Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in: I do, in fact, buy underwear at the grocery store. Deb is correct.

No, not really.

Something has been digging at me recently and I feel a need to discuss it. Though I will discuss it later this evening after several beers, I would think it's best to also try to give this some thought whie I'm sober. And killing time at work. I'm going to use myself as the main example for this rant, but it's really just a general commentary. The question which I seek to answer is: what's wrong with settling? To clarify, I live in a world where we're encouraged to always push ourselves, to accomplish as much as we can given our individual abilities. What this means is that while it may be considered perfectly acceptable for one person to live their life bouncing from one odd job to another and spending their weekends by the bottle, similar behaviour would be considered deplorable from somebody of great intellectual or athletic ability. While I believe that our success as individuals should be measured by our level of happiness and psychological well being, it seems that it is most often measured based on how well we've lived up to the expecations that others have put on us.

My case in point is that I'm currently working at a call centre, taking calls from people checking on repair stats. It's easy, I'm not learning a whole lot doing it, and am hardy going to make a living doing it. However, for the time being I'm quite pleased with the social circle that I'm establishing, and with being able to truly relax for the first time in years. Long term I have no interest in pursuing this as a career... but what if I did? Would that be so wrong? My father the other day lectured on how it was a pity to see people of great academic talent settle for what's easy. My thought was that while perhaps some people do settle for what's easy, perhaps there are many who are simply making a choice that makes them happy. And if that's the case, then why should their choice be looked on negatively?

Is one obligated to make certain choices simply because they possess certain talents which make them more likely to succeed than most?

I'll continue this after my lunch break...

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
make a post of this and i'll reply, good read, interesting comments await

·
Banned
757 Posts
Generally, I would say that I can't see someone being happy doing a job that isn't at his academic level. For a while, ok, but in long term?

Having a social circle is nice to have, but most people who studied at college I assume have this need also of using their intellectual abilities. I'm sure working at a call center is fun for a while, but after you probably wouldn't find it satisfying anymore.

People shouldn't feel "obligated" to do certain things because of their potential, but... If you have potentiel, isn't it silly to not use it?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Potential for the most part is a fraudulent excuse for those that don't want to push themselves. People get what they deserve (re: society's view on that individual) based on their actions, not on their motives or inner feelings, because those are only known to themselves. And, for the most part, that's all that should be important to a person, because who really gives a fuck what people think of you. You know yourself better than anybody else (or at least you should) and as long as you are comfortable in your own skin, do what you wish, whether it's logging long hours volunteering and helping the homeless or sitting on your ass and taking bingers all day long. People will judge no matter what. That's life. And things don't always look as they appear. A person working an ambitious position in some up and coming firm may have already have their mind settled, while the person sitting around doing "nothing" per se, is actively challenging his/her mind to the next step. Point is that you never know unless you're that person. If somebody comes up to me and says "Oh you're doing so well, I'm so happy for you" and in reality, I'm doing shit. How the fuck does that comment do anything for me? I'm basically settled and miserable and because of an improper read by another one of society's muppets, I'm supposed to feel some bit of joy. Same scenario vice versa, am I going to get mad that somebody calls me out for "settling" when in fact I have some grand scheme lined up? Nope.

I got a headache. Time to pack the bong. :wavey:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts