Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In its current state, it is an embarrassment of a shot. whenever Nadal applies modicum of aggressive intention with it the result has been cringeworthy the whole 2015, not to speak of regular shanks/net-dumping without any sort of pressure..

I mean Rafa is still good mover and no massive decline on his defense hasvbeen spotted to suggest that he is getting more late or badly positioned to it ..It is almost like he got the yips for that particular shot..

·
Registered
27,280 Posts
Decline and low confidence. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
He traded it in for the ability to hit a couple of ridiculous low stop volleys a match on the way to losing. So basically he's become Tsonga.

·
Bring it Home
20,502 Posts
It's because of his legs. He isn't as fast these days and he gets late into the balls. Just look at his matches on grass in 2006 and 2007.

He was a shitty returner as usual and serve was worst, but he had blazing speed.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
It's because of his legs. He isn't as fast these days and he gets late into the balls. Just look at his matches on grass in 2006 and 2007.

He was a shitty returner as usual and serve was worst, but he had blazing speed.
Except that his FH is at its worst atm when he has time to set it up and is trying to be aggressive with it, not when he's on the run.

·
Super Moderator
9,406 Posts
I watched Nadal practicing in Stuttgart. He very often trained his forehand and both (Toni and him) weren't happy with it. Even in the final Toni Nadal talked to Roig, gesturing somehow Rafa's forehand doesn't look good. However, his forehand seemed to get better day by day, though it seems it didn't work again. Problem is a lack of move, confidence and to hit it with the sweet spot.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It's weird cause he did hit one of his great forehands against Berrer in his first match of the year. But yeah, it's not like it used to be.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i honestly think what's happening to him is that he's not quite as fit/athletic as he was a few years ago. when that happens, it affects your shot making. just by having a bit different footwork (incorrect footwork, of course) can make all the difference especially over the course of a rally, over the course of a game, set, match, etc... the reason i say it like that is because a slight decline in movement/athletic ability doesn't expose you immediately, but over the course of a match/tournament/year it certainly does. we're definitely seeing that now.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Same development as Roger, remember his famous banana running fh? When have you seen that kind of shot? With Berrer in Doha there was one I believe, the rest? Not so much. So no running fh, because of the bad movement. Otherwise his fh is solid, it has a pace sometimes, but he's missing from it in the most important moments like in tb. Either fh in the net or df, depends if he's on return or serve. But yes, it's not that weapon anymore as it has used to be, he can't kill a short ball sometimes. So a solid fh, many times useful, but not enough for Nadal's game.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
99% of Nadal's game is physicality (speed, strength, acceleration). If his physicality is off by a few %, his tennis isn't good enough to beat anyone in the top 100.

I am sure Uncle Toni, and Dr. Cotorro are working on it, however.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
i honestly think what's happening to him is that he's not quite as fit/athletic as he was a few years ago. when that happens, it affects your shot making. just by having a bit different footwork (incorrect footwork, of course) can make all the difference especially over the course of a rally, over the course of a game, set, match, etc... the reason i say it like that is because a slight decline in movement/athletic ability doesn't expose you immediately, but over the course of a match/tournament/year it certainly does. we're definitely seeing that now.
dull's game is founded on the movement/athletic ability much more so than anyone else, so of course even a slight decline in his movement/athletic ability affects his game greatly.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
99% of Nadal's game is physicality (speed, strength, acceleration). If his physicality is off by a few %, his tennis isn't good enough to beat anyone in the top 100.

I am sure Uncle Toni, and Dr. Cotorro are working on it, however.
Dr. Cotorro?
Is that his normal doctor?

·
Bring it Home
20,502 Posts
Except that his FH is at its worst atm when he has time to set it up and is trying to be aggressive with it, not when he's on the run.
Yeah, I've noticed some awful misses from static positions too. Maybe lack of confidence.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts