Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3054011.stm

Seven male tennis players have tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone.

But, in an extraordinary twist, the ATP, which runs the men's tour, says the players are not to blame - they are themselves.

The ATP has effectively accepted responsibility by saying its own trainers have been handing out black-listed supplements.

The trainers, who travel on the tour helping players with their medical needs, have been giving players electrolyte replacement health products despite warnings not to.

These products are believed to have been used for 20 years without previous incident.

It is a huge embarrassment for the ATP and world tennis.

The International Tennis Federation is believed to be privately furious at how this has arisen.

The ATP says distribution of the supplements has been halted and appropriate action against personnel has been taken.

Between August last year and the middle of May, seven players, including Bohdan Ulihrach, who was given a two-year ban for a doping offence on 2 May, gave samples which showed traces of nandrolone above the legal limit.

Samples from another 25 players showed traces of nandrolone but insufficient to test positive.

Subsequent tests showed a unique similarity between them all, suggesting a single source.

Ulihrach, a former top-30 player from the Czech Republic, has now been cleared after an appeal tribunal heard about the new evidence.

His fine, two year ban and ranking point deduction, have all been dismissed.

Interviews with ATP trainers confirmed that he had received a total of nine tablets in the three days before his positive test.

This is why the other six players are unlikely to ever be named.

Questions are bound to be raised about the ATP's handling of the affair.

They, along with the ITF and WTA, are signed up to the Wold Anti-Doping Code which states that cases on appeal must be handled by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
I wonder why they won't name them. Proally cos most of them are american and VERY well known. *cough*

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The ATP, you deserved this! A lot of mistreatment to too many players for years! IT ALL ENDS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God have mercy on your souls

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The ATP are in big trouble. Hewitt will never win his lawsuit, but Ulihrach will, and so could many more...

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Maybe that ATP "plant" wasn't something Potato was smoking after all? :eek:

I wonder if the ATP was at fault for Coria's suspension? More ammo for the creation of IMTA.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
they had BETTER check into the suspension of the Argies!!!! i hope that the players involved all sue the ATP's ass to the hilt! now THERE's an issue worth suing over!!!!

i agree with Pea -- the only reason they won't name names is bec certain AMERICAN big servers immediately spring to mind...:eek:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Tennis Fool said:
Maybe that ATP "plant" wasn't something Potato was smoking after all? :eek: .
ha! ha!

I wonder if the ATP was at fault for Coria's suspension? More ammo for the creation of IMTA.
not only Coria but Chela as well. i suspect that these supplements were meant only for the likes of Baldy and Pandy but somehow they got in the hands of Uhlirach et al...:eek:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
hm it's not really clear....i agree that the player not named have to be american or well known...
but i think that ATP didn't want to do this or maybe??
do u know when IMTA'site will be open?

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
I'm sure that if say, Jeff Morrison (random American I was reading about 5 minutes ago) was one of the names, they would have no problem spitting them out. There have to be some big names in there, and not just of the "Agassi-Roddick" brand either... for all we know it's just as likely that one of the past two slam champs could be in there...surely they would want to cover that up as well? It's not really fair to assume that one of them *must* have been Andre or Roddick...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
maybe they're scared we might find out how the Android really got his 14 Slams...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

name the names Mark Miles, you cowardly piece of crap!!!! :fiery:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
They shouldn't name the names, and probably won't. Association with a scandal which is totally the ATP's fault will besmirch their names, regardless. And that will allow any of these players more of a right to sue the ATP for defamation of character.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
It wouldn't be called an accusation if we had proof.;)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Do we NEED proof?! LOL! We don't NEED to know anything...it's just not our problem. And you may always find out something you didn't want to know if you go digging in someone else's trash--unless you were clever not to care in the first place

But humans are gossipy and always curious, so I don't blame anyone for being amused by all this

Hurley, I agree

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Seven male tennis players have tested positive for the banned steroid nandrolone.

Samples from another 36 players showed traces of nandrolone but insufficient to test positive.
43 ATP players with an anabolic steroid in their system during 2002 and 2003, but any problem could not be found!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.