Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another year is just about over and we have Kei Nishikori reaching the age of 30. We still have yet to see a member of generation useless to win a slam. The fewest number of total slams won over a five year span is just 3. The oldest of those players to win a slam was Manuel Orantes who won a slam at 26 and 7 months.

Current, Dominic Thiem is the only member of generation useless who is in a good position to win a slam. He is now 26 and 3 months, will be around Orantes' age at the French Open this year, and still has very good opportunities to equal/exceed Orantes.

Currently the records are as follows:

Most slam wins (0) - everyone
Most slam finals (2) - Dominic Thiem.
Most slam semifinals (4) - Dominic Thiem
Most slam quarterfinals (12) - Kei Nishikori

Most titles (16) - Dominic Thiem
Most match wins (403) - Kei Nishikori
Most slam wins (95) - Kei Nishikori.

Highest ranking (3) - Milos Raonic/Grigor Dimitrov

Generation Useless has the serious question of becoming the first generation without someone with 500 wins and 100 wins at the slams. The Kuerten generation has the modern record for fewest titles, with Kafelnikov with 26. They also have the lowest best ranking, the previous worst was at 2. The fewest number of QF appearances by the best of a generation is (13), also for Kafelnikov.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also of interest, I believe Haas has the record for the Kuerten generation? 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978?

He has 105 wins at grand slams (Henman has 98, as does Kafelnikov). Did any of the other players in that generation reach 500/100?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it makes sense to include him, because they are five year spans, but yeah. Without him, they likely go slamless.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I wouldn't include Thiem in GenU, which makes things worse for them
Its the generation not the level. Anyway clearly kei has been a bigger sucsess than thiem to date. Wont stay that way but at moment that's fact.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goffin is still 7+ ranks ahead of Stan, and Dimitrov has finally fallen off Stan's pace. That went pretty quietly. So that's a bit of hyperbole. Dimitrov might get one, I have Thiem at 3-5 and Goffin still can't be ruled out for 3 yet. So that's a potential of 9 slams for Gen useless.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
He’s with them in terms of age but I wouldn’t put him with GU in terms of results as Thiem actually beats the big 3 regularly, is a masters champion, and is a multiple time GS finalist. The other members have had a good showing every now and then at a slam or masters but generally just bend over to the first big 3 member they play.

·
justice for all
13,515 Posts
I'm not even sure Dominic belongs to Generation Useless. But if he does, he's in a good position to save the miserable asses of the whole generation by being the only one winning slams.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He might indeed. I also think he's the only one still with a shot at number one, but that window is closing. Rafter got there at 26 years, 6 months. Muster got there at 28 and 3 months. Murray got there at 29 and 6 months, but had won slams when he was younger than Dominic. He was 25 years and six months, (about a year younger than Domi).

So aside from his tennis compatriot Muster, (whom he is ahead), he is behind everyone else's path to world number 1.

·
Registered
14,368 Posts
You are confusing Gens.

Thiem is not part of Dimitrov/Raonic/Nishikori.

He is his own gen.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not yet willing to write off Dimitrov, but the reality is that he has to have a good showing at the AO this year to really have hopes for more than one slam. He's done nothing at the FO and will be 29 at Wimbledon this year. Goffin is only there because of ranking + age. Sadly he's still one of the contenders of generation useless, which I think speaks volumes. He's only made three QFs, losing to Dimitrov in straights, Thiem in 4 and getting blown out by Djokovic.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Another year is just about over and we have Kei Nishikori reaching the age of 30. We still have yet to see a member of generation useless to win a slam. The fewest number of total slams won over a five year span is just 3. The oldest of those players to win a slam was Manuel Orantes who won a slam at 26 and 7 months.

Current, Dominic Thiem is the only member of generation useless who is in a good position to win a slam. He is now 26 and 3 months, will be around Orantes' age at the French Open this year, and still has very good opportunities to equal/exceed Orantes.

Currently the records are as follows:

Most slam wins (0) - everyone
Most slam finals (2) - Dominic Thiem.
Most slam semifinals (4) - Dominic Thiem
Most slam quarterfinals (12) - Kei Nishikori

Most titles (16) - Dominic Thiem
Most match wins (403) - Kei Nishikori
Most slam wins (95) - Kei Nishikori.

Highest ranking (3) - Kei Nishikori/Milos Raonic

Generation Useless has the serious question of becoming the first generation without someone with 500 wins and 100 wins at the slams. The Kuerten generation has the modern record for fewest titles, with Kafelnikov with 26. They also have the lowest best ranking, the previous worst was at 2. The fewest number of QF appearances by the best of a generation is (13), also for Kafelnikov.
It's Dimitrov's highest ranking (3), Nishikori's (4)

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize it was Dimitrov at 3 and not Kei.

·
10,443 Posts
The fact that Generation Useless is turning 30 makes me feel old. They were my generation of next gen.. and were supposed to be the changing of the guard.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Those players they work on net really less... But their mouth works words like next year we see a new gs champion ?... ??????? already theim doing these things... ?

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Its the generation not the level. Anyway clearly kei has been a bigger sucsess than thiem to date. Wont stay that way but at moment that's fact.
Cold hard facts, in fact. Otoh, Kei having fewer titles in total, fewer slam finals, fewer slam semi finals, fewer wins against big 3, no M1000, and no WTF final is an opinion. ?

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Cold hard facts, in fact. Otoh, Kei having fewer titles in total, fewer slam finals, fewer slam semi finals, fewer wins against big 3, no M1000, and no WTF final is an opinion. ?
Fair..your comments suggest otherwise but thiem has stayed injury free. I feel Kei has been better as of now..id be amazed if stayed that way but certainly not much in it. Both really nice guys

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Fair..your comments suggest otherwise but thiem has stayed injury free. I feel Kei has been better as of now..id be amazed if stayed that way but certainly not much in it. Both really nice guys
Then Kokk is a bigger success than both, no? :p
It's tragic Nishikori's career has been plagued by injuries. Great player at his best. Peak level is debatable, too. But in terms of achievements Thiem obviously surpassed him this year.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts