Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uhh, not actually played in Canberra, due to the fires, dunno exactly where. Anyway, Emil just keeps on trucking. Will play either Donskoy or Kohlschreiber in the final, both of whom had to play the end of their quarterfinals today, looks like the semi is going to three sets.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ruusuvuori is playing Kohlschreiber in the final. I recommend watching that, its gonna be good tennis. If Emil wins he becomes ranked #96th in the world. Its just a question of time but still a pretty big deal for anyone to break the top 100

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Beating Kohlschreiber would be one of his biggest wins for me. Even if Kohlschreiber is old man these days. :D

Not exactly what I saw coming from this week when Ramanathan took the opening set in their 1R match but here we are. :)

Cheering for Ruusuvuori but seeing a possible upset.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I trust in Emil in this one. The final I mean (Kudla already taken care of in the semis, as this thread title indicates).

Beating Domi on home soil last year still remains as Emil's biggest win for me (so far), especially considering what Domi went on to achieve on HC during the end of last season, and no matter what happens in this final against Kohli.

But of course I'm cheering for Emil as well here, and very loudly :D(y);)

Breaking into top 100 would be a great thing to achieve for a youngster like Emil at this stage.
He's got so much ahead of him as well, should he just keep his head calm and his body in good shape, avoiding injuries. And I know he's capable of doing all that.

He's got all it takes to be the next big thing in the tennis world as far as Finland and Finnish tennis is concerned - we cannot expect real miracle's coming our way anyway, can we?

So being as good as Emil is is definitely good enough for me, and actually I'd rather say great instead of just good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ruusuvuori is on such a tear. That round 2 match versus Sinner could've actually been the 'real' final. ?

Sorry about text size, on mobile and copy pasted Ruusuvuori's name.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Glad to see some other folks in addition to us Finns commenting in this thread as well, even if just by a few words.

Hopefully much more people will be interested in Emil in a few months, as I'm expecting him to start playing at the main Tour during this season, not just the challengers, if everything goes well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hopefully much more people will be interested in Emil in a few months, as I'm expecting him to start playing at the main Tour during this season, not just the challengers, if everything goes well.
I believe that Canberra will be his last challeger for a long time. After AO he will play only in the main Tour.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad to see some other folks in addition to us Finns commenting in this thread as well, even if just by a few words.

He's on the cusp of the top 100 with very little to defend until late June. He better play tour level qualifying or main draw very soon or else something is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Ruusuvuori is on such a tear. That round 2 match versus Sinner could've actually been the real final.

Sorry about text size, on mobile and copy pasted Ruusuvuori's name.
You are better off by just using his first name Emil - much easier to remember and write, so no copy paste needed (Finnish family names can be a bit frustrating, but that actually applies to so many other nationalities as well). And absolutely no offence intended here, just a friendly tip :).

And yes, I know what you mean as I'm a fan of Jannik as well, so that was the match for me in this particular tournament. Was a bit torn on whom to support there, but eventually very glad that Emil won.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
He's on the cusp of the top 100 with very little to defend until late June. He better play tour level qualifying or main draw very soon or else something is seriously wrong.
You actually got a good response to the above from @Anakonda just above your post.

That's what I'm expecting and hoping as well, provided that all goes well for Emil and he stays fit, as I said earlier.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You actually got a good response to the above from @Anakonda just above your post.

That's what I'm expecting and hoping as well, provided that all goes well for Emil and he stays fit, as I said earlier.
Hes scheduled to play one in France next month between the 250 events. Obviously could withdraw depending on how things go.

He is going to play Montpellier250, Cherbourg (CH 42,5K), Marseille250 and Dubai500 next month. DC and then try to qualify for IW and Miami in march. So he is gunning for big things. :)

Cant wait for the AO qualifiers. No matter how well you are playing - its hard to qualify. Those dudes are all good players and they are desperate for the GS MD spot.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I believe that Canberra will be his last challeger for a long time. After AUS he will play only in the main Tour.
Agreed. Provided that all goes well and no unexpected injuries pop up.

In my opinion Emil's definitely got the head and skills these days to play on the main Tour.

He could still work on some of his skills on court, but I'm pretty sure that's what on his team's 'to do' list. And practically everyone else on the main Tour has those lists as well, definitely nothing to be ashamed about in that.

It's constant development that you will need to become a steady top 20-30 player, or even more than that (just using that range as an example, as I have no idea yet how high Emil could actually end up in the rankings, but he should at least make it in top 20-30).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Hes scheduled to play one in France next month between the 250 events. Obviously could withdraw depending on how things go.

He is going to play Montpellier250, Cherbourg (CH 42,5K), Marseille250 and Dubai500 next month. DC and then try to qualify for IW and Miami in march. So he is gunning for big things. :)

Cant wait for the AO qualifiers. No matter how well you are playing - its hard to qualify. Those dudes are all good players and they are desperate for the GS MD spot.
Thanks for the info, this is great to hear.

Obviosly the players have to make plans pretty early, not knowing yet how succesfull each challenger will prove to be.

Looking forward to the AO qualies me as well (just a shame that a certain Scott will not be playing in Australia, would have travelled there to see the action live otherwise).

·
Registered
26,145 Posts
He could still change now from Cherbourg to Rotterdam Q, would make sense. Rotterdam usually tries to get all the talents or not?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts