Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,015 Posts
Vucic is the president, but more importantly he is the leader of the biggest party at this moment. Of course he runs the show, even when he was just the deputy PM it was the same, and he had even less prerogatives then.

But is it that different from Tadic and the Democratic Party led government 2008-2012? No, it isn't. The leader of the party or the biggest party of the coalition that wins the election will run the show in Serbia, just as before.
Agreed, but that only reaffirms my point, doesn't it? He's the leader (which is btw again violating the constitution, the president of Serbia cannot perform any other public function), and she's a nobody.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Agreed, but that only reaffirms my point, doesn't it? He's the leader (which is btw again violating the constitution, the president of Serbia cannot perform any other public function), and she's a nobody.
I am not sure about that, does the constitution explicitly say that you can't be the leader of a party and the president of the nation at the same time? If so, I am against that strange rule, but would support the enforcement. I guess the interpretations differ? I would change that anyway, together with the obsolete rule of so called 'pre-election silence' that violates the right of speech and is ineffective and impossible to enforce in the age of internet. I would change a lot of things if I could, mainly simplifying them. But the mindset and culture of leaders instead of institutions would be much more difficult to change :)

·
Premium Member
21,015 Posts
I am not sure about that, does the constitution explicitly say that you can't be the leader of a party and the president of the nation at the same time?
It doesn't say explicitly you cannot be this you cannot be that, since the list would be endless I guess, however it says one cannot hold another public office (or whatever is "javna funkcija" in English), and a party leader is obviously "javna funkcija". Although I'm far from being a fan of the previous president (Nikolic), he did resign his party position when he became the president.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46772500

Serbia: Thousands march against President Vučić in fifth week of anti-government protests

Protesters say the president has seized control of the media and launched attacks on the opposition and journalists. Marches put more pressure on President Aleksandar Vučić, who is accused of establishing autocratic rule.

The demonstrators marched without incident or overt signs of political affiliation in the centre of the capital, with some chanting “Vučić thief”, or waving placards that said “Enough lies”.

Many blew whistles, a symbol of Serb protests since strongman Slobodan Milošević held power in the 1990s.

Vučić, a hardline nationalist-turned-European, is accused by the opposition and civil society of having established autocratic rule and total control over media, using it to campaign against opponents.

An attack on opposition politician Borko Stefanovic by unknown assailants in November triggered the marches. Opposition umbrella group Alliance for Serbia (SZS) says they were supporters of Mr Vucic - a claim authorities deny.

Most rallied in the capital Belgrade, while smaller numbers demonstrated in the cities of Kragujevac and Novi Sad.

President Vučić, whose ruling Serbian Progressive Party (SNS) holds 160 of the parliament's 250 seats, earlier said he was willing to speak to demonstrators but not to "opposition liars".
Good luck to my Serbian brothers and sisters. This was long overdue, and hopefuly it will fire up opposition dynamics in several Balkan countries which are ruled by authoritarian leaders.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Happy season holidays!

Walk is good to trim your waistline after holiday meals, and for your general health, and also, to voice anger against politicians is always healthy so yeah I support the event.

Thank you ne znam for the support, it is always ok to support totally peaceful protests like this one, and there is hardly any police in the streets. So I am afraid it s not so dramatic. It is a far cry from the times of Milosevic, although lots of people would like to present the picture of the 90s. We can't live in the same movie forever. Vucic and his party will be gone when he is voted out, that's it.

BTW, I won't even start talking about the colorful characters there are in the opposition. They should organize and animate other people to VOTE. they better do something instead of eternal crying and finger pointing. You would be surprised ne znam. Hats off to all these citizens, though, the real purpose is to show there are lots of people outside parties who are not happy with how the things are going , not to change the government in the streets.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Happy season holidays!

Walk is good to trim your waistline after holiday meals, and for your general health, and also, to voice anger against politicians is always healthy so yeah I support the event.

Thank you ne znam for the support, it is always ok to support totally peaceful protests like this one, and there is hardly any police in the streets. So I am afraid it s not so dramatic. It is a far cry from the times of Milosevic, although lots of people would like to present the picture of the 90s. We can't live in the same movie forever. Vucic and his party will be gone when he is voted out, that's it.

BTW, I won't even start talking about the colorful characters there are in the opposition. They should organize and animate other people to VOTE. they better do something instead of eternal crying and finger pointing. You would be surprised ne znam. Hats off to all these citizens, though, the real purpose is to show there are lots of people outside parties who are not happy with how the things are going , not to change the government in the streets.
Thanks for your input, ssin :) Also, happy Orthodox Christmas, to you and your family!

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
For those who are not aware of it: 2019 will be the year of groundbreaking changes, with many political institutions coming to an end or just collapsing...

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
There’s One Country in Europe Where Putin Is a Rock Star

The Russian president’s visit to Serbia was a lovefest—but beyond the odes to Orthodox brotherhood, the two authoritarian leaders are using one another to advance a geopolitical agenda.

There aren’t many places in Europe where a Putin visit would be cause for such euphoria at a moment when most leaders on the continent eye the Russian leader with a mix of suspicion and contempt. “Dear President, I want you to feel good in Serbia,” Vucic said at a press conference soon after Putin’s arrival. “There are a lot of people waiting for you in the streets. All those people … they didn’t come for me. They came for you.”

Tens of thousands of people paraded through central Belgrade during the day, amassing in front of the towering Church of Saint Sava—dedicated to the founder of the Serbian branch of Eastern Orthodoxy—toward the end of the trip, where Putin ceremoniously placed the final three squares, in the color of the Russian flag, on a mosaic for the soon-to-be-completed church, having pledged an additional 5 million euros (about $5.7 million) for the job earlier that day.

For the openly pro-Putin Vucic, the picture is more complicated than it seems. For all his bluster and symbolic overtures toward Putin and Russia, Vucic’s policies are ultimately aimed at the Balkan country’s integration into the European Union—something that gets glossed over every time he and Putin get together.

“Serbian society is traditionally pro-Russian,” the historian Milan Radanovic said. “This makes us very different from the majority of Europe, especially neighboring states, even those who were subject to a much firmer Russian embrace throughout history.” Radanovic explained that although Vucic’s political orientation is toward Western Europe, “it doesn’t suit Vucic and his regime to be presented as a man of the West.”

The country is still nursing the wounds of the 1999 NATO bombing campaign that aimed to end Serbia’s brutal clampdown on the Albanian-majority population in Kosovo, its former southern province. Kosovo has since declared independence and is seeking full international recognition with strong support from the United States, NATO, and the EU. It’s tricky, though, because not only was Kosovo part of Serbia for most of the 20th century, but it is also home to the seat of the Serbian Orthodox Church and countless medieval monasteries.

This is why Putin has such appeal in Serbia. Russia was a major opponent of the bombing in 1999; since then, it has played a significant role in the curtailing of Kosovo’s full international recognitionRussia was a major opponent of the bombing in 1999; since then, it has played a significant role in the curtailing of Kosovo’s full international recognition, both through diplomatic efforts and Moscow’s veto in the United Nations Security Council, the approval of which would be necessary for Kosovo to become a full member of the international community.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Nobody really cares about that flight, there are buses on the same line and few people use them as I understood.
it is one of your symbolic but needed moves. Greece and Macedonia (well North Macedonia now) did the same with Athens-Skopje flights. Regardless of its air traffic potentials, it had to happen politically. Hoping that the relations improve more bilaterally.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
'Flight between Serbia and Kosovo' is like saying 'flight between Lyon and France', a deluded absurdity.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts