Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just had a look through some of the H2H stats between Djokovic and the following players since the start of 2013: Federer, Nadal, Murray and Wawrinka. I was particularly interested in the amount of sets won against Djokovic by each of these players, both in slams and in other tournaments.

I found the following (there may be the odd error in my addition, but it should be mostly accurate):

Wawrinka
Slams: 18
Other tournaments: 1
Total number of sets won: 19/41 (around 46.3%)

Murray
Slams: 9
Other tournaments: 8
Total number of sets won: 17/55 (around 30.9%)

Nadal
Slams: 11
Other tournaments: 8
Total number of sets won: 19/54 (around 35.2%)

Federer
Slams: 7
Other tournaments: 15
Total number of sets won: 22/61 (around 36.1%)

The number of sets Wawrinka has won against Djokovic in slams during this time is pretty staggering, as is the overall percentage of sets he has won during this time against Djokovic.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Wawrinka was arguably the second best slam player between USO'13 and RG'17. (3 titles + 1 final + 5 semifinals + 3 QF + 4R 6-setter vs Djokovic)

Almost no one was able to take Djokovic into the fifth set or beat him at HC slams but Stan the man.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Interesting stats, it would be more telling if you added the total amount of sets played though, Wawrinka probably won a higher percentage of sets than Federer as Federer played Djokovic a lot more. Also why start from 2013? :p

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting stats, it would be more telling if you added the total amount of sets played though, Wawrinka probably won a higher percentage of sets than Federer as Federer played Djokovic a lot more. Also why start from 2013? :p
Fair point on both counts. I have edited to include the total amount of sets played overall, as both a fraction and a percentage.

I guess I started from 2013 as I felt Wawrinka hadn't fully 'arrived' as a tennis player before. I thought in general, from 2013-present, at least 3 of these 5 players have been in really good form most years. You could argue this is arbitrary, or that I'm biased by starting from a time when Wawrinka started peaking as I'm particularly interested in that H2H. Both are probably true, but I thought it would be an interesting comparison nonetheless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts