Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Platform serve is when a player serves with feet apart whereas a player using the pinpoint serve brings his back foot forward during the service motion.

When I was playing, I much preferred the platform serve due to greater stability. This video explains some other benefits:

As far as I can tell, a lot of players with excellent serve to height ratios use a platform stance. Some examples are Federer, Almagro, Roddick, Sampras and Dimitrov. Sure, the list isn't that long, but not many use a platform serve to begin with (10 of the top 30 by my count).

Do you think one is better than the other in general? Should coaches teach one way to begin with? Do you find professionals with platform serves have better serves in general? Or are you just of the opinion that people should just see what works for them?

I think at the very least all young players should give both stances a try, which I'm afraid doesn't happen.

·
Registered
160 Posts
testing both and i feel the pinpoint is giving me more power and the platform more stability. im around 193cm

But i personally struggle a lot more with my toss especially when the sun is shining bright and clear

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
I use the platform serve and always have. I feel off-balance when I bring my left foot (as a lefty) from the back right next to my right one. And I can get my serve going pretty hard without moving my back foot up.

I think if you aren't a tall player using the platform serve is best. But it really comes down to personal preference.

It's funny though because I think Murray would be a guy better served using the platform serve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts