·
Registered
7,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
0-3 vs Isner
1-1 vs Karlovc
1-2 vs Sam Querrey
1-1 vs Kanderson.

3-7 total. Raonic being outservebotted on multiple occasions.

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
Most are flukes.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Yes. I alredy wrote about it before :lol:
It seems he doesn't have a confidence when his opponent has a comparable serve

·
Registered
690 Posts
That's because his second serve is crap compared to true serverbots. He's got a better ground game but that wont count for much when it's a servebot battle. Little to no breaks then the one with the better serve wins the Tie Break.

In fact, at some surfaces Isner's kicker can do more damage than his flat serve. That's just absurd! And Karlovic often enough go for aces on his second serve.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Ivo,Sam and Kevin matches are nothing special but Isner i feel is problem for him - i always had Isner as clear favorit in their matches.

To big server himself to get broken - actulally there were some breaks in their matches even if it went to tie-break i think, but Isner should be to big server to hold at least to tie-break and now where it gets interresting i always felt Milos can´t handle the fact John in tie-breaks gets like 5, 6 from 7 1st serves IN and 2nd serve is also great - so in tie-breka situation is simply Isner better server in term of free points - so if they end up playing rallies on Milos 2nd serves chance for John to get mini-break and far more likely winner of tie-break between them is John.

Against other 3 i doubt this is so important in tie-breaks and just each match was specific like Karlovic matches - 2012 Bangkok i had Milos as clear favorit, back than Ivo was not even serving as good as now and before 2007-09 for example and his game outside serve was really bad and Milos indeed won tie-break and another set by break.

Yesterday´s match was opposite rusty Milos playing in-form Karlovic serving great last few months - so Ivo logically prevailed - but there is no advantage in match-up whatsover here

Isner has match-up advantage in tie-break i think for those reasons i mentioned

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
That's because his second serve is crap compared to true serverbots.
13th on the all time list of 2nd serve points % won at 54%, ahead of both Sampras and Karlovic.

2nd this year at 59%, only Djokovic is ahead of him.

Seems like he's pretty good at winning 2nd serve points. It was an issue when he first broke through. He's pretty good at it now.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Murray and Berdych aside Raonic's H2Hs against good/dangerous players in general don't read well.

There is a reason many were bemoaning his 4-5 ranking besides just disliking his game after all :lol:. Only the most devoted Canadatards truly believe he belongs at the top of the sport.

·
Registered
690 Posts
13th on the all time list of 2nd serve points % won at 54%, ahead of both Sampras and Karlovic.

2nd this year at 59%, only Djokovic is ahead of him.

Seems like he's pretty good at winning 2nd serve points. It was an issue when he first broke through. He's pretty good at it now.

"That's because his second serve is crap compared to true serverbots. He's got a better ground game but that wont count for much when it's a servebot battle."

Read the full quote and if you know something about tennis you'd be able to 'read' the stats you posted.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
"That's because his second serve is crap compared to true serverbots. He's got a better ground game but that wont count for much when it's a servebot battle."

Read the full quote and if you know something about tennis you'd be able to 'read' the stats you posted.
His second serve is not a crap. Of course it's much worse than Isner's but not a big flaw as you act

·
Registered
22,657 Posts

Raonic wins more 2nd serve points this season than Isner, and more in his career than Karlovic.

someone who wins more 2nd serve points in general would in theory win more when he's facing a fellow servebot because the other servebot is horrible at returning. Therefore it's not the 2nd serve points that's causing the issues.

Last night against Karlovic it was the first serve % that was the issue. He had games where he didn't make a 1st serve and struggled to make any in the TB. When you miss a lot of 1st serves, there are more 2nd serves for the opponent to potentially win.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Milos winning a certain percentage of his 2nd serves is quite impressive, but when is he winning them? In a big moment like a tiebreaker or up a set and 5-2?.

·
Registered
22,657 Posts
Milos winning a certain percentage of his 2nd serves is quite impressive, but when is he winning them? In a big moment like a tiebreaker or up a set and 5-2?.
well he held after facing 3+ bp's in a couple of games last night where he didn't make a 1st serve the entire game. He's fairly clutch, those 2 TB's last night notwithstanding.

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Any hint of criticism towards raonic is a "troll thread" :haha:
You're the expert on the subject, you've made much better ones than this.

This particular one doesn't even make sense as the supposed "poor record against servebots" is basically driven solely by a poor record against Isner. And in a very small sample size (0-3) at that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts