Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fresh off the back of her stunning Wimbledon triumph in both the singles and doubles, Serena Williams took time to settle into her rhythm during a fairly comfortable second round victory on her return to live tennis action at the Stanford Classic.

The American took on 19-year old Nicole Gibbs, and while never in any real trouble, Williams did look justifiably fatigued at more than one stage of her 6-2 6-1 victory.

This is a tournament very close to Serena’s heart. It was the first title the 30-year old won last year when battling back from career-threatening illness, and one she would love to win again and defend her title so soon after her Wimbledon heroics.

The 14-time grand slam winner admitted she hadn’t been at her best during the straight sets victory, conceding that her Wimbledon triumphs had taken a good deal out of her body.

"I couldn't quite believe I was playing today. But I'm healthy and I have a heartbeat so I didn't have a reason not to.”

"I definitely felt sluggish and it was good to get the win over with, I'm still waking up at 2 A.M,” admitted Williams when talking about the jet-leg she was still suffering following her return from England.

With the US Open and World Finals still yet to come in 2012, Serena, who continues to feature heavily in tennis betting offers, will be looking to finish the season with some more titles added to her huge collection.

It’s remarkable that the world number four is in the sort of form where she can beat anybody, especially after all her health problems over the past few years. Who would bet against her adding another grand slam title to her name before the season is out?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts