year, reaching the semifinals the past two seasons. The 22-year-old has enjoyed an outstanding year in 2008, winning eight titles, including a fourth consecutive Roland Garros crown, his first Wimbledon title, Olympic gold and three ATP Masters Series titles in Monte-Carlo, Hamburg and Toronto.

Nadal replaced Roger Federer as No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings in August and is also guaranteed to end Federer's four-year hold on the coveted year-end No. 1 Ranking.

Nadal said through a written statement: "I have decided not to compete on the Masters Cup in Shanghai... This is one of the most difficult decisions in my career due to the importance of the event and above all, due to the fact of not making possible my will to be with the fans in China and the tournament organizers that always treated me in such special way.

"I am deeply saddened and disappointed for my fans around the world that expected to see me in Shanghai fighting in every match. I do expect to be there again in October '09 for the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Shanghai."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts