Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 24 hours at the Wimbledon mens qualies in Roehampton, seven results stand out the most.

Jaziri (7, WR 118) d Millot (WR 209) 4-6 6-3 6-0
Wang (23, WR 148) d Zhang (WR 189) 4-6 6-3 6-0
Reynolds (WR 297) d Bubka (WR 1644) 3-6 6-4 6-0
Brands (16, WR 133) d Zemlja (WR 217) 4-6 6-4 6-0
Arnaboldi (WR 165) d Viola (WR 178) 6-3 4-6 6-0
Polansky (WR 127) d Michon (WR 179) 3-6 6-4 6-0
Dzumhur (5, WR 123) d Pavic (WR 163) 6-3 3-6 6-0

In all except one match (Arnaboldi vs Viola), the lower ranked opponents who played seeds went onto lose their respective matches 6-0 in the third set, all in one day. Whats more, some of the players who lost their matches have been accused of match fixing before. These are Millot, Zemlja and Michon. Even more so, all the scorelines are extremely similar with them all having 6-3 and 6-4 sets in or just 6-3 or 6-4.

Is this a bizzare coincidence, or does anyone sense a massive match fixing scandal going on here?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Those scorelines :eek: All sets are only 6-3 6-4 6-0. Bizzare!

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
First, only 4 seeds were involved in these "upsets", not all of them.

Second, these are 7 results out of all Wimbledon quallies played until now (96 matches) - more than 24 hours. Given the fact that this is grass and we're talking about the lower ranked player losing, how is this such a surprising result.

Third, how are we getting to "match fixing" from these. Do you have any proof????? Be careful what you answer here.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, only 4 seeds were involved in these "upsets", not all of them.

Second, these are 7 results out of all Wimbledon quallies played until now (96 matches) - more than 24 hours. Given the fact that this is grass and we're talking about the lower ranked player losing, how is this such a surprising result.

Third, how are we getting to "match fixing" from these. Do you have any proof????? Be careful what you answer here.
How can I have proof of such a theory? It hasn't been said to be match fixing, and I posed the question whether it COULD be to you, not a statement saying it is. The proof is in the pudding, look at the results. Also it was 24 hours as of yesterday, today is not included obviously. That could have been made clear, but oh well.

·
Rankings Master
15,649 Posts
How can I have proof of such a theory? It hasn't been said to be match fixing, and I posed the question whether it COULD be to you, not a statement saying it is. The proof is in the pudding, look at the results. Also it was 24 hours as of yesterday, today is not included obviously. That could have been made clear, but oh well.
Than there would be no reason for LTA to look into this. BTW, this is ITF territory, not LTA.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Also i don't believe in fixing here. Fixes are not that obvious and ... i don't know but i just don't believe it. You could also say Monfils-Murray could be seen as a fix because of that out of nowhere 6-0 in the 5th going by this logic, no?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Seven third-set bagels is probably more than average for the Wimbledon qualifying tournament, but not enough to suggest anything other than chance. The fourteen 6-3/6-4 scores in the first two sets certainly do not set off any alarms. Those are very common set scores. There is also nothing special going on with seeded players here, as the title suggests.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
5 from those matches even that guy who lost final set won 1st set... i think it´s suspicious, maybe being this on clay wouldn´t be so suspicious, but on grass you can take set from that guy but get bagel in last set on grass - you should be able to hold at least 1 service game with free points and so on

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Normally it would be just considered an amazing coincidence, but when you factor in that some of those names mentioned have already had suspicions of fixing directed towards them, then it suddenly becomes a bit dodgy.

But i think it's highly unlikely and as usual it would have to be backed up with any strange betting patterns, which would have to be researched by a different governing body than the ITF.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
Just amazing.

Even more because this is played on fast grass where 6-0 set is the hardest to win (you need to break opponent three times). And here are seven of them in the final sets.
:confused: :unexplained files:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts