Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The cartoon is distasteful to say the least. However, people can reach their own conclusions and choose not to support the particular publication anymore, if that is what they desire.

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Well, I dont like Serena or the current outspoken left, but that cartoon is on the edge....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The cartoon is perfectly fine btw. But it seems the trend is to be over-sensitive and to read too much into stuff. Except when it comes to Slavs. Slav bashing is always OK and Slavs standing up against the bashing are apparently just the petty people having the victim complex.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Seems like an off-topic thread to me. Good for the cartoonist, people should be able to draw things like this without worries. If it is in good taste is up for everyone themselves to decide.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's a caricature, which is supposed to accentuate features. I have big eyebrows, anytime anybody did a caricature of my I look like a caveman or something.

Second, if you don't like the drawing, don't buy the newspaper. It's funny that by complaining about it, it actually brings more people to see it, more views on the website, more money, more inspiration to do it again.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
As the cartoon was published, the National Association of Black Journalists stated that "Williams’ depiction is unnecessarily sambo-like". Would agree with that, i.e. the style follows the ol' coon and Sambo caricatures created during the era of American slavery. Figures with "extremely exaggerated physical characteristics, including big red lips, big feet and ears, and bulging eyes."

That said, I think the verdict is correct. Not necessarily racist, at least not intended as such, although questionable nuances are there. More so a poor touch.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

·
justice for all
13,104 Posts
No I meant zebrastripes who's not posting about anything else here. Australia is built on racism, so this kind of journalism suits them nicely. :shrug:
Are you sure of it?

It's an interesting opinion, maybe some Ozzies could comment on this?

US on the other hand is built on PC.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Are you sure of it?

It's an interesting opinion, maybe some Ozzies could comment on this?

US on the other hand is built on PC.
They are now "on the forefront of progressive thought", I doubt they'd like to revisit the dark past of colonization, human zoos and ni**er hunts. US is built on worst genocide in history, even slavery pales in comparison.

I'm all for freedom of artistic expression tho. If cartoonist wants to draw Serena like that, he should be allowed to do it, as are people allowed to judge for themselves how they see his work.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
The cartoon is perfectly fine btw. But it seems the trend is to be over-sensitive and to read too much into stuff. Except when it comes to Slavs. Slav bashing is always OK and Slavs standing up against the bashing are apparently just the petty people having the victim complex.
The cartoon has no problems, I'd even go as far as say it's too lenient for what she did. But where the heck do Slavs fit into all this?

You might not have been on MTF that long (or maybe you have, according to some), but MTF plays no favorites - everyone, literally everyone, is free game for anything from the most innocent banter to vitriol you never imagined could be spewed.

I personally think Slavs in general, and Serbs in particular, are some of the most intelligent people on the planet, and have a lot of backbone. I know a few of them, I worked with a few of them (Romania is surrounded).

You, however, are just trolling again. If you are really Serbian, act like one and have some dignity.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The cartoon has no problems, I'd even go as far as say it's too lenient for what she did. But where the heck do Slavs fit into all this?

You might not have been on MTF that long (or maybe you have, according to some), but MTF plays no favorites - everyone, literally everyone, is free game for anything from the most innocent banter to vitriol you never imagined could be spewed.

I personally think Slavs in general, and Serbs in particular, are some of the most intelligent people on the planet, and have a lot of backbone. I know a few of them, I worked with a few of them (Romania is surrounded).

You, however, are just trolling again. If you are really Serbian, act like one and have some dignity.
You are really obsessed with me, aren't you? I didn't see you call any of the supremacist anti-Slav trolling out, but you are obsessing about me and my posts over and over again. If you continue like that, I'll have to put you on ignore. I've never put anybody on ignore on any forum ever, so being the 1st would be quite an achievement which would speak volumes about you.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts