Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yea, isn't that something? Serbia, the land of endless possibilities. :grin2:
Nothing should surprise or upset me when it comes to the local politics but this literally makes me vomit. And some other solutions are poor but this is disgraceful, one of key ministries.

·
Premium Member
21,016 Posts
Nothing should surprise or upset me when it comes to the local politics but this literally makes me vomit. And some other solutions are poor but this is disgraceful, one of key ministries.
It's like the famous TV series catch-phrase says, man, do I love theater... but not in my own home. :D They literally gave a gun to a monkey... let's hope it's loaded with blanks. :p

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
It's like the famous TV series catch-phrase says, man, do I love theater... but not in my own home. :D They literally gave a gun to a monkey... let's hope it's loaded with blanks. :p
Nice translation of the phrase :)

The gun has special rounds: blanks for everyone and everything except your own foot.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Vulin as Ministar Vojni is cringe-worthy indeed.

Still Brnabic is a better choice for the PM than the most politicians in Serbia, all parties included. Or I should say less worse, sadly.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
So two 'great' friends met again in Belgrade, then again in Novi Pazar. They even wore similar jackets...

Also heard Dacic singing Osman Aga in the reception...

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
There's no facepalm big enough to describe it
Vulin still takes the cringe cake. With his aunt from Canada.

If Vucic doesn't get rid of Vulin and a few other clowns, he is so losing the next election.

So two 'great' friends met again in Belgrade, then again in Novi Pazar. They even wore similar jackets...

Also heard Dacic singing Osman Aga in the reception...
Erdogan needed a successful foreign trip to show to the domestic public, now when he quarrels with numerous other countries, while Vucic continues with 'we want to be friends with everyone' agenda, which will probably end at some point we'll see when and where.

But those two and Dacic notwithstanding, imo this is not bad for Serbia and Turkey, and I applaud the visit.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Erdogan needed a successful foreign trip to show to the domestic public, now when he quarrels with numerous other countries, while Vucic continues with 'we want to be friends with everyone' agenda, which will probably end at some point we'll see when and where.

But those two and Dacic notwithstanding, imo this is not bad for Serbia and Turkey, and I applaud the visit.

Yes it's a win-win for both, some important deals done during two days visit, I heard. Can't say I complain.

This feels weird when I think of my first ever visit to Serbia in 2007, tension was high the year before Kosovo's declaration, when we went to Serbia's consulate in istanbul with my brother, we were the only one who weren't there for transit visa (truck drivers etc) It wasn't a popular destination at all, people were scared. Times changed of course. Visa-free regime for both nations and fantastic relations. Let's hope it will stay just the same.

Wanted to ask you guys about Eurobasket incident, the coach and some players didn't shake hands with Brnabic in the ceremony, were there any headlines about this?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes it's a win-win for both, some important deals done during two days visit, I heard. Can't say I complain.

This feels weird when I think of my first ever visit to Serbia in 2007, tension was high the year before Kosovo's declaration, when we went to Serbia's consulate in istanbul with my brother, we were the only one who weren't there for transit visa (truck drivers etc) It wasn't a popular destination at all, people were scared. Times changed of course. Visa-free regime for both nations and fantastic relations. Let's hope it will stay just the same.

Wanted to ask you guys about Eurobasket incident, the coach and some players didn't shake hands with Brnabic in the ceremony, were there any headlines about this?
It seems it was a nothingburger as Hillary says because I saw other pictures right from the court where they are hugging. Maybe there was something else there that I am not aware of.

And I agree with you about the relations :yeah:

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Ana Brnabic talks to Croatian press for the first time during her term. https://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/ana-brnabic-hrvati-srbija-1233269

Basically she says she is very hopeful about Croatia-Serbia relationship in the future, wants to resolve border issues as soon as possible, can't guarantee seats for Croatian minority in Serbian parliament but thinks of some other options to deal problems of ethnic minority in Serbia and finally refuses that she is a puppet of President Vucic by saying ''I know who I am and what I am capable of''.

Interesting character for sure.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Interestingly, her father is a Croat and her surname is distinctly Croatian, but it seems she doesn't perceive herself as belonging to minority. And she is gay, so it's double minority in the top executive seat of the country. I like her views and dedication but she carries no real political weight outside the ruling progressive party. And all these things with Russia are being felt more and more here, in a negative way. I wish we could be left outside of all that, but with Serbia it was never possible.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I remember some 10 years ago I had sort of a official visit to Zagreb, 3 of us, and it just happened for various reasons and circumstances that all of us were born in Croatia and none of our hosts, counterparts including their boss were born in Croatia, all 3 of them were originally from Bosnia. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, of course she's not going to acknowledge it, no good puppet would.
She is a technocrat among other few under Vucic, this is not unusual in the practice of European continental democracies, so it is a bit unfair to cal her a puppet. ;) Now, if the opposition leaders unite and come out with clearer picture, it won't be too difficult to replace Vucic and her along him. Until then, I guess we will have to put up with Vulin and similar characters. I haven't voted for more than 10 years now for the lack of a sound option, and if this current apathy continues I am getting out of here, even at my age. I could always do that relatively easily but was too connected to my language and culture I guess, which is nonsense, there is only one life and one world.

·
Premium Member
21,016 Posts
She is a technocrat among other few under Vucic, this is not unusual in the practice of European continental democracies, so it is a bit unfair to cal her a puppet. ;)
Well you've just said yourself she's under Vucic, what is that if not a puppet? According to the still valid Serbian constitution, the president is a mere ceremonial position, while the PM is supposed to "run the show", in Serbia's case it's obvious the things are vice-versa, the president is running the show, and the PM is a mere ceremonial position.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Well you've just said yourself she's under Vucic, what is that if not a puppet? According to the still valid Serbian constitution, the president is a mere ceremonial position, while the PM is supposed to "run the show", in Serbia's case it's obvious the things are vice-versa, the president is running the show, and the PM is a mere ceremonial position.
Vucic is the president, but more importantly he is the leader of the biggest party at this moment. Of course he runs the show, even when he was just the deputy PM it was the same, and he had even less prerogatives then.

But is it that different from Tadic and the Democratic Party led government 2008-2012? No, it isn't. The leader of the party or the biggest party of the coalition that wins the election will run the show in Serbia, just as before.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts