Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Eurosport, Patrick Mouratoglou reacted:

"Yes, I coached, Serena did not see me, and I never took a warning for coaching in my life ... A referee is supposed to have a little bit of psychological finesse not to ruin Grand Slam final, refereeing Rafael Nadal in the Grand Slam final and Toni Nadal coaching on 100% of the points, I feel like there are double standards. "

Interesting to hear how insiders view the extremity of Nadal coaching and amazing Rafa and Toni allowed to get away with it all these years. At same time- the Williams camp seem to have same attitude that they are above the rules of the game.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I heard Mour and various other ex-players commies (Chris Evert for one) say all coaches do it. Not just Toni/Rafa.

But keep trying to bring down Nadal, I guess you don't have much left to think about in tennis except this.

·
3,235 Posts
I heard Mour and various other ex-players commies (Chris Evert for one) say all coaches do it. Not just Toni/Rafa.

But keep trying to bring down Nadal, I guess you don't have much left to think about in tennis except this.
Ok hold your horses, Roxi. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean that there aren't a few very frequent and flagrant offenders. Toni is one such example.

For this reason, I think they should just allow coaching.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Ok hold your horses, Roxi. Just because everyone does it doesn't mean that there aren't a few very frequent and flagrant offenders. Toni is one such example.

For this reason, I think they should just allow coaching.
Well Toni isn't there any more, if what you say is true, it may be. I constantly see coaches making gestures at their players.

Not sure I want on court coaching for the men, but i think they should stop penalizing all the gestures etc.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I actually don't have that much of an issue with coaching, we've seen many coaches do it, and the players don't always see it anyway. However, when caught, players should just accept it an move on, Ok have a moan and defend yourself but don't complain for 20 minutes and call the umpire a thief and a liar, it's OTT and no amount of deflection will erase it.

I think Ramos was harsh in dishing out a violation with no prior warning, umpires do normally have a word before making it official, but did she really need to invoke her daughter and go off on one? I think not. Also well done to Mouratoglou for throwing Serena under the bus and admitting to signals despite her claiming otherwise. How can this guy keep his job? He was specifically told to stop talking to the press, which we only found out because he blabbed to the press.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
wow. so because Toni does it, that gives him the right to do it? :smash:

And what's with him saying Osaka's coach was also cheating? Where's the proof? I hope he gets canned. But he won't because Serena knew perfectly well he was coaching. In fact Chrissy Evert even said during the match that Serena changed her tactic and started to come forward after PM told her to do so. So, sorry, she does cheat to win (contrary to what she said to Ramos after the warning).

·
Registered
17,271 Posts

"Yes, I coached, Serena did not see me, and I never took a warning for coaching in my life ... A referee is supposed to have a little bit of psychological finesse not to ruin Grand Slam final, refereeing Rafael Nadal in the Grand Slam final and Toni Nadal coaching on 100% of the points, I feel like there are double standards. "

Interesting to hear how insiders view the extremity of Nadal coaching and amazing Rafa and Toni allowed to get away with it all these years. At same time- the Williams camp seem to have same attitude that they are above the rules of the game.
Funny how Serena's coach blames Serena's meltdown on the umpire rather than Serena herself.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Though it's not an excuse, there's nothing wrong with him pointing out the bizarre inconsistency in the "coaching" rule in tennis.

I mean in this tournament Nick Kyrgios was literally coached into trying harder by the umpire himself, even though he was blatantly tanking and should have been penalized. It's totally surreal when you think about it.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Though it's not an excuse, there's nothing wrong with him pointing out the bizarre inconsistency in the "coaching" rule in tennis.

I mean in this tournament Nick Kyrgios was literally coached into trying harder by the umpire himself, even though he was blatantly tanking and should have been penalized. It's totally surreal when you think about it.
That's not Ramos' fault though, it's the lack of consistency accross umpires in the Circuit.

Stuart Fraser summed it up quite well.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ah yes Patrick Mouratoglou, 1 of the biggest frauds in coaching.

An umpire finally grew a pair and stood up to your player and you don't like it, just suck it up and go back to 'coaching' Williams (AKA sit on your ass and watch her serve + ball bash her way through 95% of the WTA tour with ease without any need to change a single thing in her game whatsoever and get paid for it.)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That's not Ramos' fault though, it's the lack of consistency accross umpires in the Circuit.

Stuart Fraser summed it up quite well.

Serena knew perfectly well what she was doing. She was inciting the crowd and disrupting play in order to throw off her opponent. But Osaka was mentally strong (really quite impressive considering the shit show that was going on) and didn't fall for any of it.

·
|
14,307 Posts

The camera goes on Uncle Toni repeatedly and he's completely stoic most of the time.
And other times he's yelling "Vamos!", and that is not coaching.
And even if Toni has coached on the rarest of occasions, Patrick Mouratoglou said 100% of the points and that is the biggest lie I've ever heard.
Toni should slap this clown with a lawsuit.
But the lie was so big, it should be a criminal offence, and capital punishment.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Toni should slap this clown with a lawsuit.
But the lie was so big, it should be a criminal offence, and capital punishment.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts